Hash Making Revisited

here are the two chunky layers. I think they might have to turn totally white? Not sure, yet.

18 Likes

That’s gorgeous bud, you truly are a master at your craft

4 Likes

I cant agree more very nice work

2 Likes

Beautiful work I’m very impressed

2 Likes

Thanks, peoples! I figure I have to crank at least another 150 grams of rosin to be considered a master. I’ve definitely passed the threshold of ruining it lol! I have to admit, I’m really picky. Those failed batches are just laying around in the freezer untouched. I remember when I thought it was good. Welcome to last month!
Hah hah after I finish baking bread and hamburger buns, I’ll crank out another hash batch. There’s lots of materials down in the freezer still. mmm, the freezer smells like fruity rosin every time I open it. It’s the Freezer of Delights.

9 Likes

Just wasting some time waiting for the dough to reach room temperature again. I can ball up those hash chunks I stabilized in the fridge. Eventually I’ll see if they have as much flavor or different flavor from the freezer chunks.

9 Likes

ok! I’ll admit… I baked and baked then I watched cartoons and slept. Hash Making? What’s that?

Thought I’d do some myth busting and hash making!
So you need a “gap” between the screens to make the hash? How about no gap at all? Guess what? It works the exact same. The screens are made with micron precision to keep objects that are bigger than the mesh in the bag. This means the 95 micron trichome cap will definitely get stuck inside the 90 screen when I take the bags out. Not the 220, and not the 25, but the 90. There is no alternative to that outcome.

4 Likes

ok, so I didn’t use the fancy thermometer for baking and cooking, instead I used the cheap ass canadian tire laser worth 19.95. I mixed the batch at 18C in the room, and the water coming out of the tap said 8 degrees. Once I added the frozen buds and ice it was -8C and after mixing it came up to -3C. The mixing batch itself seems to hover at -2.6 to -3C. Basically just cold water and ice needed.

3 Likes

ok first… I grabbed a bag that had an H on the side, so I tossed that back. So yields are down hah hah. Good news? Another prize winning batch! I have to remember to quickly whip the 220 sack out of there before the fibers get a chance to drain through and wind up in the hash. I think that’s the only thing that can trip me up nowadays is letting the floating green fibers flow down into the 90 sack with a flush of water when I take the 220 out of there.I just gather the top of the bag then quickly lift it out into a container I’m going to use to toss it in the compost. I try not to let the water flow from the 220 into the 90, because of the danger of plant fiber contamination you could see I did it two batches ago and got some green I said it wasn’t prize winning.
Edit: 11 days ago, that batch had lots of green fibers.

12 Likes

The fridge thing is fascinating me, so I’m wondering if I can chop it up easier if it’s harder or what? Also…could it dry in the fridge? Like, I wonder if I could press the rosin then let it dry in the fridge? Or dry some hash in the fridge? I’ll come up with some clever monkey idea.

2 Likes

So I pressed some rosin today for the first time! My jack is a bit underpowered but bottle jacks are cheap, or I may pick up a 12-ton press that someone is selling locally for $40.

Either way, here are the results:

First some dry cured flower rosin made from garlic budder (stole a taste and it’s extremely stony)

And then some of the hash I made earlier! Had a blowout (suspect error on my end, the stitching didn’t fail, the hash just gooshed out a bit) but still got a nice color and I may just double-bag the blown out one and press it again!

13 Likes

Looks pretty good! Probably too much pressure on the blown out one.

1 Like

I Take bags and soak in 99% alcohol, then filter thru 3 coffee filters. Let liquid evaporate and residue is yours.
I have found I miss the fodder that comes with collecting all screens in bubble making except kief, and the last salvage. Not sure what it is but I like black hash the best and @joecrowe , have you ever squezzed the full melt, delicious also, but I do want everything you squeeze also, sendin addy… Attaboy!

4 Likes

That last batch has been in the fridge for almost 24 hours. It looks good! So what I’m going to do is press that hash and leave a small bit in the fridge to dry. I’m really curious about how it’ll turn out.

9 Likes

@JoeCrowe some of those hash roll ups! Also have a tray drying in the freezer. Thanks for the inspiration.

12 Likes

wow looks creamy! hah hah I just need a little sniff!

2 Likes

Alright according to the hot ass knife test, there is no water left in this hash. I smoked those little balls, yum! So it took 24 hours for the water to evaporate in the fridge with no real extra help by cutting it up. Next phase? Pressing time!!! yay! Then I will know for certain, if there is no water left in there already, by dosing the hot knife with some fresh rosin. I have my fingers crossed this quicker method will be as good as the freeze dried.

8 Likes

crap man my brain sure formulated a new plan with the fridge observation real quick. I’ll change processes in a second, if it works out as good. I’m not married to any particular idea.

2 Likes

ok well I ruined that batch hah aha well partially anyways. I took that bag and crunched it up into another bag then did the terpene run. I went overboard with the pressure, what a maniac. I should have just let the machine run it’s program but I got impatient… big mistake.

8 Likes

Parts of it are primo. There’s definitely a little bit of water left. Ohhhhhhh well!

5 Likes