Germinating very old seeds with success

Hi guys, here is a germination soak that was taught to me by a south African horticultural guru in hot chilli’s. It’s a method developed for germinating old vegetable seed stock but can be used on many different types of seed. Especially old stock that normal methods aren’t producing any results.
Hydrogen peroxide 3% dilute 10ml into 500ml of spring water, let stand for 1 hour,
Soak seeds for 8 hours in an open container/glass etc do not do in a closed container or jar with lid. (there needs to be oxygen available)I usually soak in a shot glass.
then rinse off with spring water in a siv. Now you’re ready to Propagate!
It kills any pathogens & increases oxygen by 60% to seeds. Works on very well with old seed stock! I have done this method many many times with very old seed with great success rates. And nearly 100%success with fresh seeds. I just thought I’d share this with all you Legends, good luck!I hope this helps someone :grinning:

27 Likes

Your method sounds much less fishy than this one:
http://www.earthsongforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15517

7 Likes

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: that’s pretty funny :grin:

3 Likes

I just plant straight in the dirt but lots of guys use a variation of the methods you describe.

3 Likes

When it started off with the mouth thing, I was like “Oh cool! Do the enzymes in saliva help?”

And then it started into all that wook stuff… yikes.

6 Likes

Haha yeah me too :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
The way I got told about this peroxide soak was because I only had 3 seeds of this particular chilli &no way to get more (I collect different chilli pepper varieties and so Neil told me about this method and so I did it and got 3 from3 so then I started doing it on a few more and again amazing percentage success so that was 2 years ago now and I’ve shared the method with heaps of other chilli growers and its crazy the success rates so now I’m sold on it. I know there’s scientific data behind it but I like to see it with my own eyes and I got thinking that there’s possibly alot of people on here with old stock that looks like it would be too far gone but it’s worth trying as I think it would surprise many. :+1: it’s a chemical scarification method. Peace guys

2 Likes

Add a bit of fulvic acid, I use Ful-power, and your cooking with gas!

I do a H2O2, H2O, Ful-Power soak, and just leave them floating in the shot glass till I have tails.

Worm castings tek works great too!

7 Likes

Dude what the literal shit is that? Lol

6 Likes

Plant beans Straight into a hunk of Fresh aloe,Dip the cut aloe in water and let sit for 45 seconds to leech off the latex shake off and plant seeds right into aloe.A good H202 soak in some Soda Water 0ne part 3%!H202 4 parts water extra bonus points for adding Yucca extract powder.It alters surface tension of the Water and gets that water into hard to hydrate seeds.

3 Likes

that was funny.

1 Like

I’ve heard Dragonfly Earth Medicine and Wade Laughter both comment on the whole “put the seed in your mouth so it will produce medicine specifically for you” deal. This one goes a bit further, or the guy has a foot fetish. :rofl:

4 Likes

You put it in your mouth Jake. Enzymes and shit :joy:

3 Likes

Does this method have to do with 2 cups and … Ah, Nevermind :wink:

4 Likes

There’s also the butt crack tek but let’s not discuss it.

2 Likes

I was thinking the same Shit butt didn’t want to say anything…

3 Likes

You know how some guys can open a beer bottle with their elbow…

Seriously though, I’ve had good results with very old seed with no special procedure because they were stored well.

2 Likes

Back on topic, Chimera has a protocol to clean and sterilize old seeds. I did it once, but it was quite time consuming. I think the worm castings tech is the best for old seeds.

4 Likes

That is contemporary Russian neo-paganism based on some books a businessman wrote in the 90’s. Back to the land New Age neo-traditional deep ecology shit filtered here through wook brain

1 Like

Agree with that, haven’t tried myself but @HappyTrees23s seems to be having great luck with that one.

2 Likes

Starting to realize that many seeds from seedbanks are probably older than I thought. So treating seeds like older stock probably makes sense.

4 Likes