Help me figure this out, is it a deficiency?

Ok so I need a USB microscope for better identification basically. I swear those white specks look like shards of ice/plastic & not eggs lol

Lots of stuff flies around in there it’s hard to tell

@ifish with a 1-gallon sprayer… last watering I gave them all 1/3rd gallon, time before I did 1/8th gal. So I guess I overwatered & choked 2 of them maybe?

1 Like

It’s the sprayer

Your covering the whole top layer of soil will a small amount of water each spray totally saturating all of pot slowly from top to bottom leavin little air in pot

Better to pour a ring around pot 1 inch from rim , water gets down deep quicker while not over soakin saturating the top half of pot but as it reaches near bottom it spreads out , thus creating wetter bottom but dryer top kind of
Easier to visualise than put in words
: )

If water is poolin a lot on top of pot as you water then add yucca to water and watch the second time you water it goes deep quick

2 Likes

Thanks @ifish , I will mix my Yucca etc in sprayer, shake it up… then pour into solo cups & pour water in like you suggest instead :+1:

Would you suggest a neem ipm spray at this point or maybe spinosad? Or do I need to identify insect type before doing anything as @George suggested. It’s gonna take a few days to get a microscope.

You can afford a couple of days to wait for microscope , also nice to have a form of spinosad about the grow room incase of emergency’s if you can afford it

1 Like

I like spinosad kills everything in 2-3 applications for veg time and stretch only
Neam just knocks population down only to come back again I find
In summer when bugs outside plenty I would spray my plants in veg or stretch once just as preventative ( spinosad does no harm to plants ) if I have some lying around

3 Likes

@ifish I bought spinosad months ago, just waiting for this day, I’m itching to start spraying! :laughing:

2 Likes

If you see bug with microscope then I say fire at will lol

I use this off and on in veg and up to 2 weeks bloom. Works like a champ for preventative. Spinosad is great shit.

I use the same bottle I use for kelp foliar feeding. PIMP

2 Likes

Thread made it 70 posts before everyone jumped deficiency ship and start chasing invisible bugs. That’s a record for Overtgrow.

Everyone knows what deficiency this is.

Please share what you think it is :+1: @SKUNXERO

2 Likes

I do not.
Fwiw I get white specs sometimes from Silica or Epsom sprays.

Maybe Boron? :joy:

3 Likes

The ones I’m seeing look kinda like shards/chips of ice, or fish scale. They don’t look like classic insect shells but we’ll see Saturday when my microscope shows up.

1 Like

Could it be perlite dust?

Here is my guess as to what is happening with those plants.
I don’t use a soil with ferts in it.
The reason is…you never know what those folks put in there and how accurately they put it in there.
Anyway
The plants look like they were fed well, then something happened.
I would say it could be they have too much food in the soil or it is running out.
Could be just imbalanced too.

Are the new leaves getting stripes on them?
Do the new leaves turn green as they get older?

1 Like

Could be perlite related? I’m pretty sure i saw this on my last grow too (the white/clear stuff). This is only my 2nd grow (if you don’t count my teenage ones lol) so I’m a total newb & have no real reference yet. They do look a bit better after I laid off watering for a few days. Perhaps this is all from overwatering?

Here’s some pictures from today though…

This plant (below) was the worst & droopy for 3 days but is finally perking back up.

3 Likes

Man for some reason this kinda reminds me of kelp.
Have you used kelp?
Does the soil have it in there?

The yellowing leaves don’t look that bad on their own.
But those big leaves are very dark green so in contrast they may look more yellow to our eye.
Another reason I said kelp is look how squat/bushy those plants are that is usually a sign of something like kelp in the soil or being added.
It will usually yield the dark green leathery kind of big leaves too.

Overwatering can be contributing to the yellowing too.

Try to let them droop a bit more.
When it looks like they need water but have not drooped watch em several times a day but give em no water/food.

You are watching for the lowest leaves to really droop.
It will slowly work the droop up the plant, if you check it several times a day at this point you will know exactly when it starts to droop and water/feed it ASAP.

Take note of how many days it took to wilt.
That is your watering cycle.
AKA wet dry cycle.
X amount of water every X amount of days.

If possible try to get your water/feed cycle down to every 3-4 days.
In other words your plant should be just about ready to droop but not show any signs of drooping cause you already know when to expect it.

Also when watering try to water around the edge of the pot to encourage new root growth, this also keeps the rootball a bit drier and helps prevent overwatering.

To me the little spots on the leaves look like a slight bit of over feeding or a calcium issue that looks like it fixed itself.

I really would not change much, maybe get the wet dry cycle a bit better.
If those lighter leaves start greening up after they get a bit older you should be golden from there on out.

I truly feel they will. :sunglasses:
Good luck buddy!

3 Likes

Ocean Forest might have kelp in it, I got Recharge (which has kelp) but i haven’t used it yet. I will take your water advice though for sure… I figure I’ll have a better feel for it by the time this grows over & knock it out the park next grow :+1:

1 Like

I think you may just hit the wall on this grow.
Sounds funny, you know almost outta the park. :rofl:
BTW
I checked this thread out earlier, you were in good hands with all of the great advice.
You had the heavy hitters in here already

But when we became friends I had to come back and give my 2 cents.
In other words, I don’t wanna take anything away from those fine folks, giving out that good advice before I started yacking here.

4 Likes

Plants look better. Probably just over loved.:wink:

5 Likes

I think we are going off on tangents here… The answer which would resolve the original issue was provided in the first four posts :joy: All the rest is fluff, recap, and speculation.

I see you have posted a pic showing an RH of 44: That is really low for a vegging plant and can produce the same crinkly leaves your plants have… similarly to too high of a light or nutrient level… which was the conclusion of my previous observation.
I would dial in the environment to get the humidity levels raised to a better range the plants will thrive in.
And then remember to give it some LITFA so it can do its thing :sweat_smile:
Best of luck, bud! You got this.

2 Likes