Hunting Lucky Dog, Top Dawg, Prolific Coast Seeds, Freeborn Selections, CSI

i can’t seem to find that in the thread, @PhilCuisine what a cool thread i’d love if you could point me to your pollen collection/preservation technique

i’ve been collecting pollen in glass jars, and in foil with rice, but the drying part i’m not too sure about, seems crucial, i’ve seen someone drying flour and pollen in the oven to 20% rH before storing it.

the humidity absorbing qualities of the rice grains isn’t enough to dry the pollen correctly huh? i don’t think the air here is dry enough 55% rH today for example

@syzygy thanks your input made me realize i was going to fail without guidance! haha

4 Likes

top dawg i-80 #2 is the best plant outta all of the top dawg plants

very pretty buds, i love the looks, it smells og like and doughy, broken up like straight rubber garage floor and skunk, the most skunky plant i’ve grown i think, the smoke taste like faint OG maybe, not too flavorful but it’s thick, her special thing is a long lingering gas/skunk combo, heavy on the skunk, i smell and taste skunk for a while after smoking this one, amazing! i understand why people are after skunk, it lingers and it’s good, i know i always sound wayyy to exited when i re-read my older posts i’m a newer grower and i got that young child excitement about it, so hell yeah! i’m just saying i might have a tendency to overhype shit, maybe

the effect is way “sativa” and sometimes overwhelming for me, it’s a good head high, but could also lock you up in your head and be unable to talk, but a lot of weed does that to me haha, i’ll smoke more at work or biking and really see what’s up but this one deserves honorable mention, but i didn’t keep it the yield was small and the mom was so so sooo damn stretchy, the stem rub on it smelled like pure OG, it had deformed mutant leaves at some point

27 Likes

I used to use both wax and parchment paper and would wait a few days to a week before storing it (again with desiccant though, but probably not necessary). I switched to black construction paper after I heard someone on a potcast episode talk about it, think it was Bodhi. Seems good for both seeing the pollen as well as allowing it to dry faster. For small amounts of pollen I think I like the wax / parchment paper more. The pollen seems easier to remove and feels like less gets lost on the collection paper. To me the biggest thing to look out for with how you describe your setup is to make sure you aren’t keeping the pollen in a large mass before it has a chance to dry. Spread out it should be fine.

Color indicating silica is very cheap to order online if you want to go that route.

6 Likes

ok sounds good, i’m going to get wax paper to collect, the jars/foil is a pain, so, you don’t mix the pollen with anything, just sift it, dry it and freeze it with a desiccant?

jesus fuck i know you said cheap but this shit is cheeaaappp haha like 25 cents a pound

got it. thanks, you shall have good karma today for helping me! what do you think about drying the pollen with heat, like in the over at 120f or bake it in the sun for a hour? it seems too humid to air-dry pollen right now

5 Likes

Yeah, with the cardboard paper I remove the dried flowers and then let it sit for a few days more. After that I put a small amount of pollen in a centrifuge vial , add desiccant, cap and refrigerate. Whatever container you have would work. In the past I heat sealed bags with desiccant & pollen and froze them but I don’t have a heat sealer so am not as comfortable freezing.

Intuitively it seems like heat would be a bad idea but I don’t actually know for sure. I’m sure someone else knows how hot you can expose pollen to and retain viability, but personally I still wouldn’t feel safe doing that myself with how inaccurate ovens seem to me.

I like to store pollen and seeds both in darkness, with as little air as possible & ideally vacuum, cold and dry. Remember to divide up whatever pollen you do store so you don’t have to open the main supply every-time you go to use it, which would expose it to temperature fluctuations and humidity in the air. For me seeds seem to store really well with the desiccant beads too. Not necessary but they’re so cheap I figure why not.

Maybe try freezing some and refrigerating as well? I was surprised how long the Goji pollen stayed viable in the refrigerator(over half a year). You could possibly put the pollen in a small storage tote with an open container of Damprid or something like that too. That’s probably what I would try in a high RH situation.

5 Likes

I don’t really have any special way of saving it…

4 Likes

i use a hair straightener to seal mylar bags 100% you have to make sure it’s hot enough, but not too hot, where there is no little air bubbles in the seal part

for sure, i do that when i freeze bud too

for sure, yeah i’m looking to keep it viable for maybe 30 to 50 days i think with the information i got i can do that no problem

15 years damn! sick, so you just put it in the foil, fold it and forget it, sounds like something i might be capable of doing :joy:

4 Likes

Found it…

2 Likes

so this is the plants i’m re-running from my last two pheno hunts, the best of the best

old soul keeper from bodhi, can’t wait to have more of this!

forbidden fruit s1 from CSI

guerilla fume #3 this is the original plant from seed that’s been bonsaied like crazy, it’s a little old and a little slow to snap out of it

guerilla gume #4 on the left, #5 on the right just planted, i put it in there to get some healthy cuts later and a couple ounces maybe

it’s been fun hunting but it’s time to chill and let these girls do their things, i’m very happy with my selections, all of these plants are amazing weed and pretty different from each other

26 Likes

All looking so good excited for that run the lineup sounds awesome Will get some photos tonight but my old soul clones are doing great one of them like monstercropped itself and is stupid bushy with tons of branching the smells off it in veg is pretty intense one of the more stronger smelling veg plants I’ve ran into so far can’t wait to flower them out going to be another 10-12 days until I get them in there new shoes and out of the 1 gallons and into there 20 gallon homes

4 Likes

i know right, terpy plants smell amazing in veg sometimes, like you can tell already it’s gonna be good, i see this often! that’s why i’m exited for my guerilla fume male, that motherfucker smells like oil rags, super nice

oh hell yeah!

6 Likes

I love the weed gods. That Original Diesel made her way too me <3 She is the Diesel cut from Vermont that Skunk Tek uses. Should be fuckin killer!

6 Likes

hell yeah, send me a couple snips and i’ll let you know if its good :grin:

congrats dude, let us see it at least!

6 Likes

She’s just a little thing right now. I’m gonna be documenting the side by side project on here with several Sour and Original Diesel and Headband cuts. Doing the Same with OG’s and Chems.

9 Likes

Looks good man, you do no till? I love dank bud in general , but I’ll definitely be pullin my chair up for this one.

2 Likes

my 2 old soul 6 clones :blush: @supershitfuck

15 Likes

hell yeah bro i can smell the sour infected wound stems from here! i’m glad they’re healthy and backed up!

3 Likes

If you remember, can you post that topic in this thread when you start the log? I don’t look around on OG too much, but I do follow this log, so…

Thanks.

3 Likes

i mean, i do mix in the top dress into the top 2 inches of the soil, so it’s… “low till” but yeah! tap water, top dress and let it grow

6 Likes

Man I wouldn’t even count the first few inches, it wouldn’t take long at all for the microbes to recolonize it and you got it down.

I have to say though very nice. I want to have a no till / low till setup like this at some point.

4 Likes