First grow diary:GG4xDreamcatcher

This is my first real indoor grow with a legit setup(to my standards) and with real seeds and not bag seed! This grow is dedicated to @Floyd since he generously sent me seeds when I was trying to find my first seeds online. Thank you so much, this grow is for you Floyd!
So the grow is GG4xDreamcatcher(square pots). Other pots have Valley Ghash/Cake Fighter, freebie from GLG, Which are for guerilla outdoor.
Cab is homemade 37”Wx24”Dx69”H, with SF2000 light, 195cfm vivosun Fan exhausting to outside. Cab is in an uninsulated shed/shop, with no air conditioning, pointless to put a unit in it cuz there is a huge gap all along the whole shed the width of the trusses. Maybe someday I’ll insulate it but not high on the honey-do-list🤪. So this will be interesting how it goes when summer kicks in. Running at night time and holding 86 degrees.
This grow is to witness these plants do what they were meant to do, and breed to make seeds, and hopefully successful so I can pay it forward.

29 Likes

Well thank you and I hope it all goes well for you. You certainly have put in the effort! :grin::+1:

12 Likes

Floyd is SOLID OG. :+1: :+1:

I’m following along as I want to see how your shed works out because I might be doing something similar down the road.

I best get busy loading the bong (Floyd has to close one eye to ‘get a bead on the bowl’ otherwise) :laughing:

Cheers
G

9 Likes

Sounds like a good time to me lol. I’ll follow along

5 Likes

Ya I’m totally stoked about this grow! I completely understand what excitement each of you here experience doing this hobby.
I’m curious about the light height and about dimming. The closeness of the light basically dictates the stretch of the plant correct? The closer the light the shorter the plants internode spacing will be? As long as the light isn’t right up on it. No closer then about a foot correct? I’m at 18” now. Will the light at full strength be too much for newborn babies? Should I dim it or will they be fine at full strength? I believe the SF2000 equates to 250 watts. I’ll try my best to make this grow worth it. Also is there a follow button to follow peoples grows? I already lost several I wanted to follow, I been just going into my profile where notifications are of likes and comments. Is that the only way to find the diaries you want to follow? There’s just so many posts in the grow diaries section.

5 Likes

At the bottom of every thread is a button - usually set to normal. you can choose to follow or be alerted when a new post is added. You can look in your profile to re-trace where you’ve been, then set the follow link to track.

1 Like

I also think it tags a thread when you reply to it, so you get notifications on new posts.

Congratulations on your first grow. I’ll follow along. :green_heart:

1 Like

As far as light height, i would go to 18” and set it at about 30% if your seedlings start stretching just bump the power up 10%. I have 2 SF4000, they work great.

1 Like

Ah so you have experience with that brand, awesome!! The only thing I DONT like about the SF is the dimmer is under the power source so I have to dismantle the light to access it. SF didn’t think that one through lol

1 Like

Oh yours doesnt have the dimmer switch, it only has driver switch. Well, some people turn them up all the way and then set the light up higher, and just adjust light height so your not constantly having to tear that driver apart.

Do you have any way to read LUX? Theres an app that gives a lux reading and you can adjust light height from that. I would stay around 10k or less for seedlings at this stage. Move it a little closer if they continue to stretch.

There are others here who understand lighting better than me though.

3 Likes

Quick update. Plants are actually alive! This is good news. Question. I had all plants in a Walmart organic soil mixed with coco coir. I went to feed store and actually found fox farm ocean forest! Blew my mind. So I bought it and put one plant in it since they were barely popping out. As you can see the biggest plant there is the one in the fox farm soil. Apparently it’s that good! So can I pull these seedlings out and get in the good soil? Or are they too fragile with a developing root system to mess with at this point and just wait til they get bigger to transplant? And also, they are big enough to introduce ferts yes? As long as the first leaves are out?

6 Likes

Definitely hold of on transplanting them right now. Fox Farms Ocean Forest is some HOT soil, so watch that one seedling closely for nute burn. In those small pots give them atleast 10 days or so of good growth before you transplnt. Looking ok, maybe need to lower light? Or turn it up? Still look stretchy.

3 Likes

Nice start so far. Floyd hooked you up good :evergreen_tree:
Nice set up you got there. Good luck.

2 Likes

The stretch is because I left them outside the first 2 days after breaking out of seeds while I redid the intake. We had a huge rainstorm and they were on the back porch not getting direct light. It was very aggravating to say the least.

3 Likes

As @DefNSmokn said FFOF is hot for youngins. I wouldn’t transplant for a few weeks.

3 Likes

Reckon I’ll update, things are going ok but definitely not perfect! The plant in the FF is doing great, it might be the soil, it might be because it was the first plant to sprout and bigger then the others. Genetics maybe? The plants are growing but seem slow. I have been watering a little on the daily because the soil seems dry and light every day I check on them. I’m peaking at 93 degrees so it’s above recommend temp. I did recently learn about a grow technique called LIFTA​:rofl::rofl::rofl: so maybe I’m being too attentive! Leaves are a bit yellow on some. What do you professionals think I need to do? Cal/mag? Start nutrients? The heat only peaks around noon, the lights shut off at 2pm and start again at 8pm and run nicely during night temperatures.

I can’t find my ph tester so I have to order a new one. We have well water and it’s really good water we use it on all our house plants and garden and are beautiful plants. But I’m not very happy how these youngins are starting out so far. But it’s my first grow so this is expected.

5 Likes

Well, after lots of reading and contemplating, I concluded that the soil in many of my pots was a bad choice, and repotted most of my seedlings. Cheap Walmart soil sucks even if it says organic. And mixed with coco coir didn’t add any nutrients. It’s a small town I live in. But fortunately I found FF and another good soil Bacto professional at a feed store. The ONE plant I planted in FF is doing amazing! So let’s see if that helps.

Here is the Valley GhashxCakefighter, germinated on the 24th April, one actually did ok, hope they start to pull through after repot.

Here is Floyd’s strain, GG4 x Dreamcatcher, germinated 21st of April, you can see the difference in size on the one transferred to FF right after sprout. I wish I did that to ALL of them in the beginning, I need these other 3 to catch up!

Now this is a newly planted strain(I had the itch to plant more!) this is another GLG freebie, Wedding Cake x Cake Fighter. Now these Were planted straight into the Batco soil. On MAY 4th! Only 10 days ago! Notice how much faster they have grown! They are already bigger then the stunted ones planted last month! So to the newbies out there, don’t skimp on your soil! You will pay for it! Sorry for all the exclamation points lol. Either way I feel so much better repotting the slowbies, now hopefully we will see a burst in growth in these next couple weeks. The GG4 is staying in the cab so I need these ones to catch up, the other ones I’m not too concerned about since they are going outside. Hopefully this harsh start doesn’t turn them all into males. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

6 Likes

Honestly I’ve already noticed them starting to green up this morning after 12 hours from repot. I know many of you say to practice LIFTA, but I really think this was an important decision to make, especially after seeing the growth rate of the new seedlings in that Other soil mix, and seeing the size of the one originally started in FF. It may be hot, but damn it sure has been good to that plant.

8 Likes

Looks like you made the right call. :smiley: :+1:

3 Likes

First Grow? EXCELLENT progress so far, G-R-E-A-T Mentor (@Floyd), kindly asking if that far right corner of cabinet is open. If not, I’ll find a nice spot and keep watching. Do stay safe, take special care, and be well…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

4 Likes