General smoke report thread

thought it would be a cool idea to start a thread where anyone from OG can chime in at will and submit a smoke report. include as much or as little information as you’d like, and feel free to add your own version of a report if someone else has already covered the same variety. everyone is included whether you grew it or not, as long as you can describe what you have and upload a picture you’re all set.

having all of our input situated in a singular location could not only be of great benefit to everyone as whole but especially to those of us who seem to get lost in the vast world of genetics and forum boards with scattered smoke reports despite being able to articulate what we’re looking for in a strain. that being said i’ll go first…

bubba’s gift by hso

grown in reg promix under 1000w DE. this particular one was pulled at 46 days and the feeding regimen was as follows

always ph between 6.1-6.4 but never below 6.2 in flower. no particular reason, just how I was taught and it’s always worked for me. plain RO water after every 2-3 feedings regardless of week or stage.

w1-w2 GH armor si @ 3ml/g , GH calimagic @ 3-5 ml/g (all of them seemed to love cal-mag esp. in veg but didnt require much N), GH micro @ 8ml/g , and GH bloom @ 12ml/g

w3-4 GH micro @ 8ml/g, GH bloom @ 15-16ml/g

w5-7 plain RO water @ double the amt I fed them at normally

have ran through quite a few of these over time and there are 2 or 3 distinct phenos (more variation but it’s more or less 3 of them and any offshoot is a stronger or weaker version of 1/3) I’ve observed in a pop. of 30-50… the purple you see in the pic seems to be the dominant color for 2/3 of them and one of them remains greener with yellow/orange almost golden hairs. this report will be focused on the pheno in the pic above, however i’ll run down the other two smell/ taste wise real quick:

2 of 3 (purple) - smells earthy and sweet without a fruit smell but the smell is all undertone and no “top” if you follow… taste is basically how it smells but deceivingly enough despite how I described the smell as being all undertone the sweetness ends up making a nice top accent when actually smoked.

3 of 3 (green-yellow-orange/gold hairs) reeks of an foul earthy “foot cheese” scent if you will… definitely threw me off as this one really has nothing in common besides earthiness with any of the other ones. tasted of a woody kush, almost hashplant-esque…

on to the main report…

pheno 1 (seen in pic above) which was dubbed “the strawberry” developed the smell of strawberries about 3-4 weeks into flower and it only intensified as the weeks went on and the flush was underway. The dried and cured (5 days dry on lines in pitch darkness @ between 55-70F and 35-55 RH w/ about a 1k cfm fan running 24/7. curing = burp twice daily in jars. age in pic above = 1 month) flower reeks distinctly of a unique smell I can only describe as strawberries covered in cherry flavored gasoline… currently on my second joint of it since starting this post and the taste reminds me absolutely of a cherry soda.

on some hits you also catch elements of that same earthiness I described in “pheno 2/3” with the sweetness present in “2/3” being gone in “the strawberry” and notably replaced with a spice that packs a punch. the first flavor fades out and the spiciness comes in as it gets smoked down more, but it is far from intolerable! in fact by the time you get down to that point you will have caught a nice warm head buzz that (especially if you’re listening to music) continues to morph throughout your face and gains somewhat of a trippy quality the more you smoke…

as it sets in about 20-30 minutes later the heady starts to lift up and there is a nice relaxing body buzz. you never really feel insanely stoned even if you smoke a lot so the effect ends up tapering off very smoothly and without headaches or a burnt out feeling. it’s very easy to find yourself reaching for the jar again after a short while :grin: im sure this pheno could end up with a very heavy indica couchlock effect should you take it to 8 or 9 weeks & really push it but this one is usually flopping over from the density by the time its approaching day 40 and personally I get too damn excited to smoke the stuff already!

as with most things kush-like you generally wont find a lot of yield very quickly here but with such a short flowering time and great quality medicinal properties its hard to go without if you like indicas as this seems to be a great one for around the clock… distinct highlight on daytime use since you never feel too stoned to move. its relaxation paired with the trippy head quality makes thoughts very out of the ordinary and interesting instead of a mind numbing couch lock (which obviously also has its place, not knocking varieties with such an effect).

all in all as an indica lover id give this pheno a solid 7-8/10. if it were grown by someone with more experience im sure it could end up hitting a 9 or a 10 for me as well as many others. thanks to anyone who took the time to read this far and peace to all OG members, past present and future… on to the next report!

21 Likes

I edited the first post to a wiki so you can start a list of the strains in the thread. That way when someone comes to the first post of the thread they can see what strains have been tested and are listed in the thread.

7 Likes

awesome idea! thanks @Viva_Mexico !

1 Like

This is cool. Thanks for the detailed report.

