Hash Making Revisited

Yah, good advice on the mixing part, don’t kill the plant material, just mix enough to make bubbles. No vortexes.
Hey, It’s hash making day!

7 Likes

I wrote I was making peppermint iced tea.

7 Likes

Now if there is a delay between making the batch and squishing the batch, I’ll just toss it in the fridge to keep cold while I heat up the rosin press. Keeping it in the fridge for an hour while I did shit, didn’t seem to make a difference. I didn’t have to wait for it to thaw out like when I keep it in the freezer before fresh squishing it.

1 Like

Here are more boring details.

I rinse the hash with water until there’s no more green. You can already see the whiteness of it, a very excellent prize winning batch if I say so myself.

20 Likes

Holy fuck mr propeller! I was waiting for lift off .
Excellent looking hash.

5 Likes

I made bubble hash today, too! It’s made from dry cured because that’s what was available, and it’s not quite so white, but it’s a nice tan bit of hash. Here it is after freezing for an hour or two:

Also I splurged on a set of press club plates! I just need to get a shop press somewhere local (they seem to be in the ~$100 range) and I’ll be able to start pressing!

14 Likes

Here’s my pressings for the day! The huge chunk of hash has now been changed into a thin nothing.

11 Likes

It’s pretty decent, I don’t see much plant material! Trust me though, the best flavor comes from the fresh buds.

4 Likes

it’s hard to see the rosin on the parchment, that’s how white it is. Doesn’t seem to freeze dry as fast as the hash. It’s still spitting and bubbling even though it’s been almost a week since I made it.

10 Likes

oh, I forgot I had a strange observation… do with it what you may. I put the fresh hash ball into the fridge on a piece of parchment and kept it there for hours to see the effect. It got strangely dried on the outside and hardened up, so it was difficult to crumble into bits. I’ll toss that observation down below and let it ferment for a bit.
Remember the problem I had with stabilizing the hash at room temps after freeze drying? I think some dedicated time in the fridge is changing it. It looks like it’s solidifying but I’ll have to check it by opening the container and touching it. It would be nice if I can solidify the freezer hash so it’s not sticky goo at 20C, instead stays like a kernel.

6 Likes

ok, that worked. Those sparkly kernels are definitely like a diamond! I can’t crush 'em with my fingers. Yo, that’s going to be fun experimenting with this batch! Woah, Nelly!

13 Likes

14 Likes

The chunky rosin has reached the ball stage, where I can take a bit a let it warm up then roll it into a ball. I’m actually really…really curious about what is going to happen in another week. Is the product I make in the freezer going to actually be superior to the one dried on the shelf? Answers coming up in a month, hah hah! It’s got a different fruity flavor than the meat breath. I can’t wait to do some more meat breath runs and see how that chills in the freezer. I forgot how fun new stuff can be!

16 Likes

I’m just sitting here praying for the day you’ll ask for testers

Dibs

6 Likes

I’d be hitting the Dibbs button on that one.

3 Likes

Let me make sure I’m following along, this is the stuff you pressed wet and are now drying it in the freezer?

3 Likes

Yah, my latest cray-cray idea. I pressed the fresh bubble hash and now I’m freeze drying the results.
I’ll eventually make a decision matrix to determine the best method, like I did with the hash.

7 Likes

The Downside is I’ve been taking the terpenes out and dabbing their ass. I’ve already puffed 50% of that shiny terpene layer! I mean… uhh someone else did it.

10 Likes

ok!The terpene layer of the rosin has stopped spitting and hissing. So I think the ice sublimed now. Took 9 days. I’ll give the chunky bits another week before I test it again. The chunks might have been too large and solid to freeze dry in an expedient manner. I think the color is off the charts though!

4 Likes

here are the terpene layers. You can see frost crystals on the newer one still. The older one has no white dots.

11 Likes