In line fan Silencer do they work

Yeah going to try dyi muffler first then build something like the insulated tote idea

When talking to my neighbor we share a wall attached at the garages he only hears it when he’s in the garage

So if I move it off that wall try the silencer first then the box

I agree with distance is a factor that could help also

3 Likes

I’ll also say, @Papalag that if you’re switching fans in the future the AC Infinity Cloudline I got to replace a cheap Vivosun is so damn quiet, though I did size it up and use a larger fan than needed so it runs low. I think they’re probably the most silent option you can get outside maybe commercial grade stuff and even that IDK.

2 Likes

Yeah @Dirt_Wizard went the cheap way

I do own a 6 in ac infinity ,I use as in take and is way quitter then the 8 in vivosun there was a big difference in price
Oh well

I still have to fix it do think I can exchange it with Amazon

2 Likes

Agree my AC Infinity is way quieter than my older fan.

1 Like

Yes, my 8" AC Infinity fan is quiet. The sound of that much air whooshing, even at 50%, not so much.

I did the DIY silencer on my old 2x3 cab and had decent results. It was large and cumbersome though.

6 Likes

Most of the sound comes out of the fan axially.
As Foreigner said, insulated duct makes a big difference (& it is a PITA to work with).
Here’s some test data on a 6" AC Infinity to back that up:

AC Infinity T6 evaluation and test data
(see Phase II section)

Cheers G

3 Likes

I can vouch for homemade tote fan silencers. It worked really good.

Using insulated ducts or abs will help…
Running a bigger fan with a speed controller does help…

2 Likes

Reminds of my kid when she was little and the very same for me, when I was little. Kid not knowing that sound travels. Crinkling of the chip bag, carried through the silent house.

3 Likes

I’m agree with @Foreigner and the others about using a bigger fan than you need and running it slower with a controller or variac.

Like @Gpaw i noticed most of the noise comes from the motor end of the fan, fixing the fan directly to the filter helps cut noise quite considerably, I’ve never used a silencer but they’re not too different to a carbon filter, can fan or rvk are better suited to fixing directly.

For my climate i get on much better now with slow and continous ventilation, i get the best temp/rh% figures and close to 0 noise.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the advice

I did get the bigger fan with a speed controller and I am running it on low

I probably should have gotten the ac infinity 6 in and rrun it continuously

So plan is
Move it away From the adjacent wall first
Attach filters directly at the motor
Build silencer

Paps

3 Likes

I did not read this but just looked through the pictures. Agree about it reducing noise. We did it at work (I was a part of a HVAC crew - controls - in a 3 million sq ft campus across 30 buildings), enclosed fans when they were in ceilings and were a problem for the people. I also like using a dense foam to put around ducting rather than fiberglass. The foam works well in the box also, carpet underlay could be used two layers better than one), check your local flooring place to see if they have scraps.

3 Likes

Advice taken

Moving the fan and attaching the filter directly to the fan made a big difference
And keeping it on low dose the trick

Paps

12 Likes

Hey @Papalag

So it is legal there, but not to grow it??? Are there “caretakers” set up you can buy from or is all bought from disp’s ???

1 Like

No home grow at all ! No small growers either it’s big Money running the show

Under 9 plants 2 years
10 and over manufacturing 10 minimum

Rec to smoke

No medical home grow either

3 Likes

It’s worth the time to balance the impeller on an in-line fan. If you can run it open, without the intake side of the shell, it’s not too difficult to add weight in the form of electrical or aluminum tape. One of mine vibrated like mad until I did that.

The majority of irritating noise occurs where the blades meet the air.

2 Likes

Nice one mate I’m glad it’s worked out for you, the fan to filter connection is the reason i get the rvk style fans there’re easier to hang in a tent as one unit.

Systemair sileo.

3 Likes

French do some things right… Super silent and size is manageable too.

Secret Jardin DF16 filter and fan combo, could be installed filter outside, fan inside with that plastic flange… Brilliant for smaller tents and cabins… EC motor and adjustable speed… Really silent.

3 Likes

I recently bought a 6” AC Infinity Cloudline fan and it was LOUD! They advertised 34 decibels and it was more like 55-70 decibels. I’m thankful i was able to return it.

5 Likes

Ok final report
I no longer need to worry about it being silent
It just stopped working altogether so it’s as silent as it gets

Only had it since early November
Contacted Amazon and vivosun
Amazon was the 1st to respond it’s being returned and I will order a different manufacturer

If it’s only running 1 month and set on a timer once every 4 hours and it breaks down no sorry @VIVOSUN it’s not for me

I’m happy with the light but from now on I’m worried

5 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking I’m curious which exact unit you got (the failed one). I have two ac infinity 6” one for each tent. They’re dc motors that use power supplies so they take a few moments to spool up but they’ve lasted three years.

I got one with the ac infinity controller and I run the other with an inkbird.

2 Likes