Greenleaf Nutrients MEGA CROP Q&A/Support/Pictures/Feedback/Anything thread

Auto pots are a gravity system @Olbrannon. Nothing returns to the rez. As the plants feed a float system allows more solution through so the ppm will always remain the same in the rez. Oxygenation in the water using air stones seems to make the ph go up a lot quicker :+1:

3 Likes

Apologies. Bad wording on my behalf. I could have been a little more tactful with the response. Proved wrong/otherwise/different would have been a better way of phrasing it. As soon as the rez is empty Iā€™ll get the pictures on. Maybe I can dump one rez into the other but that will likely disturb the residue and not show the proper extent of the problem.

4 Likes

People like this that have also bought your product thus being your customer? For shame sir how dare I hold an opinion. You canā€™t block people this is not fuck book I wonā€™t post again as I mentioned above whether you address it or not I do not care but I wonā€™t be taking any punishment for holding an opinion. After all this is a community forum like you said so the members here matter whether you like what we have to say or not are the community that youā€™re advertising to.

I do hope you change your attitude though I understand your product is precious to you who wouldnā€™t defend it Iā€™ve nothing against that but CUSTOMERS not simply forum members donā€™t need treating like idiots that have no idea. Food for thought isnā€™t it mate.

1 Like

All that has been established so far is that your tank as a residue on it . Once you get give some better pictures we can comment more about it, but we obviously have lots of experience with Mega Crop so I have a bit of idea what kind of residue is common, and it is organic and cannot damage pumps. Also you would need to give full information about every product that you use or add to your tank also to get full consideration.

You demonstrated arenā€™t will to have a civilized conversation. Do you think that because at one point in the past you may have bought a product from us or gotten a free sample, that somehow that gives you permission to be rude and act like a hooligan? You are very wrong sir.

1 Like

What you are both seeing likely has nothing to do with Mega Crop and everything to do with your water alkalinity or hardness.

Ive been looking into this same problem for more than a year now. It turns out that some water sources just naturally climb in PH when aerated, agitated or stirred - anything that increases aeration, also raises the PH faster.

Turns out it has to do with dissolved carbon dioxide - C02. Depending on the base alkalinity of your water, and the amount of C02 in your air, the water will have a PH that it wants to settle at no matter what you do. In my case, the natural PH is between about 6.4 and 7.2 depending on how alkaline my water is at the time.

I have run tests on plain tap water and tap plus Mega Crop.

My plain tap water may start anywhere from 6.4 to as hi as 7.4. If I PH it down to 5.8, it will slowly climb back to close to where it started out at. If I aerate it in any way, it climbs faster.

Adding Mega Crop actually slows the PH climb, but does not stop it. Its all about the dissolved C02 and how fast it gets into equilibrium with the air in your room.

Adding any PH down increases the dissolved C02 in your water. When that dissolved C02 leaves the solution, because its more than the equilibrium level with the C02 in the air, then the PH goes back up.

I have not found any way to stop that PH rise unless you use buffers like MES or resins in filters - both of which are on the $$ side.

I havent tested V3 yet, but V2 was more PH stable than V1 in my tests with my water - YMMV depending on your water.

These are easy tests to do. Just put some tap water in a jar, check the PH, then aerate in some way and watch the PH over time.

11 Likes

Oh - on the precipitation thing - I get some precip sometimes and none other times. It seems to depend on how much rain we have had recently, so that may be due to alkalinity as well.

2 Likes

what type of precip do you get when it does happen? Can you describe it

The fact that you use kelp extract may be helping towards the brown stuff and precipitation as some algae are known to have ā€œfrothyā€ effect and have sediments, just think with me a little. When I go to the beach at a certain time of the year and the algae have detached and are floating around and come to shore I have always noticed there is always more foam froth on the surface of the water. Algae have surfactants, proteins and enzymes. Just a thought. Not dissing anyone.

1 Like

There are organics in Mega Crop (besides kelp also, there are several), which have properties of organics. There can be some small factors like bacteria/external algae growth, decomposition which may produce a bit of froth or change pH a bit, but nothing to be concerned about.

1 Like

Iā€™m not worried :grin: was just trying to help and thought out loud, brainstorms help to solve.

