Hate towards hydro?

I grew them from seed using the tips from Dr Barney. He retired now, but did a complete study on the plants. I sprouted them in 4 weeks using peat moss covered in saran wrap. They need ph<6. Fucking rats ate my berries though. The study was from university of idaho.

1 Like

Hmm now that has me thinking lol. Gotta looks into the process for bamboo rods.

3 Likes

lol That’s where I shine :wink: is getting sticks from the cannabis. I use a knife to whittle off the side branches and strip the bark. Then I polish it up with 600 grit sand paper and rub on some bees wax. Regular candle wax works too. It’ll feel so polished after that it’s slippery smooth.
I use the sticks to make these crazy origami mobiles I sell.

4 Likes

You triggered flashback to 2017.
These could have made some great rods.

Not a fan of outdoor.
I would rather run hydro. :100:

(Can full of colas)

9 Likes

I always feed my plants performance enhancing drugs😆

Imho though it’s more likely to pick up residue from soil based grows…

2 Likes

We all do mate we’re human😆

1 Like

Awesome idea, I might end up doing that

I love hydro, once you have your system dialed in its very much so easy…and you dont have to water every 3 days…

7 Likes

Very interesting, are you under lighting your canopy?

4 Likes

Yes, its not gonna hurt them…

3 Likes

Curious as to what your experience has been by employing that technique. Have you seen an improvement … lower bud development for instance or are there some additional effects you’ve noticed?

5 Likes

My lower buds are not as airy, a little more compact and more trichs bromigos…

7 Likes

Thanks, it’s a interesting technique having thought about this on and off. Never really tried it myself mostly because time and space. It’s cool to see and hear about the results from someone doing that.

3 Likes

When your growing you can’t be listening to everyone’s opinions, I mean they mean well but sometimes you just have to stick with your own original plans/ideas…a lot of people told me that adding lights on the bottom is useless/worthless 18+ years ago but I can see the results myself…it’s your grow do it the way you want to do it…btw, people told me all Phototrons are crap and a waste of money…but I still grow with my Phototrons my way, hydro SWC/TRON…my Phototron buds are just as good as anyone here…

General smoke report thread

6 Likes

Lighting is such a sad, poorly marketed, and misunderstood subject, especially since LED emitters are widely used now.

Question: why do high end blurples still outyield and produce more terpenes AND cannabinoids than whites?

Because whites are marketed by ppf/mol, and those are only really aimed at chlorophyll a and b. Many growers figure that if you dose the fuck out of your girls with a 3k-3.5k with jacked up 660nm emitters you’ll be slick as Willy, but there are fuckin 8 other pigments that are being ignored for the most part, one of them peaks at around 525-530nm called anthocyanin, it’s absorption spectra is GREEN, and guess what it’s function is. FLAVONOIDS. Are we worried about getting a 40% green spike in our spectral outputs? Naaaaw.

This marketing shit is so rudimentary right now it’s sad.

Wanna know why outdoor plants taste so much better than the indoor plants grown under the $1500 cutting edge white LEDs with reds? It isn’t the soil, or the nutrients, or the substrates. It’s the lighting.

If your weed tastes weak, it’s your lighting. It has always been your lighting. Sure there are other factors in root and foliar nutrition, but without the right lights, your plant simply won’t perform up to it’s genetic potential.

Also, UV emitters are trash and a waste of money, and the Emerson effect is just phytochrome doing what it does.

Living soil, hydro, coco, doesn’t matter…shitty lights make for lackluster flower.

Rant over, back to light mixing. :v:t2:

Where are you seeing these?

My white LEDs watt for watt are twice as good as my blurples.

4 Likes

What blurples have you used, because my Black Dog xlu 1000 produced FAR better flower than my Gavita with Samsung emitters. Both potency and terpenes in a 3.5x3.5 with CO2. I sold the Gavita and frenkensteined my BD with a new set of drivers, only ever replaced it because a driver went out. Handled the heat with upgraded fans running on another new driver. New, I paid 1300 for it and I didn’t use anything else until I started building my own.

Also, fuck efficacy in the ass. I’m not a commercial grower, an extra 30 bucks a month ain’t shit to a pimp in a closet or tent. I’d rather push 1k than 750 if the extra 250w are yielding non negligible improvements on density, flavor, and potency. Also, the common logic is go hard on the red, but blue is where the stomal action is best, so if you’re supplementing CO2, a hard leaning red spectrum is pretty much a waste of time in comparison.

Kind goes hard af too, but you gotta use a lot of wattage per square foot with CO2 just like Black Dog to really appreciate the difference.

Wow that black dog is expensive.

I just run a small closet at 300w and it suits me.

If anything in a perfect world I’d look for something that’s 5000-6000k not because I think it’s good for the plants but because it’s easier on my eyes.

I have a mars blurple in my veg tent and it works fine for that purpose.

I spent $300 15 years ago on a 28w blurple. It was cutting edge at the time. Now it’s a POS.

2 Likes