Hittin' the highminwin road.. my first grow!

meanwhile, let me catch you up on my second set of seeds, which once they’re sexed out i’ll be sending the females to my grower friend in san diego. down there, they will get plenty of tlc and outdoor sunlight. that’s why i want to have this third set of seeds ready to go, so that group can take over my main tent once my first grow is harvested and the second group is off to its foster home.

i documented my selection of seeds in AzSeainDooin420’s thread on Identifying Gender From Seed here…

just a quick recap of that thread, AzSea feels there are certain physical traits of a seed that can give clues to the gender of a seed. i’m photographing the seeds trying to document these features, hopefully selecting the seeds which read as female, and then i’ll grow them out and we’ll see whether they turn out to be female or not. if the hypothesis is even somewhat valid, that could save us all a few weeks of work and labor when we’re trying to grow females.

so for this second set of seeds (which are headed down to outdoors san diego), i wanted to go with strains from colorado sativas. he’s got such a huge selection of amazing sounding sativas and crosses, and his prices are honestly some of the best out there ($25 for 20 seeds). my san diego grower buddy prefers sativas, so i thought this would be a great opportunity. here are the strains i selected…

• queen mother: (8-9 weeks flower) “This tall and elegant Sativa has always been our favorite plant, not for its intense flavor or for its amazing production of crystals that dazzle, but for the unique stimulating sensations it produces. A genuine “mystical experience.”
  • new caledonia: (13-14 weeks flower) "New exotic pure sativa from the remote Pacific island of New Caledonia that our team has recently reproduced and that has us completely mesmerized with the quality of its sweet and fruity terpenes and by its powerful euphoric, ‘good vibes’ and premium psychedelic sativa effects, to the point of being considered the best pure local sativa we’ve offered in many years.
  • nanan bouclou: (15 weeks flower) “Seriously acid trippy profoundness to the high with a sweet aromatic taste. The mother plant is a Haitian Sativa and its father is a Cape Tribulation Sativa (which is Papua New Guinea Gold). The high is profound and very trippy, is creepy in onset and rushes hard from there to a limitless ceiling.”

some interesting choices, especially considering the flowering time of the new caledonia and nanan bouclou (13 weeks plus!!). these plants are going outdoors though, so i intentionally picked two strains which would take a hella long time. ain’t no indoor grower got time for that!

he’s got one of my cindy mixes right now and i’ll hopefully have two queen mother females for him, both of which should be quick flowering strains (8-9 weeks). then the new caledonia and nanan bouclou will come in during the home stretch and we can enjoy that during the winter. at least that’s the plan!

lets see some pics!

started germination on 6/18 in moist towels placed inside zip lock bags and left on a heat mat. most sprouted tails two days later, with the exception of new caledonia 4 and nanan bouclou 1 (maybe you can see the beginnings of a tail on nb1?).

one very cool specimen is nanan bouclou 5, which showed two tails on sprouting. @G-paS commented that she saw twins in NB5, which totally turned out to be true! super exciting!

apparently they could be identical, and possibly even one male one female. i’ve separated them out into their own containers and will keep tabs on them as they grow. i wasn’t sure whether to separate them right away or wait for them to grow a little and be stronger. but on recommendations from overgrowers who said do it right away, lest the bigger one strangle the smaller one, i split them up. we’ll see what becomes of them over time.

oh, here is the ac infinity shipping box that was turned into a male isolation box and is now turned into a seedling germination area. man, that box has 1,001 uses! it’d be better if i could turn it on it’s side, so it’s more wide. i’ll have to think about rigging for the lights and whatnot. that would give me so much seedling space. i would just have to access it from the top, rather than like a cabinet with front facing panels which i sort of prefer. if i have to come from the top, i’d probably have to move the lights aside or figure out how to install some old led strip lights i have.

12 Likes