Incoherent gibberish & Goji F2s. Also Bodhi adventures & pollen chucks

Haha ya, was only thing I could find with intense/bright color as a backdrop (orange top, wood side). For the white shot used an envelope. I like the way the shadows highlight the bud structure, but they are probably too intense. I think the diffuse lighting suggestion a few comments back may be worth trying to address this issue.

I should get a lightbox probably but feel like the background colors available would get repetitive fast. I’ll try natural outside no flash lighting next opportunity but every time I omit flash the pictures look flat and almost monochromatic. I don’t seem to get the range of colors that I get with a flash.

4 Likes

I’m definitely going to have to find myself some of these,especially due to it providing relief for migraines! Ever since my brain injury I get migraines every day it just depends on intensity so a strain like this could be fantastic :ok_hand: thanks for putting this info up and you’re doing a phenomenal job with them :+1: peace

Yeah, fuck a lightbox. Then everything will just kinda look the same. That’s some IG bullshit haha. Switch up the backgrounds. I had this old-ass ESPN The Magazine laying around for a while, totally white on the cover, but the glossiness of the cover seemed to work a little differently than if I’d just used a sheet of paper or something. And then switch it up with the “dog poop bag” background. Or whatever. I think natural light is the key, though.

And then, yeah, like Iamyou said, with the diffuse light and stuff. I mean, I’m not saying my pics are anything to write home about, but it does seem like just snapping a bunch of pics and finding a couple that look good seems easier than dealing with all this software bullshit haha!

6 Likes

I use white paper straight out of the printer, two sheets if it’s laying on some uneven colored/shaped surface. I don’t personally like varied backgrounds, as they take away from the star of the show, and they’re harder for the camera to work with. This is my anecdotal experience; I don’t know if that last part or any of the rest of my gibberish is fact in the world of photography, so take it with a grain of salt.

To me, the most important thing is the lighting. You could just build your own lighting rig by getting a couple/few of the 1ft long Bridgelux Thrive lights in 3500k or something like that on a dimmable driver. They’re like 98CRI so the color accuracy is great, and easier for you or your camera/software to make adjustments.

8 Likes

That’s definitely how I feel about plant portrait shots, and one reason I prefer the black background there. The way the mylar tent reflects the flash to me is pretty distracting, but with the right f/stop can look nice I’ve found as well. Also the trichomes and pistils seem to stand out better with a back background for my eyes at least. My goal with the plant shots is first and foremost to preserve a visual memory of how the flower looks so that I can look back as a reference when exploring pollen chucks.

For the dry flower shots it’s purely for sharing here since they have less use for me from a memory cataloguing perspective, so I have less of a focused direction to guide me. Something like a darker wood grain or stone background with a better lit subject to me seems ideal for flower shots personally. I do like how the orange shot looks too though. Once the unseeded Black Triangles are ready I’ll have more subject matter to experiment around with.

Thanks for all the input and advice (lighting) everyone, it’s definitely helping and giving me things to think about for improving. Taking it all in and will slowly try to integrate what I can!

7 Likes

Ive turned my flash off for the last few years. To me, my camera can use better natural light especially exploring iso, shutter speed and f-stop settings. Of course adjusting white. All that said. I use my point and shoot phone way too often!

3 Likes

I like matte black but maybe thats just me

2 Likes

Goji f2 started showing more frost after turning the led back some. Keeping it at 75% from now on.

Trimmed up smells of sweet berry when opening the bag. Solid buds with nice bag appeal, smooth smoke for anytime of day and it’s only been curing for a couple weeks tops. I have a few more going in the first week of flower.
Thank you @syzygy for the work you put in and sharing these gems.

38 Likes

@bytheKasiz lovely bud! Do you measure light intensity? Or, at least which light are you using at 75%. Thank you!

Grow4th!!!

5 Likes

Thanks @4ftfarmer, i appreciate it. I have a cheap lux meter and that Goji went straight to the light in maybe week 2 of flower. She was getting about 70k lux and it was too much. Everything else was shorter and much greener.
Im running a 630w bar led from growdaddyleds.com and thankfully it has a dial to turn down.

6 Likes

Thanks, 70k lux is intense… caculated using (my light) high cri 3000k led would be approx 1300 ppfd. I cant get there from here! :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks again for sharing this here! Very cool to see phenos like this that I haven’t seen yet.

Still a stamp or 2 left if there’s anyone left who wanted but didn’t get to test (states only). Preferably people who have either posted or liked (anyone’s) post here prior to the time of this post. Anyone else testing these please feel free to post any info here, good and especially bad reports are both useful for everyone. After next week I’m going to be much busier and will mostly just be reading due to mobile browsing.

Was rushed so I know these pictures are still dark, but I like this dark particle board / wood background for flower shots…

Black Triangle

Devil’s HP x Goji

35 Likes

Those devils hashplant seeds look amazing all dark and mottled. Great picture taking also. !!! I just topped the Goji f2 and the ssdd x Goji a few minutes ago. All look great but 1 runty goji f2. I appreciate the chance to run these. Was thinking about putting the moms in my small 2 x 4ft greenhouse.

9 Likes

Interesting about the SSDD dad - I’ve got one blue sunshine at ~45 days flowering and it meets this description - frostiest in the tent by far… but small small buds. My theory on this cross is it might take F2s to find the perfect balance I’d like with a nice mellow daytime effect that has some nice pain/nerve killing effects. Have heard SSDD dad brings sleepytime effects.

11 Likes

Space Monkey pollinated by Goji OG - Done
Extremely strong smells of sweet pine

33 Likes

I love all your work and documentation. I wish I had goji when I had space monkey to do the same thing. But I do have 2 different space monkey F2 to look through.

14 Likes

Thanks, I feel same way reading your thread(s)! To date the most interesting pollen chuck that I’ve tried (haven’t tried them all) has been an F2 of Granola Funk dusted with a (different) Goji male. Insanely strong strawberry smelling “sativa” totem poles that were nauseatingly loud. One had slight anthocyanin expression while the other didn’t. Who knows, your Goji x F2 SM may be more desirable than anything that would come from an F1 of SM…

Old GF F2 x Goji dried shot :

29 Likes

Did I ever ask you if you know how Goji does outside? How does it do outside, lol? I don’t remember seeing it outdoors. :thinking:

9 Likes

Never done outdoors so I’m the wrong person to ask, sorry! Hoping that question means the F2s arrived safely :partying_face:?

8 Likes

They did, and I’m sorry for not letting you know. I thought I had. Very much appreciated. :pray: My first after a long wait to get some. I am thinking of getting some going asap. I’ve still never had it or grown it. I’m looking forward to it. How was your SM cross to the Goji? Smoking it yet? :peace_symbol:

8 Likes