Growing Trees with Meesh 2021

:smirk: I hear it depends on HOW they were made. If through stress then yeah, but if made with a real male chemically altered & pollinating a solid female, then not so much… (?) Naysayers?

:evergreen_tree:

6 Likes

I have been wondering about this myself.
I had an Ohelo Berry from Sebring that was female, then like 2 weeks into flower, each bud on the 2 lowest branches made 1 pollen sac each. I removed as many as I could find. Didn’t know about spraying plants with water to stop the pollen.

Anyway it pollinated itself and a MWCB. Will all the Ohelo seeds be hermies? How many(percentage) would herm on the cross with the MWCB. IDK, been too long since I had any botany or genetics classes.

I have one OB x MWCB growing now in a solo cup. 4 weeks of growth no topping or training, then straight to 12/12. 2 weeks in now and just starting to show female. Wonder if it will herm out, waiting to see what it does.

Might end up with something to pass around, with a warning at least.

6 Likes

There’s a funny situation when you breed with a hermie, where the first generation will be all female; and then the subsequent generations all blow up with hermies. There was a breeder named Soma, who would purposefully use hermies to create feminized seeds, and he called it Rodelization, after his buddy Rod.
(Stupid name for a stupid technique :sweat_smile: )

If you use silver to block the ethylene production on a true female, than your chance of finding a hermie is the same as regular Male : Female cross.

Because the future generations can’t recreate the silver exposure that caused one of their mothers to turn into their “father”, there’s no additional risk of hermies in true feminized seeds.

7 Likes

So far I’ve only gotten herms from fems that were made by non professionals. So far ive never had a herm from a fem from seedsman etc… wonder if that has something to do with it

5 Likes

Makes sense.
Us amateur gardeners are less likely to have stress tested both of our parents before making seeds. The bigger the breeder, the more likely they will have ran the same cut multiple times before deciding to breed with it.

6 Likes

Alright, wishful thinking for today. I’m going to work at my client’s at the beach for a few hours and when I get back home this afternoon all of those unsexed plants are gonna be filled with pistils. Fingers crossed

10 Likes

Any plant that hermies under natural photeperiod … and so early as your one showed is definitely something just done blindly on a whim … sux but yeah… trash em

8 Likes

Iced Cube 3 was male. Trashed to the green waste. One down 2 to go on this strain. Nothing else showing me bits today.

6 Likes

Yeah, there were zero unusual stressors besides normal outdoor shit like wind, no bug infestations, they never even went limp from underwatering or any major nutrient deficits. Just unstable f2 fem seeds me thinks.

Also read that Sour Dubb was a clone only strain and I had a fem seed. lol I’m starting to wonder if some of those clone only’s come from an unstable line to begin with or why wouldn’t the breeder themselves make seeds and sell them? I’m just speculating, but it makes sense in my head. lol

5 Likes

Grow em, abuse em, & if a solid non-herming likeable plant comes out then keep it & breed with IT.

Then repeat the abuse & keep those shitty, weak strains suppressed, :muscle:

I’m 100% cool with f’ed up bagseed, just not cool when it isn’t LABELED :rofl:

:evergreen_tree:

8 Likes

I don’t think I’m very cool with it. Only because I don’t breed or want seeds AT ALL! If people have knowledge of herming, I dont even want the seeds. Don’t even want to take a chance. I only have one window outdoors to grow my yearly bud. Herms stress me out! What kills me is when you tell the amateur that made the seeds that it hermed on you and they say Oh yeah, I found a late nanner and just cut it off, it was fine. That’s how my garden got seeded last year. It wasn’t fine.

11 Likes

Well quick look isn’t Sour Dubb one of the parents of GG4 which is quite well known for herming.

Saying that i have had a few herms from how would you say “professional breeders”

9 Likes

Originally a mysterious clone-only strain of unknown heritage, Sour Dubble is thought to be a cross of East Coast Sour Diesel and Sour Bubble. B.O.G. Seeds . from Leafly

and yes the words unknown and mysterious should have been my clue. I’m pretty sure I did a trade for these and probably just quickly looked at the sativa/indica part. I have no ill will towards the trader (I can’t even remember who it was). I really don’t think they knew. The OG Kush herm from a fem seed last year however, the person did know and never gave me a heads up. I would tell someone if I knew. Just saying.

7 Likes

Yeah, keeping a plant that has a few late nanners for your own smoke is one thing, but passing it on to others, expecting them to think like you isn’t cool.

Like you say, you have a set window to get your grow done, and 2 months of veg, only to find out you have to start over isn’t cool.

Plus, we pass a lot of amateur beans going into the private growing network. I been thinking about how we should try and teach each other how to take making seeds more serious.

Rather than glorify making more beans just for the sake of making them, we should all learn how to correctly make solid seeds for the future. What type of seeds we flood the grower network with now will determine what the quality will be tomorrow.

Just something I’ve been thinking about for around a year. Lots of unintended consequences can be projected onto others even though unintended.

Now, I must smoke even more of this wonderful herb that makes me feel so smart to myself, before it wears off. I’m baked… why don’t we have an emoji with a mullet hair cut and a head band??? :roll_eyes:

13 Likes

Okey dokey, Iced Cube 1 is female! She is super bushy and leafy. All her leaves are petite. Waiting on the last Iced Cube 2 to show. It’s much bigger, less leafy and probably just a better outdoor plant, but if I only get one option then the leafy girl it will be.

Not sure I care if the last Orange Goji is female or not. All 3 are very similar. OG 2 is female and the stinkiest. Think I’m going to plant her. I’m going away for a few days on a romantic spa trip with my sweetie next week. Hoping all the unsexed males are out of my garden by then

15 Likes

The panama garlic haze is already hitting the first trellis layer and she was the last one planted in the ground so far. I suspect she will be a mighty big girl. The SSDD and PWC will hit it in a couple more days too. I’m anxious to get the Orange Goji in the ground. Def this weekend! Hopefully the last Iced Cube will show by then as well. After that any females left will be given away, so I don’t really give a rats ass which ones show first. But I do hope if there are any males they show themselves by Sunday, so I don’t have to worry while I’m away. I don’t think I’ll have to bug Dad to come over to water the cannabis. It’s only 3 days. I’ll water the shit out of them all before I go. The container plants may be a bit pissy by the time I return though, just don’t think they will die in 3 days.

9 Likes

So when I met up with @MidwestMover before he left the state, we had given each other some of our wares. Funny, but I was really fond of the C99 and think about it quite a bit since. Before I waste my time scouring seedbanks, does anyone know if this is still a fairly easy strain to procure? I may want to grow some next year, if I’m able.

9 Likes

This is so rad! Great ingenuity. Cant wait to see those plants fill that space up. Again awesome structure.

4 Likes

After having to pull a herm out last year I made sure to take clones for just in case plants. Its amazing the lessons you learn after some failures.

2 Likes

Lol I wish I would’ve known as I sent some C99 out on here not long ago. If you don’t find it by then let me know, I’ll find a way to get my hands on some. I know @Floyd mentioned he was producing some C99 seeds soon.

4 Likes