How to Identify lineage?

Let me preface this by saying 1) I’m new to growing, just weeks into my 3rd grow and 2) I’m more ignorant about this than the average bear. So when I began searching for some seeds to begin my journey with in may of 2023, I discovered a local organic shop was selling packs of 6 for $50, at the time I didn’t even know I could just buy some on the internet. I had done enough research to know I was looking for a hybrid to explore for health related effects and yet I just grabbed the 1st pack that had an interesting name “Rainbow Pound Cake”. I was told the breeder was an uncle of theirs out in Oregon, they have no online presence, no real info about their seedstock and that while my 1st grow was a pitfall of mistakes and small yield, it was literally the best aroma and smoke I’ve had. If you can imagine skunky, a flowery boutique, combined with sweet fruit and for a short period a rotting fruit smell while in flower and straight flowery and skunky while smoking. I had it THC tested more out of curiosity than anything because I had such low expectations for my 1st attempt and it tested came out at 20% thc and 4% cbd, had no idea if that was good or bad at the time. So here goes, is it even possible to discover the parentage of this plant? The naming of strains, seems sometimes completely wonky to me and of course at the risk of an unknown breeder, who knows if a name is accurate towards it’s parentage. Also I saved every seed I found while consuming my harvest, a good a 30-35 seeds, I swear nothing hermed and never even saw a nanner(?) and fully intend to grow these again. My apologies for the roundabout story telling to get to the question. Edited in a pic of the packaging with breeder name

19 Likes

Post the pack and breeder and you may be able to get some more help.

4 Likes

Here is the Google version
Rainbow Cake is a hybrid marijuana strain made by crossing Wedding Cakewith Rainbow Belts. The effects of this strain are relatively unknown. Rainbow Cake’s lineage leads us to believe it may provide an evenly balanced high. Different cuts of Rainbow Cake may be more potent than others, with some topping out at 25% THC. Medical marijuana patients choose this strain to help relieve symptoms associated with chronic pain and inflammation. In terms of flavor and aroma, you can expect Rainbow Cake to taste creamy and cakey, with sweet undertones of vanilla and citrus. We’re still learning about the flavors and effects of this strain. If you’ve smoked, dabbed, or consumed Rainbow Cake before, tell us about your experience by leaving a strain review.

2 Likes

Done, I was just worried about somebody taking anything I said in a negative way.

2 Likes

Not getting anything from Googling the breeder or the strain name, other than recipes for baking the pastry of the same name… I’d guess it’s a cookies cross, but there’s virtually no way to know for sure. Maybe go back there and ask. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Looks like they have a Facebook. Could try reaching out there.
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php/?id=100085052935522

4 Likes

Other than having to go on Facebook, not a bad idea either. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I figuratively just smacked my forehead, no idea why I hadn’t even considered looking on fb. lol

3 Likes

Honestly I didn’t either but their page came up on Google. Doesn’t look too active and seem to be doing more cbd/hemp stuff. I’m curious if you get a response.

1 Like

Looks like its a common strain as even UK seed shops are stocking rainbow cake seeds by various “breeders”. I cant vouch for these sellers but theres plenty out there
Heres some links to beans if it helps.
uk

euro

us

Just messaged them, we’ll see what happens.

1 Like

One of them hermed for sure then unless you had a window open and someone growing a male nearby or similar… Sometimes the nanners grow inside the flowers, encased by buds, and you can’t see them.

9 Likes

I suppose it’s highly possible considering it being my 1st run but I think out of 6 plants that I would’ve seen a lot more seeds.

1 Like

Depends on if the nanners are sterile or not. More often than not a few nanners result in a few seeds.

3 Likes

You’re making a great case for @HolyAngel ’s point. Likely nanners IN a couple of buds.

3 Likes

mature seeds at harvest means the pollen met pistil somewhere early in the grow. Week 3ish usually.

3 Likes

If one could rely on names (sometimes you can and sometimes you can’t) one would think it’s some sort of London Pound Cake cross?

If you can’t (often you can’t), could be anything with wedding cake in it, or something else altogether.

1 Like

I definitely wasn’t trying to counterargue against nanners. I don’t think at this point in my growing, I completely knew what nanners looked liked and maybe thought they were calyx. This got me digging back through my pics and think I found one of the offenders and realizing how shitty most of my pics are because of shakey hands. Including pic with possible nanners circled.

3 Likes

I feel like someone was telling me about using a PCR with cannabis to identify genetics in some way, but it could have just been a dream or my imagination as well…

1 Like

Way above most of our pay grades here and almost certainly not what the OP was looking for, but yes… you can use PCR tests to compare genetic markers from one strain to potential parents, if you have the potential parents’ genes in the first place.

5 Likes