Indoor grow journal, 2020 - passive hydro, first journal ever

Are the Aphids doing? Did the Aphidoletes do there job? Those directions would be a little difficult in a tent. I think.

Aphids suck :frowning: since I have stopped spraying those little buggers have multiplied at an incredible rate. Also found out the aphidoletes don’t work the best at a 12 hour light cycle. Seems the cards have been stacked against me on this one. Just gonna let it ride, to far into this now to quit, and I’m too stubborn, and this is all a great learning experience.

I have a mother tent that I released some into so I have higher hopes for them, if it gets really bad I will cut everything back and spray it all down again and maintain that till I can throw them outside and hit them with a hot pepper spray and they will move on. Indoors the problem is I gotta kill them all cuz there is nothing to move on to.

Ordered 10 bridgelux gen 2 2 foot strips and a xlg 150 driver to build a light, going to fire up a 3x3 tent with either clones from a buddy or germ some seeds to get something ready for my next run that is bug free. Then when flower tent is done I will super clean it and wait a week or 2 then fire it back up with the plants from the 3*3

Day 29 Pics from yesterday

Uploading: 20210116_122848.jpg… Uploading: 20210116_122807.jpg… Uploading: 20210116_122749.jpg… Uploading: 20210116_122801.jpg… Uploading: 20210116_122725.jpg… Uploading: 20210116_122740.jpg… Uploading: 20210116_122718.jpg…

4 Likes

I heard that people will put a plant in there grow area. Put whatever on you girls to agitate the pests. Then they find the plant you didn’t spray. They all get on there tiny bug size iPhone and send a tweet out that they had found a better place to eat. Or something like that.
I wipe my tent down with dish detergent. Then wipe down with water to get any soap off.
Then I spray my tent down with rubbing alcohol that was watered-down. Let it sit for a couple days.
I let these ride out. It got bad.

I washed those buds to try to get as many mites off as possible. I had to take them down early.

Sacrificial plant, not a bad idea. Im to far in at this point though and don’t want to spray anything on the buds. I have hopes the aphidoletes can manage me to last another 26 days or so. But if I feel I need to harvest early I will as it’s better to harvest some as you did, I’m just trying to plan out how to have a smoother next run and think in the positivity of that.

1 Like

The small bugs with wings are the aphidoletes, they lay the eggs and the larva hatches and eats the aphids. Then drop into the soil below and hatch into that small bug and so on and so on

3 Likes

That really sucks man. Stuff nightmares are made of. I believe as long as you do a deep clean when your done you will be fine. Even around the immediate outside of your tent. I sprayed the outside with the water/alcohol mix. Best of luck to you man.

1 Like

I’ve had spider mites in the past and won the war with neem oil but these aphids were unstoppable for me. Dang bugs. Is what it is though I’m sure I will still get something for my work. The plants sure arnt suffering at the moment. So who knows. Don’t think a pound is out of the question by any means yet.

1 Like

Your plants look good considering the issue you’re having. Do you usually pull 4oz per.? I’m starting to get up there. I know genetics plays a part. There is a few things I’m going to change this grow I’m working on now.
But 4oz to me is pretty impressive.

1 Like

I usually pull at least 1.5 grams per watt. Minus the bugs I was having a damn good run and was hoping to possibly get up to the 2 grams per watt. That’s my goal.

I have 5 lights each is running 75 watts so that’s 375. So I was expecting 375 as my bare minimum. Expecting to get 562 grams but was hoping I’d be closer to be closer to 750 this run.

In the past I’ve ran in my 4*4 tent. 6 plants. Similar system, pulled 797 grams over dry as I suck at curing lol.

So 797 grams in that run I had 7 lights so 525 watts so 1.51 grams a watt or 132 grams a plant. I know I had lots of room improvement in that run and know I was doing better in this run. But aphids killed my chace to best my record :frowning:

2 Likes

And yes genetics does play a part but I hadn’t selected anything for yeild. Just germed the seeds I had that I wanted to grow I had some better yeilder and some lower ones too. I believe it was
Green crack. - good yield
G13 haze - good yeild
Blue velvet - low yield
Cooies kush - low yield
Lemon zkittles - med yield
Icecream. -low to med yield.

Over all gret yeilds. Even the low yeilders almost hit a 100. Low was just considered low because compared to green crack it was a lot less or the G13. They stretched right to opposite sides of the tent.

3 Likes

Sometimes its like rolling the dice. Some times shit happens. I like to get high yields, everyone dose. But sometimes I want to grow something different to see different traits. Last summer I grew Bubblegum from Herbies and I really got tired of it. Lol. 10 plants laster you just get a little tied of the same thing. I got a whole bunch of good stuff from folks on here for this summer. Its going to be great!

3 Likes

Ah man that lady bug has a dead aphid on its back that’s its carrying as a trophy. Just made my day.

Plants have been coming along just fine aside from them residing in the great province of aphidia. Lol. They are getting very sticky and smelly. When I open my room now it punches me in the nose. Love that smell. I think the home made bud candy is making a big difference as the only other change really is the big bud instead of monster bloom.

Enjoy the pictures everyone. I have some yellowing going on I think minor deficiency but no clue what. Could be from aphids. Hoping to pull on day 56. I’m on about day 33 now not sure at the moment even though I could figure it out easy I just ate some really good edibles and I just can’t be bothered. So on I ramble instead. have a great night everyone. Stay happy!

Happy Growing :fire: :rose:
Chronickyle

4 Likes

Leaf issues.

6 Likes

Built a new light for my other room. Will post a full writeup in the led building thread. It was quite easy though I will be doing this from now on

5 Likes

Things in my room have been going alright. I have no idea if the aphidoletes are doing anything. But my problem is focusing it self on just 1 plant the blue velvet in the front left corner, fortunately as it taking the brunt of the damage, the grape ape next to it has got some on it but the other 2 seem pretty unscathed at the moment I’m about 6.5 weeks in, I stopped feeding big bud and switched it off for Advanced Nutrients over drive, could be a fluke but the plants responded great, water intake Increased within 2 days.

The trichomes are really piling on now and I have smelled it outside my house a few times now depending how the wind blows. (I vent straight outside) I attribute the gain in trichomes and odour to either the AN big bud or my homemade bud candy as I’ve grown everything else the same and these exact strains and have not achieved these results. Personally I 100% belive it to be the home made bud candy. Which is super cheap to make and is basically just dark brown sugar, water, and Epson salts in the right amounts.

Have a great day everyone
Happy Growing :fire: :rose:
Chronickyle

6 Likes

Looking good bro!

1 Like

Today is the start of week 8

I plan to harvest at least the blue velvet that is being attacked the most by the aphids this week, maybe I will harvest the rest as well. Or maybe even just the tops. Havnt fully decided.

Plants are looking beautiful though. Well 3/4 but that is to be expected. No idea what I’m looking at for yields but hopefully the aphids didn’t set me back too far.

Happy Growing :rose: :fire:
Chronickyle

5 Likes

Plants will be coming down on Friday. Flushed the hydro rez out today down to 50 ppm and will verify again later. When lights go out tomorrow at midnight they will stay out so that the plants have lower chlorophyll during harvest. I’m gonna try to save as many lady bugs and larvae as I can to put in another room then I will clean this room out. Screw you aphids I’m taking away your food! That’s my weed! :slight_smile:

Happy growing
Chronickyle :rose: :fire:

I will post new pictures shortly.

4 Likes

Uploading: 20210203_132048.jpg… Uploading: 20210203_132015.jpg…

6 Likes