Super cool people and lots of info

7 Likes

Welcome to OG @omne !! the best place to be at :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice to meet you @omne, welcome to OG.:peace_symbol:

4 Likes

@Masshole.growz

3 Likes

I’ve been growing a number of different strains for my family for a while now and I love how amazingly responsive (and different) all the plants are! A couple years ago I cloned plants we enjoyed and made feminized seeds which have worked out well. I grow outside in 30-gallon fabric bags. I made rolling platforms for the plants with 24" exterior plywood discs, painted white with deck paint. Each disc has 4 castering wheels so the plants are easy to move around on our deck. We got a mystery seed in a package sent by old growers in CA 3-years ago and I had fun growing that. I called it Mrs Droopy because overnight it would droop much more than any of the other plants and when the sun came up all the droop disappeared. Early on it was taller than all the other plants. Now so far I had only been growing feminized seeds so I wasn’t looking out for male characteristics but when it got to be about 7’ tall it all of a sudden became completely obvious it was actually Mr Droopy! I moved it as far away as I could and let it keep growing. I crossed it with a smaller female Gelato I had cloned earlier in the summer and got many seeds. Next year I called the strain DroopyGelato (DG for short). Next spring the seeds germinated VERY quickly and were amazingly robust! I gave away a bunch of seedlings to friends. The two I grew turned out to be males and one of them had the most lovely dark red, almost burgundy stems. A friend who was growing some of the seedlings (that turned out to be female) and one of the females also had the dark red/burgundy stem coloring. I cloned my red-stemmed male and her red-stemmed female and then in the fall bred the clones to create DroopyGelatoRed (DGR). Most of the DGR plants now have the dark red/burgundy stem coloring. I’ll be picking the darkest red male and female plants again this year to cross. I have no idea what the mystery seed was. The plants appear to have a strong sativa influence. The only plant I can find that they look like is Congo Red Stem … but who knows? Since this is just my intro post I don’t know if I can add photos yet. If people are interested maybe I can in replies or a new post. I’ve also crossed DGR with Jack Herer, Chocolope, and Harlequin. All of them grow well also but don’t have the red stems.

Updated: here’s a link to my 2023 Grow Journal

20 Likes

Welcome to OG @andstephen. You’re gonna love it here.

8 Likes

Welcome to OG @andstephen :v:

9 Likes

Welcome to OG, @andstephen! Pot leaf hopper And I predict @Prince is correct, you’re going to love it here!

7 Likes

Here’s a closup of one of the red-stemmed DGR plants this year:

20 Likes

Welcome to OG.@andstephen! You are in a good place. Og is great folks

2 Likes

Nice to meet you @andstephen, thats a pretty plant. Welcome to OG.:peace_symbol:

1 Like

I don’t tell anyone about OG; like-minded people need to find it on their own to appreciate it.

4 Likes

Welcome @andstephen , thanks for being here! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :+1:

Beautiful and wise what you’ve been doing, growing these plants is amazing and awesome fun!

I’m gonna remember the rolling platform idea, thank you very much for sharing that!

Now imagine them one story high with wheels on long legs, so that you can grow under them too!

4 Likes

Welcome to OG. Nice post. I’ve only been here a few weeks myself.

From what you describe, i’d love to see some pix of your grow setup and those fab sounding DGR plants. Oh, scrolling further down i see a pic. Cool as heck.

Sheesh, i just got a “Consider replying to several posts at once” popup, so i pasted this part in the part above.

Anyway, what i was going to say is that i’m glad somebody told me about OG, or i’d be lost! :smiley:

5 Likes

Can you describe the smoke, it’s effects, taste, harshness or mildness? Fantastic grow and uh…what’s the word for what you do, uh…it’s called not horticulture, but uh…where you hybridize plants and create new varieties and strains…wtf’s that called? Plant breeding?

2 Likes

Welcome all who are new to OG! :partying_face:

Now you got a ticket :tickets: for The Greatest Show On Earth :earth_africa:! Buckle up for the ride :roller_coaster: of your life! :wink::sunglasses::peace_symbol:

5 Likes

Welcome to OG @omne and @andstephen!

2 Likes

I’ll ask my spouse. I smoke very little – maybe when I play music with friends, dancing to a great band, or kayaking. I really enjoy growing for my family and sharing seedlings with friends. Most of my family have a great deal of chronic pain and life can be quite hard for them. I’m the kind of person who really likes fixing problems and these are problems I can’t fix. What I grow helps a little and even helping a little helps all of us on many levels.

[Adding more re your question about what to call what I’m doing]: I’m doing pretty simple plant breeding/strain development. Where I grow (northeast US) it gets colder and rainy in September. I’ve grown a bunch of different strains and some seem much more likely to have problems with botrytis (bud rot). This seems to happen more with plants which make larger and thicker colas – so I’m interested in growing plants with more but smaller more open colas so there is less buildup of high-humidity micro-climates in the flowers on the colas. Am also quite geeky and like learning new things so figuring out how to make clones and then feminized seeds from the strains that grew better was fun.

The DGR strain development is fun, I think the red/burgundy stems are beautiful, I enjoy the origin story of the original seed and the mystery of it, I like that the red/burgundy stems appear to be unusual, germinating the seeds is very easy, AND the DGR plants seems to be more resistant to pests and fungal outbreaks.

5 Likes

A question about organizing posting/topics. I have some more details that I think folks would be interested in and I’m wondering whether to include them in a thread from a topic post I start (maybe in “outdoor-growing” since after seedlings that’s where all my plants live) … or should I make different topic starter posts. Here’s the first few things items I was thinking of sharing.

• seedling heaven (where I start seedlings)
  • how I grow my seedlings
  • my rolling platforms I use for the 30-gallon fabric bags
  • more about the DGR strain development
  • and more about plants I’m growing this year

Am definitely not presenting myself as an expert. Am sure some of the things I’ve learned will be useful/interesting to others and am of course interested in feeback.

4 Likes

That would be a great idea indeed, feel free to go right ahead and perhaps share the link of your topic in a post here too! Thank you for contributing!

1 Like