Hash Making Revisited

well, I’m ripping some freeze dried FLC-BX1 and it’s not bad. I can’t wait until the larger batch is freeze dried so I can rosin press it. Could it be… that you could alter the terpene profile during the press, depending on the technique? I guess it would make sense that doing the multiple pressings and extracting some thca crystals could alter the results. If different levels of terpenes are extracted during different pressings, the results should be… different. chuckles

5 Likes

That’s something I need to learn how to do.

3 Likes

The terpenes all have different heat tolerances and different boiling/sublimation points, as far as I know… with enough experimentation, you could probably figure out exactly how much heat and pressure are required to extract each terpene. Assuming the info isn’t already readily available, that is. It might be. I was gonna look it up, but then I got high… :wink:

4 Likes

I like that. The part where you said to high. That’s how friends meet.

4 Likes

Hey y’all, I’m in my first grow…
But my s
Brain wants to think ahead and prepare for future hash making lol…
Has anybody used makeshift vacuum dryer for hash?
I was thinking yesterday about its working principle and thought to myself, why not a pump with pressure cooker work?
Itsgot the sealing and strength, so I goggled my thoughts today and voila,

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.instructables.com/Pressure-Cooker-Vacuum-Chamber/%3famp_page=true

Do provide your thoughts on this…

4 Likes

Slap that thing inside a freezer, and it’s a freeze dryer pretty much. Great DIY project, but really overkill, I think.

4 Likes

well… They aren’t drying out very fast in the freezer as large chunks. I have been wondering if I could speed it up by just flattening out those larger blobs into thin bits. That definitely would meet parameters for freeze drying. Unlike the chunks.

9 Likes

I’ve had my beer froster locked since I put the hash in Monday night. Forcing myself to practice some LITFA. :rofl:

10 Likes

Haha too funny

1 Like

So no frosty beer since Monday dam that’s a tough one. Locked out of the beer and hash things are tough in your neighbourhood,

6 Likes

how do i know when its dry enough to remove from the freezer?

5 Likes

You can try ripping a bit and see if it spits water, or press on a bit and see if it crumbles.

4 Likes

thanks, when i press on it most crumbles to powder but their are some harder parts in some of the small chunks still

2 Likes

I can usually seed darker spots where there is still moisture when I move it around a bit.

4 Likes

Yah definitely once it stops changing color it’s dried out. The water makes it darker!

6 Likes

Oh there’s another test as well! you take a bit of it and let it thaw out then squeeze it really hard between your thumb and finger, in between parchment layers. If a water drop comes out then it’s still got water.

4 Likes

as i pressed any of it now it just powdered, so i left it out over night and rolled it up into this half ounce ball, any tips on curing this anymore? i know you seal your rosin in the fridge for a month does that tech apply here as well?
I really appreciate the guidance

11 Likes

well, I don’t roll it into a ball, but if you want it to stop melting and stabilize I have been experimenting with that process. I put it in the fridge, then I take it out and in the sealed container still I let it sit on the shelf until it solidifies into sparkling nuggets. Normally, I just keep it frozen.

But here are some blobs of FLC-BX1 I took out yesterday to trial the water content. I am not sure I heard any water vaporizing, so now I would take this and seal it up and put it in the fridge until it’s not sticky. Then I take it out and put it on the shelf, unopened. Leave it there until I can open it and touch the hash and it’s hard and sparkly. Phew! That’s all the details I’ve gathered from my own observations and trials.

9 Likes

oh the time frames involved are not solid. I haven’t played with the process as much as I should have in the last run! I think I did something like let it sit in the fridge for 30 days, then on the shelf for 30. I’m sure those experimental numbers can be shaved down with actual day to day observation.
Oh shit, I should do a stabilization run I have so many containers now.

4 Likes

Alright! The cruft there in the corner of the top jar is prize winning bubble hash. Or what was left of it before I ripped it all to my coconut! Then I set up the next batch. So the clear container with the white nibblets is on the shelf only in a sealed container. The Government containers are in the fridge, and sealed. I put different kinds of hash in each one, so I can surprise myself with yummy goodness by trying them to figure it out :wink:
I will be checking on things in the shelf jar, as I suspect it’ll melt down first right? Once it stabilizes or whatever happens, I’ll check the fridge ones. I don’t want to open the jars too many times due to condensation forming on the inside. You have to warm the jar first then open it. I suspect sealing the jar and not opening it also helps trap volatile organic compounds in there. I know if I toss some food in the hash freezer, it’ll taste like weeeeeeeeed after a bit.

13 Likes