2 Likes

appreciate it man. my pleasure, thanks for reading :sunglasses:

2 Likes

hso chemdawg “lime pheno”

grown in reg promix under 1000w DE. reg version, not fem. 60/40 MF ratio… no hermies… pulled at 65 days. dried 6 days, cured roughly 2 weeks in pic above/during time of smoke test. roughly doubled in size over the flowering term. threw lots of pistils quick early 12/12 but took a while for her to develop any notable density. next time running an hso chem i will take it 11 weeks as i had phenos i left for 10 that look and smell great but just still not developed enough.

all that said, this “lime pheno” brings some serious potency with her… have been smoking for nearly a decade and go through quite a decent amount of headstash so needless to say when something hits me hard i take notice… and that she does. the “jet fuel” taste hso advertises on the package isnt present in this pheno however the effect can absolutely be likened to jet fuel. within 2 or 3 hits my head felt as if it was floating and it became very easy to get lost in thought… started to feel as if i could see the music i was hearing with my ears… closing your eyes will have you seeing all sorts of random shit after you smoke enough of it.

definitely not something to use if you need to accomplish anything since it becomes too easy to get sidetracked. i can picture this effect being enjoyable when you have free time to do any leisure activity you enjoy whether it be walking, reading, listening to music, playing video games, shooting the shit with people and so on and so on…extremely “up” effect, nearly all head and the furthest from a body high she offers (in my experience) is a punch in the chest propelling you further back into the heady…she is without a doubt the kind of flower that will leave you with a stupid smirk on your face for no apparent reason… :grin:

flavor-wise the taste is a sharp menthol dipped lime slurpee type of stink…not quite fruity on the smell itself but has a little bit of that sour pine scent in there, enough to make your nostrils burn if you put your nose in the jar and take a good whiff.

depending on how much you consume it will effect whether you feel less or more foggy when the effect is wearing off…almost that same sort of slowed down body effect you’d feel if the effect was wearing off after smoking a nice affie strain but this is all up in the head… usually smoke two joints back to back on my tests… so after a break, relighting the second one halfway through and taking a few more hits I could almost instantaneously feel the visual and audio effects creeping back up.

personal rating-wise i’d put it at an all around 7. hso chems continue to surprise me with their variety…while i have not personally found any phenos so far that hold the real actual “chem” taste, i don’t doubt it could be hiding in a pheno but even if it is not i am pleased with every single one I’ve tried!

it is also to be noted that nearly all of them seem to stay a lighter green although hso claims you can find purple phenos. the “lime” pheno in the pic above ended up having a nice red tint on the leaves a few weeks before she was pulled but that’s the most color ive seen in them so far.

even if they didn’t entirely capture what the name advertises hso has still created in their “chemdawg” line beans with the potential to produce multiple phenos holding odd and funky scents all unique to themselves…

thanks to anyone who took the time to read… peace to all on OG!

11 Likes

Thank you. Good to know. Im planning on popping some HSO Bubba’s Gift for this year. Ive heard good things, but possibly a slow grower?

I found them to veg quite slowly with very little stretch in flower but that may of been the cut I ran.

Was a lovely smoke though with purple and lime green buds.

Matanuska Thunder Head smoke report coming soon…grown my way SWC/TRON…

Phototrons…SWC/TRON

7 Likes

Matanuska Thunder Head by @PhilCuisine

Initial thoughts…

The first thing that came to mind when scoping this flower out was how oldschool it looked. Nice chunky buds that aren’t extremely tight like modern kushes. The leafiness added to the personally of the buds giving the sense that this one isn’t going to be like everything else I’ve run into around here. I had read that Blockhead was so named cause of its square-shaped flowers and that trait is definitely visible in these. The smell is mild and is something along the lines of cedar/spicy. There is also a good amount of trichomes. Certainly different than what I’m used to seeing… Got to appreciate treats like this in life! :slightly_smiling_face:

Let’s smoke some!

Taste: The taste is similar to the smell, mild and with ever so slight cedar-like notes in there. I can also taste just a hint of cloves on the back end. Again, think oldschool.

High/Stone: Definently on the indica side (which I expected) comes on gently the first 20 minutes then creeps into a thicker head stone. Very calm body high that gradually morphed into me forgetting the TV remote was in my pocket the whole time while I hunted for it. It isn’t anything immobilizing, more like a couch invitation than a couch lock. Indeed, very relaxing. I have sleep problems and this one seemed to gently lull me to sleep more than strait put the lights out. This would definitely be a good choice for winding down at the end of the day without wanting to pass out right away. At the same time it was easy to get bed after smoking a joint following a bowl, uncommon for strains that aren’t intensely strong for me.

