I missed the roadkill skunk party

Here’s one RKS from the co-op. One of the smellier plants I have at the moment, not the smelliest. Smells like fuel, not skunk yet. Once I have room in the tent, I’ll take a cut and veg her out properly and flower her. I started in coco and just transplanted her in soil so I can water less and slow her down for now. Seems like a nice plant.

3 Likes

That is pretty much verbatim what Todd from agseeds says.

I’m glad someone much smarter than me is saying this same thing.

people dont talk alot about weed being “wet” anymore. When i was first buying weed as a youth, there was many many times the weed was not fully dried before it was sold. this was for 2 main reasons. the first is because it added weight and made things stickier, the second being that weed was always very quickly moved and the dealers didnt want to wait the full time for it to dry out. i never heard of cured bud until i was around people who grew or fancied themselves connoisseurs “your weed is 6 months old? grosss”

it is something that definitely affected the smells we are getting off of our weeds as much as anything…

3 Likes

Here is Todd’s thoughts on the matter. Makes sense to me.

4 Likes

have definitely noticed this. i think the skunk doesn’t linger. that is probably why we smell it. if you are smelling it, that means it is up in the air.

Ha…I was thinking this a couple weeks ago and bought blackstrap molasses exactly for this reason…

I was reading onions and garlic use lots of sulfur to make the harsh smells and tastes they use as a defense. Much like cannabis and its skunky smell…I started using it a couple watering ago and the garden is definitely smelling stronger than last run. But these are all different plants too…so could be that…but still.

4 Likes

I’d think we’d see this more, especially with the amount of people using Epsom salts. Or maybe there isn’t enough sulfur in Epsom salts. I donno, I’m probably way off.

2 Likes

From what I’ve read, it seems epsom salts have higher concentrations of sulfur than molasses too. Oh, well…gotta feed my microbes …lol

4 Likes

Epsom salts and gypsum are great sources of sulfur, and generally better replacements for calcium and magnesium than calmag.

8 Likes

Katsu is claiming that he recently acquired 2 old school skunk strains with that roadkill smell profile. I’m on his email list and I just got an email about it yesterday.

No idea if it’s true though.

5 Likes

The company he got them from/is working with is Sunshine Seed Co. They are bullshitters who were outed years ago. Couple years ago they claimed to have FL Crippy seeds.

The only skunk plant I’m familiar with that actually HOLDS it’s skunk aroma into the jars and smokes the way it smells without sweetening up is Bodhi’s A.S.S. clone.

14 Likes

Yep…what he said​:point_up:t5::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

In 35 years of growing I found it once in seed I picked out of high grade Mexican import in the late 80’s. Only had it one year and then lost it the next year to cut worms. For some reason it attracted them to just those plants. To say I was devastated was an understatement. I’ve smoked lots of skunk bud in my life but that was my first and only time actually growing it. I remember smelling the patch about 500ft away. It was insane how strong those plants smelled. I’m going to guess because of the sheer stupidity of trying to grow something so aromatic in that legal environment and a possible insect attracting scent might have been the downfall of the skunks

4 Likes

I wasn’t aware of that. Thanks for sharing!

Here’s wha I think really happened. We were getting tons of great Mexican imports from the 70’s to the early 90’s. They were mostly smaller farms in Mexico with old genetics. I think they were the real source of skunk. In Mexico they knew what skunk was. They have always been familiar with it. I remember going there as a kid and being offered skunk bud by that name on the beach. But unfortunately in the early to mid nineties our buddy El Chapo and other smaller bosses started buying tons of seeds from the US and Amsterdam and crossing them to their local plants. In places like Sonora they were all growing at scale the new hybrids. It was like that in almost all the big plantations around Mexico. So we lost our unending supply of skunk seeds most people were throwing away from their Mexican weed anyway. So yeah the hybrid Mexican imported stuff was technically a better commercial product for the cartels after the mid 90’s and most Americans were happier with it to smoke. But there wasn’t anymore skunky imports coming to the US after the mid 90’s. As they say you don’t know what you have until it’s gone.

5 Likes

so those Gainesville green I bought from sunshine seed co were bs? the more I know. bought em for my dad because he lived in Interlochen way back

Looks like Katsu, is vouching for it, and says hes grown it, and is going to cross both the 79-81 together.

Time will tell.

I bought 12 of the 79s, ( Be delivered tomorrow ) and just ordered a pack of the 81s.

The guy that has the original cut, is on ICMag, and is known by OJD-Connoisseur Genetics, and he told OJD, another person OJD respects, with also vouch for the genetics.

I will say, this photo looks like what I remember, with the narrow leaves.
79 Florida Heirloon Skunk. 84-88 days flowering.

2 Likes

I can’t say for certain, but they definately run a scam over there at Sunshinestateseedco.
They always have the hookup on the new new old strains.
Not just one rare heirloom strain but dozens available for stupid prices.
I bought their cut of Triangle Kush and although it was a decent plant, it was not the TK we all know and love.

4 Likes

I started smoking in the early 80’s West Coast USA
California to Alaska and all states in between, even a few trips to Hawaii. I remember the more skunky bud was in California for sure.

Humboldt County Skunk Bud was pretty famous in the 80’s
I never heard the term RKS until I first visited the forums around the turn of the millennia.

I grew Skunk #1 in the early 90’s Sensi Seeds and it had a skunk with citrus fruit thing going on. Not RKS.

The closest I ever grew of a loud skunk was from some bagseed that I had given to me by a friend in Alaska.
I had just moved to Washington and wanted to grow some plants outdoors.
I found a sweet little spot off the road and near a swamp on an Indian rez.
Me and my bro camped out and prepared then planted about 10 plants.
Indians driving by hooping and hollering throughout the night we thought we were going to get scalped. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyhow come the first week of October we showed up to harvest and we were a little lost until we could smell them.
It was probably at least 700 feet away.
There was 1 plant out of about 4 females that was the offender.
She stunk like a skunk and was just covered in trichomes, so much so we called her snow bud - no relation to the already established strain of the same name that was floating around Portland at the time.
I had never seen or smelled anything like it.
So I know something like the fabled RKS really did exist even though I had never bought or smoked anything like it before or after that one plant.

This was one and done.
I have no idea what it was but she looked like long slinder classic skunk type buds
It was really nice smoke. Stunk in the bag, but needed more time to mature.

4 Likes