JohnnyPotseed's Test of BudBusterPro

Dedication pays

1 Like

Cormoran,
Obviously, for all grows VPD, Lighting, CO2 supplementation, nutrient levels, genetics all play a SIGNIFICANT role in your crop yields…the thing that really never changes in my experience is the physiology of plants. So to that point, I can only tell you that BBP has been applied to indoor, outdoor,
small grows, large grows and I’m assuming they weren’t all under ideal conditions all the time !

Over many years I tested BBP on multiple ornamental varieties when I was interested in plant sensetivity response. The results all showed very similar and predictable responses…density of foliage, heavy flower bud, and interestingly very deep color hues. I offer this information to support my conclusion that plant physiology does not vary across species…FWIW

3 Likes

@BudBusterPro Thanks for stepping up to the plate. I think it’s a solid thing of you to do, as we all want what’s best. Many people are gonna need lab results to pull the trigger, so this will solve that. @JohnnyPotseed is doing a hell of a job so I think this is a great thing going on. This is the place where testing for the community needs to happen. :peace_symbol::green_heart::seedling::heart::turkey:

6 Likes

Amen, very appreciative to be working with THREE great growers here and it will be a lot of fun following the grows…

Gotta run, hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving !

6 Likes

Thanks @JohnnyPotseed

3 Likes

Now this here is believing in your product AND putting your money where your mouth is. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I keep the VPD around .9 for vegging as well as budding, Humidity is controlled as well at 65-70% in vegging and then down to 40-50% in budding, the heat/cool are both thermostatic controlled, with the temp consistent at 68-72, and I have a constant flow of fresh air intake for CO2. I don’t use canned CO2. Both BB#3 and BD are pretty consistent in phenotype.

5 Likes

Ok, nice, sounds pretty dialed-in and I’m glad to hear that we can (mostly) eliminate phenotype from the variables. Just curious about something, for my own understanding… I’m probably confused about this, since I’m still learning, but how can the VPD stay at 0.9 at 65-70% and 40-50% humidity without major swings in the temperature? My chart says that’s right on the money for 40-50% humidity at 72, but 0.9 with 65-70% humidity would take 88-95F temps, which can’t be right. Nothing to do with the experiment, but I’m wondering whether I just don’t fully understand VPD, or if there’s a typo somewhere. :slight_smile: I guess you could also be pressurizing and depressurizing the room, but that’s a technique I’ve never come across if so. Sorry, almost but not entirely off topic here… you may have noticed I tend to drift. :wink:

3 Likes

The rooms are almost totally hermetically sealed cuz When you open or close the door you feel the pull or push of the pressure The variable is .8-1.0 it fluctuates
same thing with the humidity and temps, there are variations but minusclue

W

6 Likes

Ok, nice, pressurized room it is! I suppose I’ve never come across it because I’m still small-fry, easy explanation there. :stuck_out_tongue: Very professional setup, I’m impressed.

2 Likes

When we built out/ converted the barn. we insulated higher than recommended, then 6mil poly everything and stapled. then caulked every joint and installed the paneling with caulk behind each as well as sealed anything that even looked like it wouldn’t be ‘airtight’.

I’ve grown many years and knew exactly how and what I wanted in having complete control of every factor

Also, lol how to make that happen!

8 Likes

Taking notes, I plan to obsess a little bit more over the insulation of the basement now. :slight_smile: I guess you can measure VPD separately from temp/humidity with a barometer or something similar?

I have any number of instruments to measure stuff cuz, I believe in ‘redundancy’ lol

3 Likes

I do the measuring at the plant canopy then the ambient (room) temp there are charts that tell you the rest

I’m not aware of any instrument, per se, that measures just the VPD

3 Likes

There are several digital/spring thermometers as well as hygrometers in each room, at different height/points around

But @Cormoran … with all that said cuz, I STILL go as much by ‘feel’ as with the instruments! lol
Don’t forget cuz lol I’ve been growing all my life and moved to indoor growing in the winter of '84-'85
The ‘feel right’ is almost always correct, i just dbl check with instruments so no mistakes, or as few as possible.

Some of this is so ingrained into me it’s like second nature or breathing.

7 Likes

Ok, gotcha, so you just know what humidity to have it by decades of practice as much as the charts and I’m way overthinking this. :stuck_out_tongue: That sounds pretty standard for me… thanks for taking the time to clarify! And yeah, even I’m starting to be able to pretty much tell how they’re feeling just by spending a little time in there with them.

2 Likes

lol IKR… the wife at one point told me I might as well move a cot into my grow rooms and marry the plants! i spent so much time with them, but she’s came a long way and now does as much with them as me lol

being retired does have it’s advantages lol such getting to spend all day every day with the plants

7 Likes

@Cormoran I gotta say cuz, you seem to be pretty sharp there! I’ve not heard more than a handful of folks use the term VPD, or even know what it is, in my life!
Almost any grower knows that heat or cold, as well as too high humidity or too low, can stress plants and cause injury death, etc. But very few use ‘VPD’…

all that aside, I grow for the love of this plant, and don’t usually get very ‘scientific’ about things lol Just when I think about it.

3 Likes

Just trying to learn all I can, I’ve killed too many plants already. I didn’t learn that term till I started browsing the forums, came across the chart and started scratching my head and going “huh?” and then had to know wtf it was. :stuck_out_tongue: In the end it works out to giving the plants the environment they like, similar to what they’d get outdoors - warm and humid for seedlings and early veg, with humidity slowly decreasing as it gets closer to flower and temperature dropping off, especially at night. Pretty common sense, only I would need a chart to figure this out…

4 Likes

While I say a certain number, I know that the variance is often more than I like it to be. But, I do try to maintain those numbers … give or take a few either direction lol Most growers know the plant needs to transpire properly for the optimum growth potential, and that requires monitoring both temp and humidity. I usually just automatically look at the gauges when entering any of the rooms used, and if the numbers are a bit ‘off’ no big deal lol. If they get too far of I check to make sure everything is functioning like it should.

4 Likes