Potency: 6/10 --First, let me explain how this scale works. 10/10 would be one hit and your dropped. I have never experienced this but people swear it’s out there. 1/10 would be something like hemp with zero buzz. 4-5 would be moderate, with 9 being the strongest I’ve had to date. I have a very high tolerance, one puff of this was enough for my girl as she rarely smokes.

Length/Duration 1-2 hours for a bowl, 2-3 for a joint.

Medical? Yes. I could see this being useful for taking the mind off aches and pains, and being conducive to sleep while not forcing it. A good late afternoon into the evening strain.

Negatives? Can’t really see any, maybe the milder smell/taste but that’s personal opinion and I really quite enjoyed the oldschool experience.

Awesome job on this one Phil, it reminds me most of Northern lights but it is really its own thing. I would love to try the original Matunuska Thunder Fuck and do the comparision but no doubt you would too! Those little Phototrons can rip, keep it up!

7 Likes

definitely a thread worth resurrecting, but you might be better off making a fresh new thread “Smoking Reports”. Maybe in the smokers lounge? just trying to be helpful.

1 Like

I try not to manhandle the buds so you might have to do some fine detail trimmings before you smoke it…Also this is how I like my buds compact, never been a fan of rock hard buds…In rock hard buds the trichs are on the outside surface but in my compact buds the trichs are all over through out the buds and in the nooks and crannies…T5’s were used throughout the veg & flower mode…This was also hyrdo, shallow water culture and I used Technaflora BC nutes and chopped down at 69-70 days…

1 Like

No worries on the trimming, the smoke was very smooth even with the leaves and I rather enjoy the more unprocessed look. Never was huge into rock hard flower either, totally agree with you on the surface having more trichomes. With the less dense buds you get way more internal surface area. Good run, I enjoyed it and thanks again!

1 Like

The other bud was grown 3yrs. ago and not sure what it is because I forgot to label it but it did come from a great lineage…

1 Like

I ended up finishing the rest of the MTH last night, I’ll try that tonight.

1 Like

Yes, the original Matanuska Thunder Fuck is very Sativa dominant…Hopefully I can find a Sativa dominant Matanuska Thunder Head because I have plenty of seeds…My next project is Vietnam Thunder Fuck and I have 3 seedlings going right now…This is probably the first time you smoked buds that was grown in a Phototron…

In the old Overgrow from back in the day I always told people not to underestimate the power of Compact Fluorescent Bulbs and the Phototrons…

3 Likes

Nameless flower (aged 3 years) by @PhilCuisine

Initial thoughts…

Very orange colored flowers. Looking closer I can see orange/red stigmas draping all over the bracts. The ones on this flower are very thick and numerous. The smell is musky but not in the same sense Afghani varieties are. This smells more perfume-like than comparable to skunk spray or body odor. It’s a very dark floral type smell that has no sweetness whatsoever, kind of hard to describe. Not strong but tickles the nose. Lots of visible trichomes here as well, not overhandling makes a difference.

Let’s smoke some!

Taste: Very mild, I’d say has a “woody” taste to it, not quite as distinct as cedar though. It tastes less dark to me than the MTH.

High/Stone: Indica. The onset with this one is quicker than the MTH. The stone to it is also slightly heavier and just has a general sense of being thicker and having a stronger sedative quality. This would make sense as there is probably a higher CBN percentage in its cannabinoid profile as a result of the aging process and degradation of THC.

Potency: 6-7/10

Duration: 2-3 hours for a bowl with a sleepy comedown. A joint put me to bed.

Medical? Yes. Definitely would be of interest to those who want a restful night sleep without being too sedated. No hangover the next morning.

Negatives? I wouldn’t smoke this in the day as it’s sleepy weed.

@PhilCuisine I personally liked this a little more than the MTH as it’s a little closer to what my personal taste is. Both were excellent and really had a craft cannabis personality to them. And yes, this is the first Phototron weed I’ve ever had and it’s great! Really shows what you do with the light is more important than just wattage alone. Spectrum playing a role too. The shallow water culture setup is cool. I’ve always been fascinated by hydroponics and want to play with it at some point, the plants seem to love it! This is neat, I appreciate the kind gesture and like what you’re doing. It’s unique. Keep on keeping on!

6 Likes

This is what another guy said about the unknown strain.

Dude, that smaller one is delicious! And smells great!

2 Likes

Just packed some more up and smoked a bowl. Going to head out and do some some fishing, and also check on an outdoor plant. There are lots of subtle smells in there I keep noticing. Just got a whiff of lemon zest on this bud I broke apart. It will be all gone before I even discover everything in it lol :laughing:

1 Like

I’m waiting for another friend to chime in and do a smoke report…