Half-assed grow journal

Turns out the LA Confidential x Cocoa Kush was a manly man and got the chop today
Rather unfortunate - I was really looking forward to this one, as it had a really unique stem rub (an I miss the old esko crosses)

1 Like

I also thought electricity was involved, but it seems they hate copper for another reason … icon_e_confused|nullxnull

This is terrific: :sweat_smile:

@sllimnave your plants look great … beer3|nullxnull

4 Likes

Hey, thanks man!

Over the last couple days I did notice some copper spots developing on a few of the plants. Likely a calcium deficiency, from what I’ve been reading. But I wasn’t sure if it was lockout due to low pH or if I just didn’t give it enough calcium based on the size these became (most are 4-6 feet right now).

Checked on water pH and it’s ~7, but I did give the girls a heavy feeding of ferts a few days before I saw the spotting on the fan leaves.

I’m hoping it sorts itself out, but I’m keeping an eye on the situation for sure.

I bought some soluble calcium from down to earth, just in case. We shall see…

2 Likes

I’m afraid bugs have spotted a weak plant and attacked, possibly thrips:

Are you spraying with something? icon_e_confused|nullxnull

2 Likes

I looked through about twenty affected leaves and saw only one bug, but it did look thrip-ish.

Would they be more evident?

1 Like

They use to hide, it’s difficult to see them, try some sticky traps … avatar38|nullxnull

This is how they look:

3 Likes

I’m getting an insecticidal soap together and I’ll give’m a spray down

Outdoors is such a different beast than what I’m used to

2 Likes

Alright, I’m definitely leaning towards the issue being nutrient related - every plant I fed last week is showing this copper spotting on the leaves. Whereas, every plant that I did not feed is showing no signs whatsoever.

The plants I fed are in fabric pots so I thought they might need a little extra nitrogen to prep for flowering and I think I went overboard (leaf tips are also showing nute burn). All the plants I did not feed are in-ground, and the soil was well prepared, so I figured they were ready for flowering and no nitrogen would be needed.

Would a light flushing be advisable?

3 Likes

I agree a light flushing will come handy to reset Good deduction about the watered with nutes - just watered plants.

N is needed to promote leaves production, decrease it as long as you enter in flower stage. Keep spraying, once with buds you won’t be able, I only grew outdoors the first year … :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Did a light flushing and as far as I can tell, there has been no spread of the copper spots - everything seems to be back on track
I’ll probably be taking it a bit easier on the nutes from here on out unless they ask for it :upside_down_face:

(thanks again for the continued support @George !)

2 Likes

We had some pretty wild weather last week. 80-100mph winds that the weather dorks seemingly had no prior knowledge of. There were no emergency alerts or anything, yet there were multiple tornadoes.

Useless.

Anyways, luckily I was home and noticed the sky turning pretty quick, so I ran out and added a few stakes to my pots. Most 5 gal containers fell over, but that might have actually protected a few plants, cuz the rain that came with it was a branch snapping dump.

I straightened everything after the storm passed, and all the plants have perked right up. Looking great again:

8 Likes

Guess you can talk about a “stress test” :see_no_evil:, glad they resisted well … beer3|nullxnull

1 Like

Just seeing how long it’s been since my last post, I’m realizing how quickly the weeks of summer are passing by. I haven’t been able to make any weekend getaways and had to skip my family trip (mostly) to care for this garden.

These ladies just keep drinking…drinking drinking - so now I’m thinking thinking thinking…that I’m putting next years crops strait in the ground (which I prepped the last few years). These fabric pots just don’t retain enough water to keep them happy for more than a day. Plus the few plants I put in my raised bed are at 10 feet as of right now, so there’s that.

2 Likes

So here’s a little photo update.
The Mystery plant lost it’s tag during the tornado? a few weeks back. For whatever reason, this brings me joy.

The Thunder Rose plant is weeks beyond everything else - it started flowering before I could get cutting, or move it outside - but its rockin’ right now. It’s a beautiful deep green, doesn’t drink too much, and is stacking weight like crazy.

Enough words, here’s some photographs:

!

5 Likes

Fabric pots will save you from having root rot and overwatering, roots also have more oxygen, they retain less water but you can always add more perlite. Your plants look great, keep us updated…
beer3|nullxnull

2 Likes

Oh for sure! I’ve been using them indoors for years for those very reasons - but in there I managed the plant height/development and they would give me a few days between waterings.

With outdoors, I assume most of those conditions should be kept in order just planting in the ground (as long as it’s properly cared for).

(@George thanks for stopping by again! It’s nice knowing there’s another person keeping an eye on things (besides my electric meter guy, :upside_down_face:))

1 Like

I always love watching beautiful big outdoor plants, I cannot grow outside for illegal and dump weather, just one for testing mould resistance and noticed roots went through fabric pot bottom to the prairie soil, another advantage if you don’t move them…
Pirata|nullxnull

3 Likes

Ya know, I considered cutting out the bottoms entirely, giving them a mini ‘raised-bed’ effect. Thinking back on the storms that came through and knocked a few down, this probably would have prevented that a bit. But then again I would worry more about snapped branches, so ya know…who knows!?

2 Likes

mr sllimnave, you posted photos above that looks like it could be cal mag you need. The pic with the spots. Then since they are in smaller ( but more then adequate) fabric pots they look hungry . If your organic get a an all purpose dry amendment blend like Happy Frog or the ones from Hydro Farm/Aurora . Liquid/ bottles nutes would work too. also iron, molybdenum, sulfur and manganese don’t get enough attention… No doubt your gene choice shows you know what’s up.

1 Like

Ayyy whats hapnin dude!

I agree with you on all fronts - I have been adding in calcium the last couple weeks since the spots popped up and things have gotten back on track. It’s kind of crazy how much these plants have been able to eat though - I’ve mixed in a ton of extra dry amendments throughout the later vegetative stages and these first few weeks of flower (basically every other week). In addition, I’ve been watering in liquid bloom ferts probably every 3rd day, and there are almost no signs of tip burn. I’ll just say this, I can’t believe they aren’t burnt to shit right now.

1 Like