Hash Making Revisited

cool cool - i figured… oh well, i’ll try again next weekend and thanks!

you’re stuff looks amazing!!

1 Like

The dry ice makes the plant material super brittle where as washing with ice keep it wet and together.
You can be super aggressive with ice and water and still get barely any plant material in there. Plus you can wash the plant material out before you collect.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure I failed in that last rosin press. I mean… things liquefied and I got rid of plant fibers, but it wasn’t clear like glass. I didn’t wait for the hash to dry, instead I took it wet almost right from the bags after I made it and pressed that. I’m going to try again! I don’t give up right away I want to just move from making the hash to pressing it then curing with no freeze drying in between. It’s just something I want to try out and see if it works.

7 Likes

I tried squishing some fresh bud there was so much water that everthing just mixed together like a runny mess… live and learn and smoke one or 2 :dash::dash::sunglasses::v::canada:

5 Likes

Hey my stupid camera is working again! As soon as I purge the memory, I’ll upload the picture of my fuckup. IT was still pretty good because I managed to get the plant fibers out and achieve a 90% yield :wink:

11 Likes

Kinda looks like the micro plane stuff you tried. :thinking:

1 Like

Yah I think it liquefied and squeezed through the folded over opening of the micron bag. Everything started out good, then after 60 seconds there was a surge of goo. Any trapped moisture didn’t seem to have an effect… unless that was the effect hha hahh.

1 Like

Do you have any advice regarding Rosin press components? I was considering getting a pair of 3x5" press club plates (~$400) and a 6-ton A-frame bench shop press from Harbor freight (~$80) and I was wondering if that would be a good way of going about it. The plates are 6061-T6 aluminum.

3 Likes

I find it’s actually not much more expensive to purchase a press than construct your own.

2 Likes

Do you have any recommendations for presses in that general price range? It seemed to me like a lot of the presses made from quality components were well over $6-700, with some in the thousands. It seemed to me those components would be the majority of what’s necessary for around $500

1 Like

A friend just gave me a trash compactor. I’m thinking of using the thing to build my own press.
We’ll see if it has the pressure. I’m guessing it’ll run around 400 lb or better, just guessing though.

2 Likes

From what I understand, the kind of press you need is defined by the pressure you need to produce to press your material. For pressing full melt hash you don’t need much pressure even 700 psi is probably overkill. The plate kits you just attach to an hydraulic press. So you’re looking at the price of the press as well as the plate kit and also putting it together yourself. It’s the price of shipping that kills it heh heh. So if you are buying a press that weighs 40 kilos, prepare to pay serious loot.

1 Like

The harbor freight press is like $80 and I would be picking it up locally in-store; I think the shipping on the plates is free.

A 6-ton hydraulic jack is 12,000 lbs of force, dispersed over 3x5=15 square inches. 12,000/15= 800 psi, so it’s in excess of what I’d need for pressing full melt hash, but I’d like to be able to press dry cured flower as well, and it might be useful for pressing lower-purity hash as well.

2 Likes

What temp did you press at with it still being wet?

1 Like

64C is the temp I’m using for the hash.

My fridge rosin is definitely cured up. I’m hoping the same happens with the freeze dried hash… That I can achieve stability at room temp using this method. I was at my friends place last night and gave him 2 rips of the screw up rosin where I didn’t get it right. He was fucking ripped out of his tree. Asked if that was the stuff I won the contest with lol! I told him it was an experimental batch where I didn’t get it right. Said I’m a rosin head now, I survive off that shit.

hmm the top isn’t quite totally dry there’s a bit of stickiness left.

10 Likes

That looks like something that would sit me on my ass :fire:

Nice :star_struck:

7 Likes

So I’m pretty much convinced my 160 and 120 bags are swapped. I remember running some test batches with all 8 bags. The 160 was always empty. When I swapped the 120 and 160, both had something in them. Might explain why I’m getting so much in my 160 micron bag. :thinking:

4 Likes

Good catch!
The difference in the weave should be visible with a 30x jewelers loop.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

What’s odd is the screens are stamped properly.

1 Like