Inbreeding landrace basics

Malawi is my current favourite breeding strain. I have a wicked pheno that stinks of mango skin and is ridiculously potent. Slow though. I need to find a GOOD cali orange pheno to cross it over methinks :wink:

10 Likes

Yeah as a fellow Saffa I can confirm that the Durban Poison seeds for sale are not like anything you’d find in the actual area. Same with the “African sativa” that’s sold too. There’s one a few very remote areas that might stil have an IBL you can call a landrace. Sadly these plants have mostly been bred to withstand crop dusting.
Malawi is the way to go but it flowers for what feels like 24 weeks and its a “lets get stuff done” type of smoke.

7 Likes

So I’m lost here people seems like the vote is any seeds from South Africa is a joke then ? Or not real ?

1 Like

so are theses crap ? Cause I say stuff like ogkush x who cares is crap. A lot of the American strain are real crap an over hyped I feel. So I’m just trying to look else where an find stable genetics to have around also thank you for pointing out Sensi Seeds. But that’s why I was asking about seeds of Africa? Also what about Sotho worth anything?

4 Likes

No there are just a few people out there that make up names and prey on others for a buck. Like I said with how far cannabis has come, what was isn’t what is and what wasnt now is. I got a bunch of seeds collected from the Transkei that are as close to pure Transkei as you gonna get and I can guarantee you it’s ciskei too… Durban weed has always been sub par though. Seedy skimpy crap that comes in what are called pencils. Same goes for these folks selling Pondo or Tarengaan or Lesotho seeds… it comes wrapped in newspaper and costs about 25us cents for a kilo… then you get guys that start a seed company selling the seeds that they get from that and hype it up as some magic fucking weed… it’s ridiculous… ask them if they’d smoke that stuff… maybe if you want a headache yeah go for it. This upsets so many people I tend to stay clear of commenting anymore but haven’t commented about it here yet so let’s go :rofl::joy::joy:. I’m in no way saying you won’t get certain common traits to work with and Transkei , Malawi and Swazi have a better reputation here as far as home growers working it or using it and the odd few will grow seeds from Durban and call it Durban Poison for a Noddy badge from those across the pond… but thats about all it does for you.

8 Likes

Durban Magic :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: what a fucking joke

5 Likes

@Sunvalley thanks & at the moment i’m baked & IBS’ing it up so i’ll reply better later on today :slight_smile:

really appreciate it tho. i think i remember a podcast with Mel Frank(us) talking about Ed Rosenthal bringing back african seeds that Mel worked with in Ca then Holland ??? & claiming the US Durban P origin :thinking:

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

There’s also what i call the psuedo spiritual factor … dudes will say, come over to say South Africa, will take a few days to settle down then mission off to find some weed or hunt for seeds … they may have not smoked for maybe 5 days to a week, be at a complete different altitude, get taken on a hike to a village, be hungry and a little dehydrated, finally sit down to smoke a pipe or joint with some of the locals who in their rural form will be completely different to anything they’re used to… light up the pipe and get completely fucking zooted and start thinking they’ve found some magic strain grown in the remote hills of fuck knows where, collect the seeds bring them home and booooom it’s the next best thing…
Shit Mauritius must have the best weed in the world cos that’s what happened to me too :joy::joy::joy::joy:

10 Likes

Thank you that’s what I was wondering. All I’m looking for is honesty. I wish they where more pure which is what I’m wanting to do is get as much of the South Africa geno types an be a 100% sativa an I’ll be happy. I miss the smoke from 90’s lol I’m not old enuff to know the 70’s. Also thank you @Sunvalley the extra details are cool like the newspaper or pencil. That stuff comes in I short I have the others you listed on my seed wish list an was going to go strain by strain in breeding them. An then only keeping what I like. The genomes of the South Africa strains I have been hooked on also with all the cross I do like that have some part of it from the strains we have all listed

3 Likes

The strains from these provinces are all majority sativa as in they will be 85% Plus. Like I said … there has been an influence and obvious cross-pollination over many many many years and it does not mean that you won’t get something different or good but don’t believe the hype or the bullshit and the names that people put on something that just comes from a village that they in turn are not repaying to the villages with the money they make from what they’ve taken.

4 Likes

Lol nicely worded. That’s something I’ve asked myself as well, after seeing thing on YouTube along that line of random strain hunters. I’m not like that so to say. No plans to make money if the seeds just tied of paying them all the time for let downs. So all info I can get to keep me in the South Africa cannabis genomes I feel I’ll be happy in the end. Same time I might end up zooted as you put it just do to the genomes. Good point on Durban tho I haven’t gotten that durban high like I did also 20 years ago now.

2 Likes

Yeah the cross pollination I’m cool with do to the plants being from same area so to say an family again so to say. Also awesome point I do feel seed company’s like Dutch passion so have to give part of the money to Durban. After all people are using the name an took something pure an made it a lie. Just for a quick buck. Cool to find someone else who sees it that way

3 Likes

It’s a bit like Barneys Acapulco Gold. It’s pretty nice smoke/plant, but it’s got a lot of indica in it and it’s not THE Acapulco Gold, just opportunistic marketing.

5 Likes

I grew Acapulco Gold from Sensi Seeds around 96/97… it was ok from what I remember but was a too young and dumb to know better. Was mostly sativa from what I recall and didn’t have a great flavour but then again I didn’t really know what I was doing back then and probably pulled it way early

3 Likes

Yeah that’s why I was going to go South Africa from all I have read it’s genomes. Just a pain trying to get throw the bs company’s put on there pages. Wish there was a law. like a false advertisement law so to say

1 Like

Have you tried any of the offerings from Ace Seeds? I have been impressed by the ‘land race’ sativas of theirs I have grown and the seeds are reasonably consistent. Any of these seed company ‘land race’ seeds is going to be selected over many generations before it hits the market so unless you are out there in the wild, it’s easy to get wrapped around the axle on ‘pure genes vs what smoke you like’. Weed is one of the most hybridised plants on earth after all.

4 Likes

It can be done but it requires an agreed upon standard with which to judge against.

1 Like

Naw I’ve never messed with ace seeds. Hear some good things. Just over time as I read what plants are crossed with keeps bring me back to South Africa. Which is why I’m looking into it. Indica strains I look at bring me to Middle East a lot when I read on what’s in the cross

2 Likes

AND at least a majority of constituencies where the product itself is legal lol.

2 Likes

This is the current “landrace” coming from the Transkei and on the left is a small “swazi”. Was my 1st ever grow in small pots though.

11 Likes