Grow Log: Manifold/Mainline

Flower: Day 5

They have grown about 2" since Sunday. I removed most of the leaves mentioned in the previous post. Those issues do not appear to be spreading :+1::+1::pray:

Added some bamboo stakes and spread each branch out a bit.

5 Likes

Happy , healthy plants nice job

1 Like

Quick update today, not going to bother with a picture until Sunday.

Everything is looking great so far. Noticed during my previous grow the plants were lacking in nutrients a few weeks into flower but I didn’t bother top dressing because I wanted to see if I could make it to harvest. I had nothing but deficiencies after that.

This time around I had a better plan. Top dress at the start of flower and again around week 4. That should be enough to get me through flower and still leave enough time to “flush”.

I’m in organic soil, so when I say “flush” I mean the plant uses up all available nutrients naturally, the soil is depleted and it focuses on using the stored nutrients in the leaves etc… It’s a bit different from the flushing people are doing with synthetic nutrients, if ya know what I’m saying :smiley:

3 Likes

Flower: Day 14

7 Likes

Not the best pics but here’s a closeup:

3 Likes

Update: Day 21 of Flower :slight_smile:

Everything has been going really well. Honestly, no real problems to mention at all. It’s been by far my smoothest run to date… a little too smooth, but that’s probably my anxiety talking hahaha

1. Light defoliation today, also trimmed some of the lower branches not getting light. Everything that was in shadow was removed.
  2. Cut back to just over 1G of water between the plants this week but increased the frequency. They seem happier.
  3. Raptors OG: This plant early on had me worried but now it’s the 2nd best looking in the tent. I’m still skeptical about future genetix but considering my last run with their Unicorn Horn went great they have been proving themselves. I’ll give a more in depth review at harvest.
  4. My rH had spiked up to 67% around day 14 which is why I dialed back my watering habits. It was during the dark period and only for one night. No problems came from that, which is good bcuz it stressed me out for a couple days lol

That’s the update for today. I’m starting to get excited as the plants progress through flower. Over the next 3 weeks I’m expecting the buds to start exploding in size and I will keep you updated as it happens.

Really appreciate everyone tuning in and sharing your input. Thank you :eyes::laughing:

What’s Growing?

1x Raptors OG (Future Genetix)
2x Cotton Candy Rock Candy (Predicative Breeding)
Flower Time: 9 or 10 weeks
Type: Feminized Photoperiod

7 Likes

Update: Day 27 of Flower

It appears I have a bit of a Nitrogen Deficiency :scream:

We are coming to the end of Week 4 and I did notice the early signs of this a few weeks back. I top dressed at the time with some work castings and 4-4-4 All Purpose hoping to prevent it from getting worse.

Dry amendments aren’t available for uptake immediately but by now they should be doing their thing so I’m a bit surprised. These are 9 week plants and IMO it’s a bit early to see the N depletion but we’ll see. Nitrogen is a mobile nutrient (I think) and it’s just a few lower leaves that are affected but when my plants are stressed, I’m stressed too. lol

The stretch is over and I’m sure that used up most of the N. Tomorrow or Sunday I’m going to give my final feeding of bloom nutrients. It will be top dressed and hopefully everything pulls through.

Growth has been strong. Buds are getting fatter each day and some of the smaller fans have a nice layer of trichs forming.

Don’t think there’s any reason to panic yet!

I’ll upload some pics when I get finished with work today.

:pray::pray::canada:

3 Likes

Here are the pictures:

Fairly confident it’s some Nitrogen depletion showing in that last pic, what do you guys/gals think?

4 Likes

Sounds right, week 4 of flower, lower fan being stripped of mobile nutriments…
You have time to hit them with some ferts, but my experience has been once they start stripping the lower fans they seem to throttle back on nutriment uptake from the roots, no matter what I give them…
The best mid-flower fix I’ve found is top dressing with fresh EWC but that’s noticeably less impact than top dressing with the same in veg.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Here’s what I’ve checked

1. Water pH - I adjust so it’s between 6.3 and 6.7
  2. Checked Runoff - it was 0.45 lower than the input (I don’t usually check this)
  3. My rH sits right at 48% (lights on) and 55% (lights out)
  4. Temperature @ 23 - 24
  5. VPD is basically in range
  6. Airflow exchange is good (2fans plus exhaust)
  7. Plants are not over/under watered.

