Keeping Sativas small with Upstate

My soil has fertilizer added during winter/ spring, then just supplemental feeding after planting.
Chicken shit pellets work great for topdressing. I also topdress fishbone meal and a little high n bat guano at the start of flower, but should add it 2 weeks earlier ideally. I put it on top of the new soil at final transplant time.
An alternative is to make food spikes using a dowel driven into the fresh soil at up.potting time. 4 spikes around the perimeter. A couple of them can contain high phosphorus bat guano a couple high n bat guano and mix in kelp meal with both. .If I have time to do that, it’s the best way hands down. This year I didn’t have time, so i’ve been forced to top dress, and I am playing catch up rather than staying ahead. Spikes are a great way to compensate for soil that doesn’t have everything it needs. It’s just time consuming making them.

3 Likes

Peshawar Afghani is about 2’ the Oaxacan female is about 14" and the male is taller but not getting up potted just keeping alive long enough to top and harvest some pollen.

4 Likes

Peshawar

Oaxaxan female

9 Likes

Can you handle 4 feet height? I’d put both Peshawar and Oaxaca into the final container now. How big of a container? Good job keeping them healthy.

3 Likes

So far everything except the ancestral skunk x Turkish hash plant is in 1 gal oh well except the Oaxacan male it’s in a 2 gal.

2 Likes

That’s OK, but you want them all ( under 12/12)to grow now… there’s just 5weeks left of growth for most phenos. They grow quick-with extra space. Time to up pot. What size containers do you have?

2 Likes

3 and 5 gal thanks ok but they went into 12/12 after just 2 wks of veg so the flower time wouldn’t really start until week 5 regardless because it naturally will veg for first 4-5 wks?

2 Likes

Flowering time starts from flipping lights to 12/12, but the actual flower cycle will be faster if Flowering a mature plant. A couple weeks faster.
Even though the plants are growing vegetatively for 5-8 weeks when flowering 12/12 from seed, they are still flowering @420noob

4 Likes

Thanks for the insight into the little overlap of cycles and that there is Still Veg growth happening the first few weeks of Flower @Upstate

I’m still giggling about the need for flipping a 3 week old plant.

Guess I’m going to find out

2 Likes

That would be the old DYNA-GRO line being rebranded, I bought a bottle of their foliage pro and the label said “dyna-gro is now super thrive!”

1 Like

Ya it’s been around a long time the superthrive bottle says dyna-grow right on it.
@upstate so I went back throught my records :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

very organized right? So plants are 9 weeks old and had 4 wks veg and only 5 weeks flower.

4 Likes

So Peshawar Afghani got new shoes 3 gal

Oaxacan in 3 gal

15 Likes

Ok. Great
I was shocked they were at week “9” of flower. Thought I’d nearly failed you… Skip the Turbo mode up pot then😁 3 gallon is plenty big. You can go 2 gallon for now as well.
3 gallon it is! Going to be quite the growth spurt starting in a few days. Better too big than too small.

2 Likes

Those Peshawar are something. I have a 5 footer in a 1 gallon pot lol.

5 Likes

Speaking of Peshawar I thought I rescued 2 ox x rs but found a label and I believe it’s another Peshawar Afghani! Hopefully the red snake is female. Damn it I was gonna go 2 gal as well but changed mind. Lol

1 Like

Well, it took all summer before getting the landrace up potted. I ended up with 2 Lambsbread, 2 Ace of Haze x Zacatecas, and 1 Swazi Red. That’s probably the longest I’ve ever left plants in a not quite 1 gal pot. They never missed a beat but drank a lot of water. I’ve got them in 5 gal felt pots now. We’ll see how much more they’ll grow with flowering being so close.

They all look the same now but Jamaican in the back, two front left are AoHxZac, and Swazi next to them. :v:

16 Likes

I found the female Odisha Valley after 19 days of 11/13 lighting.
She really wants to grow. Scared to put her in the 3 gallon

I’ll try to keep her in the 1 gallon for another month. Keyword being try. :joy:

16 Likes

And She is a Beauty. Morning @InTheWoods

2 Likes

Thanks @MissinBissin. :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Very cool!

1 Like