2 Likes

Very interesting thanks, learned something new. I wonder if I am aerating it too much for how small of a container it is in. My tap water is very soft the website says 30ppm total hardness. it comes out of the faucet around pH 9. After adding the nutrients it comes down to around 6.5 and then I add pH down to get it to 5.7-5.9. So the reservoirs need aeration and Ph down but aeration and pH down cause the pH to slowly drift up haha always something new. Gotta love it.

About the precipitation, I have only had it happen once, it was very very soft and brown coloured. Settled on the bottom but would float around with any agitation. I water with a 1 inch thick hose so I just gave it to the plants anyways.

Edit: that mes seems interesting. So adding some of that to my res would stop or significantly slow down the pH climb? Would love some more info on where to get it/ how much to use. pretty sure its used in that pH perfect advanced nutes line.

4 Likes

We have soft water mate.
You not remember the kid in the growshop that looked like Lurch telling you.

You having a couple beers?

4 Likes

We have hard water mate. I checked via my postcode.

The kid in the grow shop was from a different area to us so likely different water provider.
Aye Iā€™m sat having a few beers. :+1:
Got to be careful what Iā€™m spending at the minute though.

3 Likes

I only see this if I let a sample sit undisturbed. Its brown and soft - not gritty at all. My water and my whole environment is filled with algae/mold/etc as I live in the middle of a literal rain forest. We get close to 50" of rain a year and Im surrounded by 100ft tall pines, firs, etc. The ā€˜soilā€™ where I live is 99% decomposing pine needles, pine cones, and bark.

If Im not careful about keeping light out of my rez, I get growing crap in the rez. Sometimes it brown and sometimes its faintly green. This stuff - which Im pretty sure is different types of algae - coats everything in the system and is difficult to kill.

When I keep the light out, and aerate the system or even just stir it occasionally (Im running a circulating pump in my system 2 minutes every hours right now), I have no issues at all.

If I keep the system sealed up and dont aerate enough, I get nasty smelly water after a few days.

I am quite certain this is mainly due to my water quality. Mega crop may have some stuff in it that settles out over time, but the vast majority of people will be stirring or aerating their rez, so it shouldnt be an issue.

By the way, I also got crap settling out when I tested AN liquid nutes, and Fox Farms liquid nutes by just letting them sit in a jar, so this is not just a Mega Crop thing. In fact the instructions for both state that you must shake well before use, so they know all about it. Even hi end $$$ nutes have stuff that is not 100% dissolved.

4 Likes

This is my old reservoir. The white chalky stuff is caked on pretty good. My pump and lines also were just like this requiring a scrub brush to clean the impeller.

5 Likes

Take a look at the following thread, re: Effect of MES and other buffers, when to use, etc:

Most applicable as a stopgap solution.

5 Likes

Greetings. Iā€™ve been a customer for years. Am I eligible for a sample of the new formula? I just ordered yesterday. Lol Thanks for hanging aroundā€¦

:cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

A white chalky residue is almost certainly just normal hard water deposits/calcium etc. When I have let a mason jar of mixed up mega crop dry out, it left a dark brown residue. Mega Crop is a mostly brown powder and the liquid it forms when mixed is also brown, so brown stuff is what will be left when you remove the water again.

5 Likes

This is from Mega Crop? This is a bit different than previously, this is most likely Calcium/Gypsum (from a combination of hard water and also Mega Crop calcium). Usually I have seen this happen in some of our test systems, when you dump the powder nutrients into the tank, they immediately fall to the bottom and then kind of get ā€œstuckā€ on the bottom in a small white layer. Most of the rest will dissolve out, but the bottom layer sticks a bit. A good solution for this is to ā€œstirā€ the Mega Crop in, or give the tank a good stir immediately when you put the nutrients in. Based on your picture, there seems to be concentrated white powder/residue in a very specific spot in your tank, so I assume this is where you actually initially dumped the MC, and part of it didnā€™t dissolve all the way. So as I mentioned a good solution is to stir it in for the first minute or so, so nothing gets a chance to settle.

If the white residue/layer was move evenly distributed, then I would say its a hard water issue, but since it seems to be focused in a spot where I guess the nutrients were initially dumped, then I think it just didnā€™t dissolve immediately properly.

4 Likes

Hello, there is a coupon on the site that has a 1 time use for free 500g. Have you used it yet?

We are working on a separate promo now as well.

4 Likes