Grandaddy Purple - Ken's GDP - Legit or BS?

I was reading through the thread and would like to ask you what is a AC GDP refer to? Is this a website offering, person or?

“Abuela’s Cut” GDP is the select plant i have been running close to 3yrs that works perfectly for my mother in in law. seems to help lots of other people (who have sampled it) with their ailments as well. (chronic pain to cancer to COPD to insomnia to appetite stimulation and control nausea for chemo patients (so far))

it’s turned out to be a special plant, so i have been keeping it alive and now i’m breeding with it to preserve it’s line.

4 Likes

A medicinal god send from mother earth to help ease the dis-ease of mankind! I wish you well in taking care of her for those in need and may she live long!

Can you share the name of the light you use to winter her over and are you outside in a garage, or inside a house? My farmer friend from Alaska, who i help with his plants when he is off to sea told me to build a frame out of 2x2 and use foam for the insulation, then 6ml black plastic the whole outside. Dimension is 8x12, 4ft for the clone mother area, with two or three shelves off to the far end of the shack, and the mothers go underneath the shelving, separated with a trap door to the veg/ flower 8x8 space on the other side of the shack. He used HPS/MH for warmth, and a computer fan blowing air out, ever so slowly, with a couple fans inside. Said its like a thermos in there.

2 Likes

most of my lights are home depot specials daisy chained together. the AC GDP clone mom is kept short. lights are close over the tops. my indoor thread has photos of my setups. i’m all over the place. inside, garage and outdoors also.

i have a “this is sparta” mentality when it comes to my plants. if they can’t hang with the hot or cold, oh well. i have many seeds waiting their turns.

5 Likes

Hey man. Just read your post and wanted to give you a heads up, if you didn’t already know. You are in a legal state. In Vermont you can legally grow 2 plants, 12 if you’re a licensed medical patient.

Thank you! And if I were to be from a non legal state would what I posted be of concern?

None of my business. Just aiming to be helpful to a fellow Oger.

1 Like

Kens GDP is just a special phenotype he found hunting them…then he made seeds and the cut went around and got popular. Really good growers grew it and some awards were giving out lol
I see it less and less now in clone form…it’s been a while actually.

That’s why I just grabbed these old GDP seeds from King Klone here in the Bay Area!
I can vouch for their cuts and clones but this will be my first time using their seeds.

I’ve grown their cuts out multiple times from 2006-2015… it’s Kens GDP and gets super dark purple and super fruity flavor. I heard something about this breeder was friends with Ken and had a falling out or was just giving some seeds :man_shrugging:
first time running their seeds tho

5 Likes

Personally id go with csi. That dude has all the old school purps from Norcal, literally all of them. Im sure he has gdp or a hybrid with another purple clone only. I havent seen gdp in 15 years at least. It was everywhere in the early mid 2000s. Its certainlly one of the better purple varieties and stinky as hell.

Ive always heard kens wasnt legit, some of his were even green? Never saw a green gdp lol, always dark purple. At best his was a hybrid. Just find an interview with Caleb or notsodog they lay it all out. I think its kinda like sour d, hard to find the real one amongst all the “internet cuts”.

1 Like

Mel Franks is more green and Kens is dark purple…he probably just hunted and selected dark purple phenos

And the pics I posted before your comment are seeds from Kens old partner who had some of kens GDP beans when they were working together. King Klone in San Jose CA where I’m from!

I was shocked to see them still in stock lol been thinking about going and buying them all lol

Do some research on KING KLONES in the Bay Area

3 Likes

While not Kens genetics.
Lucky 13 Seeds/Professor Sprout, has a highly worked version of GDP. It is at F5.
Lucky 13, has some killer genetics. Im waiting for the 2025 release of a highly worked 1985 Skunk 1. Its been tested at 22%, which sounds like an honest test vs some of the bs, inflated tests that go around.
Only thing is he is in Canada, so if one is USA, you take a risk with Customs. But, Ive ordered from there 3x in the last 6 months, and 2 times from Hemp Depot, and 1 time from meduser.ca, never had a problem.
Product Details

Genetics: Purple Urkle x BC Big Bud

Variety: 100% Indica

Avg. Flowering Time: 9 Weeks

Yield: Medium to Heavy

Potency: High

More Info: An elite purple strain of renown, and one of Professor Sprout’s personal favourites. GDP is a cross of the heavy yielding BC Big Bud, with the California classic, Purple Urkle. It took a while to get this one right, but we’ve successfully re-created this iconic cannabis legend, now in the highly stable and uniform F5 generation. Expect rock-hard flowers from top to bottom on a branchy yet stout bush. These beautiful purple buds ooze with grapey smelling resin that is harvestable in just 8 weeks, although we recommend a little patience in taking her to 9 or even 10 weeks for additional body effect, enhanced medicinal value, and even more exotic coloration.

In this most recent iteration of GDP we went the distance by selecting our breeding partners from just under 100 plants, allowing us to find some absolutely outstanding males and females and ensure that this generation was even better than the last. Uniformity is nearly clone-like, with only slight differences in structural expressions and terpene presentation. Aromas are grape-forward with skunky undertones owing to the BC Big Bud genes in the mix.

Our GDP makes an exceptional breeding plant, not only due to its IBL (inbred line) status, but also for its resistance to botrytis and environmental stress that has been systematically bred out of the line through multiple generations of careful selection. Having never been feminized, our Granddaddy Purple is extremely stable and even under extreme conditions is highly resistant to intersex traits.

One of our most recommended strains for medicinal users, Granddaddy Purple is profoundly narcotic in effect (ie. pain relieving and sedating) with absolutely zero paranoia or raciness despite being highly potent. For those undergoing chemotherapy, or for individuals with gastrointestinal disorders such as Crohn’s disease or Colitis, GDP works remarkably well at combating severe nausea, stomach pain, and appetite loss, all while promoting deep restorative sleep. When processed into coconut oil or butter and made into edibles, GDP’s medicinal qualities are even further enhanced.

Granddaddy Purple’s trademark purple buds will only reveal themselves during senescence, in the final weeks of ripening given cool evening temperatures. In order to experience the full effect of the vibrant palette that GDP has to offer, it is recommended to taper back nitrogen feedings slightly earlier than other varieties. This forces the plant to catabolize its nitrogen stores which will allow the exotic pigments to shine through and greatly enhance bag appeal and flavour.

5 Likes

Sounds nice. Lucky is a great seed co. Wetokechronic thnx for that information, didnt know that.

1 Like

Something people need to understand is just because some random person gave you a cut, weed, seeds doesn’t mean your shit was really the real Kens GDP.

I’m convinced Canada possibly Europe has its own version of GDP which is big bud x urkle and the California aka Kens GDP is Mendo Purp x (skunk x afghani)

Once you go outside of Cali…it got to a point that it was so popular that everyone was trying to say “this is Grandaddy Purple” when it was OG that faded purple or another strain that gets a little color

5 Likes

Thats true for alot of strains honestly. Hard to know you actually have the real thing unless you can trace it i guess.

1 Like

That sounds fantastic. I could grow that and be really disappointed after that write-up. :fire:

Very true. I agree.

you should have conversation with @Wuachuma about GDP’s origins.

This (also) is the makeup of Grape Ape. Which is imo much headier and uplifting in the mind than GDP. While still relaxing the body. A good Grape Ape was a lot like a grape flavored OG Kush.
Outdoor GA was my favorite strain in 2009.

4 Likes

I’d love to!!! What do you mean though?? He’s the man with all the secretive backgrounds of GDP’s genetics? Lol

Grape ape is a pheno of GDP