Introduce Yourself @OG (Part 1)

After many months of lurking and absorbing the wealth of the OG brain trust, it’s time I introduce myself.

@GrouchyOldMan is my callsign but I am more reclusive than crabby. I abhor hubris, in myself as well as others, and around here I realize there are venerable CannaGawds in our presence. “Know where you are and don’t be a fool,” words to live by.

My background:

• 68 years old, retired IT consultant. Using cannabis since I was 13 in SoCal. I recall the evolution from mexican dirt weed kilos, to Panama Red, Acapulco Gold, Thai Stick, Maui Wowie, Skunk and onward into the fabulous strains we have today.
  • I’ve grown in many different venues, from a hippie commune outdoor acres, to guerilla grows on a isolated mountainside, and stealthy grow closet setups in states that offered life in prison if you were caught.
  • Now, in the age of Canna Enlightment, growing has become legal and I’ve got a sweet basement grow room for my experiments. Hallelujah and pass that doobie!
  • I have a strong science background and I’m more methodical than creative really. I was growing a single strain, White Widow, for all of 2020, tweaking the “knobs” each time to get to know that one plant deeply. Now I’m moving on to the wild world of AutoFlowers. I only raise a few plants at a time with LST, SCROG, selective defoliation and supercropping on tap as needed.
  • I grow exclusively in large pots using soil comprised of the compost I make combined with Foxfarm or other quality commercial soils as an amendment. Appropriate nutes as needed. State of the art LED lighting and an evolving system of environmental controls allows me to pamper my plants and let them tell me what they need.
  • My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
  • I’m learning how to create cannabis tinctures (thx @ReikoX) and hashish (hat tip @JoeCrowe!) and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.

Despite my avatar name I’m generally amenable and helpful. So, if there’s a question I’m qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy
Pics:
Current Grow Gorilla Cookies near harvest,

The Purple Widow a year in the making

The Purple Hulk, Bruce Banner Auto

White Widow BU2BPPP Manifold, LST & Scrogged out for a flat canopy.

White Widow with Espalier training

23 Likes

Welcome to OG @GrouchyOldMan , glad you decided to join us.

2 Likes

Hi Giovanni!

I was in Italy not that long ago. (Pre COVID)

Wonderful wine, excellent food, top notch beer…

But no marijuana anywhere!

3 Likes

Welcome! Tag me into your journal if remember.

You got my interest with this comment. I’m in agreement with that sentiment. Then I saw the Purple Widow🔥. I’m in!
:v::sunglasses::+1:

4 Likes

Thanks Doug, I remember we “met” during an @ReikoX Free Seed Friday fiesta! I formed an immediate impression that you were a very nice fellow, and here you are,
OG Ambassador of good vibe.

7 Likes

Gracias @MoBilly! When I mentioned “Venerable” you were one of the ones I was talkin about.

PS, I’m having @JohnnyPotseed withdrawals! I was halfway down his Circus thread when it suddenly vanished right before my eyes! Damnation, enough to make a feller grouchy. Any chance he may reinstate that thread?

5 Likes

Welcome aboard

2 Likes

Hey bud, Johnny had to move his thread to the private lounge for security reasons. The circus is still going but you will have to reach regular status to get in to that section. Info on that can be found here.

6 Likes

Thank you @GrouchyOldMan .
Unfortunately I don’t think that is an option for him. I’m going to be bumping my level to regular if I can so I can bug him on his thread. I don’t have a lot of time for this.
I’m a drive by poster. I’m in and out all the time working for a bit and then resting my back while I post. I don’t, usually, have a lot of time to scroll. lol

3 Likes

Hey @GrouchyOldMan … there were issues and moving the thread was the only option cuz. It’s now in the Private Lounge.

5 Likes

Gorgeous pics @GrouchyOldMan , welcome to OG!

4 Likes

@GrouchyOldMan those photos are stunning. Looking forward to indoor and outdoor grows as well, can only imagine what it took to achieve those results. Amazing job.

6 Likes

Thanks for explaining Johnny, I posted that dumb Rooster story to your Circus minutes before the thread went down and freaked that I’d stumbled into something I didn’t understand.

So, I reckon today marks my push to reach “Regular” status so I can follow your most excellent Circus, and unlock some of the other wonders of OG.com

6 Likes

Hi @Shabita93 Welcome to the party :partying_face:

8 Likes

That, my new friend, is a work of art, the photo and the weed! Beautiful.

4 Likes

Hi @805Canna Welcome to the party :partying_face:

6 Likes

Hi @GrouchyOldMan Welcome to the party old Man :partying_face:

4 Likes

Yum @Smoke knows the way to a grower’s :heart:
I knew I was gonna like it here!

4 Likes

@GrouchyOldMan I knew I was gonna like you Grouchy

3 Likes

I’m like an old clock @Smoke, I just keep on tickin. No digital display, no stopwatch, just steady hands banging out the seconds, minutes, hours, days…

I’ve got a thing or two to learn about imaging Cannabis from you! Did you grow the plants in your pics? :100:

4 Likes