Indoor grow journal, 2020 - passive hydro, first journal ever

Hello everyone, my name is Kyle and welcome to my grow, I have never done a grow journal before so I apologize in advance if this is not the normal style. I will learn the proper ways as this grow gets growing.

This grow was suppose to be a new change for me. I was planning on growing in a water only super soil known as kryptonite, things didn’t pan out and I have now decided to reset up my passive hydro system that I last used before I moved last year.

I will be growing 4 plants in this grow
2 Blue Velvets (blueberry Thai) 1 Strawberry Bannana kush and 1 Grape Ape

I will be using a 3 x 4 tent and growing from mothers. That I just transplanted today from soil into this system of hydroten perlite and vermiculite.
Any questions, please post. I will answer the best I can and hopefully learn a lot from you all along the way, for now I will post my starting pics.

Im out for now, happy growing​:fire::rose:
Chronickyle

17 Likes

Looks great! :+1: how does passive hydro work?

5 Likes

Hydroton on bottom 5 inches, there’s a drain hole 2.5 inch up which creates a partial reservoir. The remaining medium is 20 percent vermiculite and 80 percent perlite. The tube I water down so the water is fed to the bottom, there is also an air stone in the bottom of the pot.

4 Likes

Nice set up. Never seen this style of hydro. Do you Have any past pics using this system?

3 Likes

very cool idea like a modified Hempy thing

I can not wait to see it grow ::slight_smile:

all the best

Dequilo

6 Likes

Looking great, trying to find out how it works icon_e_confused|nullxnull, excuse my ignorance, when I saw dequilo’s hempy pots I made a search to see how they worked:

still have two questions regarding yours: the tubes are draining tubes? You water from the top and the remnant water just goes to a deposit in the bottom? Also I wonder if putting the hole higher would mean more water remaining and more time between watering, thanks for sharing, will keep an eye on this … beer3|nullxnull

3 Likes

This is most deffinetly based off of a hempy bucket design. It’s been so many years since I originally did it that I couldn’t even remember that name anymore. Thankyou.

Chronickyle

3 Likes

The tube on the bottom is a drain tube. I like to drain out 15 percent of the water to remove salt buildup.
The pipe on the top brings my airstone to the bottom and allows me to water to the bottom. Keeping my medium on top dry and forcing my plants to bottom feed.
If the hole is higher it will give you longer inbetween watering.
In the heart of flower I water twice a day. Gives me a lot of control over everything.

4 Likes

Thanks, now I see it better, thought those black tubes were out to sustain the net (quite solid structure :sweat_smile:), great system, willing to see it work …:sunglasses:

Edit: Didn’t read your edit before …

3 Likes

I poor the water in the tubes with a funnel on top and the water reservoir is in the bottom with the clay pebbles below the drain hole on the side.

2 Likes

This looks pretty freaking cool. I’m going to tag along.

2 Likes

Im sure I have pictures of my old grows. As soon as I get on wifi I will search for them.

1 Like

Photos from an older grow I don’t have many as I never use to take any but here’s what I have.

10 Likes

Awsome. I dont think I would be able to water twice a day.

1 Like

It’s not too bad just for a few weeks in the heart of flower is it twice a day and only take a few minutes to poor my premixed fert down the 4 holes.

1 Like

doing 3 five gallon ones right now

the pipe into the rez is a great idea with the netting :slight_smile:

I use HIDs so I just water with a can from the top

I have a inch or two of #2 stone at the bottom of mine for

a bit of weight

nice set up and thank you for the look at your

work and idea

Dequilo

4 Likes

It will be nice to follow along your grow as well. We can compar results and modify are setups based on this results.

2 Likes

So when you transplant from soil do you sit the bottom of your plant ontop of the clay pebbles and add the perlite/vermiculite mix? Or farther up? What I guess I’m really trying to ask is how your sure your plant is able to reach your resivor to get what it needs? Dose the vermiculite act as a type of wick? I’m familiar with vermiculite, making PF cakes for shrooms.

2 Likes

not sure where I am headed as of yet :slight_smile:

threw three beat up plants in some 10 year old buckets out

of bored

but I have done a couple of grow with Hempys they will grow

you a shit ton of weed with out a doubt

I have never seen roots in soil, soil-less, the ground

as you can get

all the best and I will be sure see where you take this

thanks for the ride

Dequilo

2 Likes