I think this all points to a N deficiency…

The Solution (hopefully):

Using Liquid Fish Fertilizer (5-2-2), take 2tbsp and mix with 3L of water and giving each plant with symptoms 1L each.

Plus, about 400ml of adjusted water to dilute it a bit more. Hopefully we don’t swing this too far in the other direction. I doubt I’ll use the fish fert again as I think it would be overkill.

@Gpaw I was thinking that too. What is EWC?

3 Likes

Earth worm castings, I believe. That or Epic World Cream… or maybe Evening Warm Coffee. Haha no it’s definitely the first one.

You seem to be on top of things. Plants looking :fire:

2 Likes

Epic World Cream… or maybe Evening Warm Coffee

:joy::joy:

I should have known!

1 Like

Quick mid week update:

Looks like the deficiency has halted. Little bit of Nute burn on one of the Cotton Candy as the leaf tips curled up on some lower fans.

Raptors OG: This plant smells incredible and the frost layer building up on the small fans (sugar leaves??) around the bud is soo sticky. It’s early but this could be some dank…

talk to ya on the weekend :+1::fire:

2 Likes

Update: Flower - Day 34 (End of Week 5)

The N deficiency has been resolved. Unless anything drastic changes I won’t be adding any more nutrients from now until the end of harvest.

1. Watering every other day. 1G or less depending on how heavy the pots feel. Adjusting to 6.7pH lately. The plants seem quite happy.

2. Removed the fans that showed heavy N depletion.

3. The smell in this tent is amazing. Mostly fruity.

4. The raptors OG is significantly frostier than the Cotton Candy but the Cotton Candy has larger buds.

If everything stays on track I’m going to have a nice little harvest right before Christmas :slight_smile:

Here are this week’s pictures.

8 Likes

Planning to remove some fans giving too much shade tomorrow. 2-3 per plant should be good

1 Like

trying to identify what I smell in each plant

1. Cotton Candy 1 - kind of spicy, and sharp.

2. Cotton Candy 2 - mild sweet smell, kind of smells like ordinary flowers

3. Raptors OG - heavy sweet/fruity smell, very strong, I can’t pick out anything else right now. It smells amazing

1 Like

Lately I’ve been looking at pictures of mature ready to harvest buds and it got me thinking…

Everything I’ve grown I have likely harvested before the buds were finished maturing.

I imagine it varies from strain to strain but my calyx’ (or bracts for any sticklers out there :wink:) have never looked swollen like the following pic:

fat-smelly-cannabis-cola-sm

2 Likes

Seems like they’re maybe outgrowing the size of the pot. Flipping to flower a little earlier might help keep you outta trouble. It’s an art of guesswork.

But never worry about lower leaves turning yellow, they don’t get enough light so the plant sucks out the nutrients because it’s otherwise not very useful. Like solar panels on a forest floor. The dead leaves feed the microbes and in turn the plant, so if you just leave them on the soil they will be again food. Nothing is ever wasted in nature.

A cover crop will help keep things going too.

1 Like

There is a sound argument for doing just that.

There is a known ageing progression of cannabinoids. Anybody that’s grabbed a bud for a quick smoke test knows, especially when compared to the later cured bud.
Harvesting early will give a different high, it’s up to you to decide if that’s the way to go.
(TIP: do an early and late harvest on new strains)

Really, it’s just another variable you can tweak for ‘dialing it in’

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Update: Flower - Day 41 end of Week 6

One of the Cotton Candy has started yellowing rapidly. These are 9 - 10 week plants so I gave that one a light dose of the fish fert I used before. The idea is to halt the yellowing for another 7 - 10 days. We’ll see if it does anything but either way I won’t be adding anything else.

The other CC looks good. One leaf starting to yellow but I don’t have a problem with that. :+1:

Raptors OG gets stickier by the minute and there’s a pineish smell to it now along with the sweet/fruity scent.

So far so good. Buds look bigger every week and the trichome production has picked up too

Enjoy the photos :blush:

6 Likes