Grove Bags.... Has anyone tried them on a cure?

Same. I use a kitchen scale to measure my rockwool cubes and make sure they are light enough to water lol… I’m not good at guess work…

2 Likes

As far as I understand the meter goes into the stem, so I’m not sure bud density will matter, but I dunno.

1 Like

The video I watched before ordering mine showed the guy testing a bud… :thinking: I never thought to watch another how to. That would make sense though now that I have my grey matter firing on six of eight cylinders. lol

1 Like

It was pretty confusing to look at, I had to actually send them a message and ask.

Here is what they said:

Me

Hello!

I am interested in trying grove bags for the first time and I have a harvest that is about 6 weeks away so I am getting prepared to order the bags and a moisture meter.

I saw that you recommended this moisture meter:

Extech-MO50-Meter

If I understand correctly, I can push that meter into the stem of the largest bud on a branch and look for a 9-11% reading to know that the buds on that branch are ready to be put into grove bags?

I want to make sure I use your product correctly.

Thank you for reading!

Grove Bags:

You got it, i would try to get to the moisture content to 11% please be sure to insert the probes of the meter into the stem and through some of the denser buds.

2 Likes

Thanks. I have these in bags already but the next will be a little easier I’m sure. :blush:

1 Like

Interesting product, and reviews. I can see how the bags would be great for long term storage. Canning jars are designed for, well, canning.:slight_smile: The jars get heated, and as they cool off, the different pressures make the lid suck in, and seal. Just screwing on the ring can’t do that.

3 Likes

After my last burp I am at 65.7% and rising very slow like 0.1% per hour. I am wondering when I can LITFA?

2 Likes

I have weed in jars that have actually improved over 18 months. They aren’t mason jars, they’re the flip top type with a rubber gasket. Humidity has stayed exactly the same too. I love my ikea jars.

3 Likes

62 is my magic number but i don’t use the bags.

3 Likes

Damn the marijuana industry is just forever developing…

LEDs are a thing now a days, auto curing cannabis in bags, all the new crazy genetics…

We’ve come a long way ladies and gentlemen

3 Likes

Yeah, something about “seal them and forget about them” sure does require a big leap of faith the first time! At least I have my sensors to give me a peak.

2 Likes

I must have used them wrong. Stayed at 30 - 35% rh sealed up. I have a bunch more but might not use them. I might try getting it to 62% then seali it, jars seem better but im new.
I cut all of mine open and put them into jars.

2 Likes

Ah I see. I shoot for around 63%. If I planned to keep them more than a few months I would probably aim for closer to 60%.

3 Likes

Here is the response I got. I have to admit the guy took his time and and didnt just give me a blow off answer.

From our research, 58% is actually still ok for the curing. Aside from that, I have a couple notes for you:

It seems you started out too dry on the plant material and overcompensated by leaving the grapefruit in the bag for too long and most likely over-rehydrated the buds. Now the plant material soaks up water, that’s why the rehydration strategy can work. I think if you’ve would’ve checked every 2-4 hours on the RH, that would’ve given you a more accurate result on when to take out the grapefruit rinds.

In this whole process, did you use a moisture meter? Because without the moisture content % of the buds, it’s really hard to tell when your buds were too moist and too dry just by the RH, because the moisture content precedes the RH since the RH is a measure of all the evaporated water from the plant matter itself, so there are cases where the RH can be high temporarily but after the initial evaporation of water, the RH will stabilize.
If you get the moisture content down to 10-12%, the bags will definitely work without a hitch.
Also, the bags were designed with cannabis plant biology in mind, not cannabis + another moisture source, so we understand the RH will fluctuate, but it’s stability is based upon the correct moisture content level in the plant matter itself. We recommend adding in these additional elements of moisture for only short periods of time, definitely not 24 hours, maybe 4-8-12 hours. We want to make sure the moisture content level is stable so over rehydrating will cause a lot of problems, you essentially would need to redry the bud again before using the bags.

3 Likes

My response:

Xièxiè for the excellent explanation, and the I appreciate your thoroughness.

I agree, and I think I understand the mistakes I made.

I do not have a moisture meter. Do I want the type used to measure wood, or the type used to measure “water activity”? The water activity types are expensive.

You say “58% is actually still ok for the curing”, can you tell me what RH range that your research has found to work without manual manipulation? In other words, if I burp until I get there, what RH range, after an hour to stabilize, is known to still support a cure?

If I burp until I get a stable RH of 63% can I then seal the bag and let it finish undisturbed? What is the range I should see before I heat seal the bag??

I am almost there.

Thank you again for sharing this information with me.

It feels like a big risk to “trust” this technology when you only have a small harvest to play with, I would hate to lose it all. Nonetheless, I am somewhat familiar with moisture barrier tech and I believe in the potential. That is why I am trying to understand the concept well.

4 Likes

Glad they responded in a way that indicated they actually read what you wrote :smile:
Seems like a moisture meter is a key part of the grove bag strategy.
I’m interested to see what they recommend for a meter.

Their representative over at AFN said this one was OK:

Extech-MO50-Meter

50$ is a bit cheaper than those expensive 200$ + meters.

I saw guys at AFN using a 20$ meter and they “calibrate” it using buds that they know are cured correctly. Basically press the meter into the stem of a bud that you know is stable at 58-62% RH in a jar, and whatever the reading is, then you know to shoot for that before the bagging.

2 Likes

If I can dry “by the numbers” and achieve predictable curing results, I absolutely do not mind buying the meter.

2 Likes

Well, they never responded to the last email I sent. Bummer, I was hoping to get a dialogue going.

To capture for posterity sake, I will post my data through the end of the cure.

History prior to where this graph starts:

• Put buds in bag, after 2 hours the Rh dropped to 58% and was continuing to trend lower
  • Got worried Rh was too low and added citrus peel to bag
  • Let sit overnight, RH rose to 80%, so I removed peel and burped.This point is the start of the graph…
  • The Spikes are when I burped the bag.

As reference, I put a few buds and a sensor in a small 6oz canning jar represented by the blue line. Note, up until the last burp, the buds were split between 2 bags, so the graph is actually of 2 bags. During the last burp is when I moved the sensor and buds into the glass jar, so that last burp is when the blue line starts representing a glass jar. I burped the glass jar once after that.

4 Likes

@PesticideWarlock This is a thread about people trying a new product and posting their results so others can decide themselves if it’s worth it or not.
Don’t be jealous you can’t afford these. Keep your comments to yourself or leave

3 Likes

I found a product you might like better:

14 Likes