Greasy's Journal

Went into tent 2 this afternoon and was blown away by the smell coming out of it. Growing this gorgeous Tropicana Cherries and she is stinking the place out. I bet anyone reading this would think, based on the strain name, it would be a sweet fruity smell coming out of the tent. Just look at these nugs, they have to be dessert strain smelling right?

Nope! She smells like Thanksgiving Turkey slathered in gravy. It’s so strange. I’ve never had a meat smelling plant before. Kinda hoping that it changes up, as Turkey terps aren’t really something I’ve been seeking! Too funny

21 Likes

I’ve had plants like that too, smelled like grilled chicken glazed with honey. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

That’s pretty cool, Thanksgiving weed! The cut you sent me is doing well, I’m just about to flip her to flower, can’t wait to smell turkey terps… haha!

9 Likes

Those look dank as f :100: :fire:

4 Likes

Weird stuff!

Timing wise, if the turkey flavor sticks around, you’ll have it fully cured for Thanskgiving! I wonder if you’ll find the same smell? I was moving plants in and out of the tents today, and the turkey smell is clinging to my arms. Surprised the cat hasn’t been all over me!

9 Likes

Haha that’s hilarious. Can’t say I ever got that smell out of that cut while it was growing, but I could see that fit sure.

It’s especially funny to me because I had my wife smelling some early cuts recently. She got to the Tangie which to me is orange peel terps and she said it smells exactly like a Thanksgiving dinner!

7 Likes

Skunk tangy is straight up orange in your face with pine in the background.

2 Likes

I was stunned when it hit me what it was. It was nagging at me for a but it has the familiarity of smell that is unmistakable!

It’s crazy how we can all experience such different smells. My girlfriend and I are often at odds too, but we agreed on this one!

9 Likes

I actually trust my girl’s judgment when it comes to smells much more than my own, probably because I smoke cigarettes and she doesn’t. Or maybe she just has a better nose than I do, I dunno. She ALWAYS points out smells that I don’t notice until she’s pointed them out, happens all the time.

That “Thanksgiving dinner” smell sounds, uh, interesting haha. My Imperial Majesties both had a very “herbal/seasoning” smell (thyme, marjoram, basil, oregano etc). A friend of mine described it as smelling like spaghetti sauce, but I think she meant that they smelled like the things you use to season spaghetti sauce (I didn’t smell any tomatoes or onions or garlic, anyway haha). I wonder if a similar thing’s going on with that Tropicana Cherry…

5 Likes

We’ll see. I am still hopeful it’s just a momentary smell in the grow. We all know how much plants can change smells as time progresses. Last grow my Rudeboi OG smelled like garbage for a while, and ended up curing to a savory baked good smell, so who knows where it will end up!

7 Likes

@Greasy how is that T1000 looking for yield? Know anything on its effects? I don’t know anyone who has run it, and I’m close to placing an order at CSI.

3 Likes

True dat. My Imperials definitely didn’t smell like marjoram while they were growing haha.

4 Likes

Here you go bud, this was the clone only, I don’t have experience with the seeds, beyond my own reversal with the T-1000:

9 Likes

I don’t think you can beat Iamyou’s description there. It’s definitely a nice plant to run. I think it has that old school indica properties to it where it boosts my mood a little bit after smoking it, which is why I’m keeping it around over the Grape Pie cut, which I still think is an excellent strain, but it doesn’t seem to carry any euphoria with it’s stone. I can try and get it to you again when things cool down, rather than you buying a pack of S1’s from CSI to hunt through if you prefer.

Mine won’t yield great, but none of my plants really ever do. She has a nice little nuggy structure of tight dense buds

Boy did Iamyou knock that plant out of the park. Looks just like how CSI’s does when grown out, maybe even better! CSI’s below:

13 Likes

Tomorrow is chop day for Tent 1 at 70 days flowering. Trichs are looking good, and the plants are looking floppy and crispy. I think this tent did really well, and looking forward to smoking this weed in two months or so! Always bittersweet right before chop day, but I’ll pull through haha.

Blueberry

Grape Pie

Rainbow Belts

Double Dosidos

18 Likes

Speaking of harvest time, what trim scissors do you guys use? I have been using the standard fiskers for the past few years, and they don’t seem to have a ton of longevity. I probably don’t clean them as frequently as they should, but one round of trimming on a couple pairs has me looking for a new product to try out.

8 Likes

Sweet finish on the plants. How’s the drying situation in your new place? Do you just dry in your tent?

I’ve been in the fiskers gang for awhile. I like the spring action on them, but some people hate them. I’ve had mine for years though and they’re still sharp and work well. I see people recommend the Chikamasa scissors often though, if you want to try something new.

6 Likes

I think no matter what if you have sticky and frosty plants then trimming will be annoying with how fast they get gummed up, requiring a cleaning every other bud. I think it was a good point about Fiskars spring action as it definitely helps avoid fatigue if you’re going to be trimming for hours though. I usually use multiple pairs of Fiskars and when all become gummed up I mass clean them.

Feels like an approach where you use different types of scissors / shears in stages for various types of leaves would probably be the best. If you find a good solution let me know… I despise trimming.

5 Likes

Yeah, drying in the tent to take advantage of the carbon filter. I think the humidity and temp should be perfect running, with a portable ac unit going at peak heat of the day. Hoping to really capture the full flavor of the Rainbow Belts 2.0.

I had been using a few pairs for years, and finally bought some new ones last year and both pairs broke right off the spring. Like they are using cheaper plastic now or something. Maybe I got some knockoffs, because its been like a different product. I’ll see if i can buy direct and maybe that will better.

6 Likes

For sure. I think having a few pairs for a session is a good call. I tend to just gum one up and switch to the next. Kinda zone out and realize it’s been way too long without switching and cleaning. Thankfully with indoor the yields are a lot less intimidating!

7 Likes