How do *you* store your seeds?

Here’s how I used to keep them.

I’ve since upgraded to coin collector capsules.

23 Likes

Oh, damn! That coin collector capsule is cool!! :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks @firehead

They were cheap and they save A LOT of space. I think I can fit about 15 mature seeds in each coin capsule, while only removing the center foam bit.

11 Likes

How many capsules fit in the box? I’m guessing Amazon?

2 Likes

Just ordered one of these!

1 Like

@AZsensi I repackage seeds into 1.75x1.75" Apple bags. These then get grouped in packs of 5-7 in a 2x3 bead storage ziplock.

I seal a meal these in groups of 5-10 with some dehydrated rice as a desiccant. I’ll bake rice at 150F for one hour to get it super dry before using. I’ll store some of this dehydrated rice in a medicine jar for future use.

I then use canning jars. These have a great seal. I’ll cover them with duct tape, or brown paper and shipping tape to reduce the amount of light that can enter the jars.

The seal a meal packs go into a sealed canning jar. To these jars, I will either add some of the rice, or more often 2-3 of the small desiccant packs. I’ve ordered these but also save them out of purchased items. These also need to be dehydrated at 150F in the oven for 1 hour to “recharge” them and get all the moisture they have absorbed out again.

These jars then go into the fridge. I’ve had great luck with seeds 5-10 years old getting full germination. My hope is this method will keep many viable for up to 20 years.

This method also saves a ton of space compared to leaving the seed in the original breeder packs. If you put 10 of the seal a meal packs per jar you would have about 500 packs safely stored in a jar in the fridge.

Happy collecting!

4 Likes

I ordered one of those coin capsules about a month ago, they are fantastic for storage, and allow me to keep all the seeds organized. Definitely worth the 20 some odd dollars.

5 Likes

Blacked out bags in a safe, I have yet to run into an issue

1 Like

Yup Amazon. Came as a two-case pack, each case comes with 100 capsules as well as foam inserts. I’ve already filled one case with just my autoflower seeds, :joy:

2 Likes

Awesome! Hope they work as well for you as they have for me!

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/copagenetics/p/B_xqoHBhXQg/?utm_medium=copy_link

2 Likes

just had another successul 12/12 germination of 15-year-old seeds this week. Mason jar in the fridge with a few silicon dessicant packs in there. Seeds in paper envelopes inside the jar.

3 Likes

I tell people I keep them in the fridge , but really I keep my seeds hooped at all times. I guess it is just the prohibition in me…

5 Likes

Wish I had read this thread 12 years ago when I bought a bunch of seeds that have not been stored properly until recently. I had stopped growing, and the seeds sat in a forgotten ziploc in a playmate cooler for over 10 years, in an unheated basement/garage. One day I realized I better go get those seeds into a mason jar in the fridge, if it wasn’t too late. It might be too late because I am 0-for-many tries sprouting samples from the stash, like freebies that weren’t as valuable as others. No joy. Bummer.

I have not had luck with any of the usual (or unusual) methods including pretty much everything, covered in this thread and that thread, except the gibberelic acid - I need a walk-thru/video/blog from someone who has used it successfully. I just opened a pack of Sensi Star to try and pop, along with some rez’ SD IBL: After 2 weeks in a temp-controlled soak/wet paper towel in ziploc, nothing is happening with 2 sensi star and 2 SD-ibl seeds. Today I decided to crack them and delicately popped the shells with a little tooth pressure. These were well-scuffed before soaking. I’m desperate. I have 8 sensi star seeds left and about 15 SD, plus a crap-ton of other cool old beans like packs of Mr. Nice SSH and Shit, BOG stuff, Nirvana, etc.

Edit: forgot to say I recently started some Bohdi and 'rado beans with excellent success. I have a lot of talked-about recent gear, but man, I hate to think all my old stash is fucked.

3 Likes

Now that looks organized! What are you doing for moisture control?

:peace_symbol:

2 Likes

Nothing really, they’re kept in a small fire safe.

1 Like

I bought a few seeds online and was given a few for free. I can only grow 1 plant at a time due to limited space. How can I store the beans so they don’t loose viability?

2 Likes

Short answer, in a fridge sealed. Long answer, check out these multiple threads for all the info you could want.

13 Likes

Awesome thank you! I think I was using the wrong keywords lol

1 Like

I prefer the freezer .

2 Likes