Kush’s mushroom madness

What @Skyf said also pic #1 could be bacterial you can still spawn out but won’t produce big and chance of contam other boxes. Do you vent your PC before you set your timers?

Also with those grains the mycelium that is how it travels. Its not strong enough to eat the shell so it spreads through the nutritious sift center and comes out another spot. My whole grains do that they are inoculation points

3 Likes

I’m not having luck with making my own jars. Lol I don’t vent the pc I just let it cool on it’s own overnight before removing the lid

2 Likes

No venting is something you do before you start you PC timer. Once it’s rolling good with the jars in it. Pull your weight off and let it vent for 15 min that way it pushes all the air out and fills with steam. Then you put your weight back on then start your timer. Otherwise the grains in the middle may not get sterilized so will contam. Just something to try.

5 Likes

Interesting, I would have never thought to do that. Thanks!

4 Likes

Took a break for a bit. I was getting tired of making shitty grains lol. I’m back to try again, I think I got it this time!

I ordered a master culture from spores lab but they were out of stock so they hooked me up

6 Likes

Check this out! https://mrnicespores.com/

1 Like

Apparently Shantibaba and Mr. Nice, James O’Neill and John Allen teamed up

1 Like

Have you started running grains again yet?
Thanks for the link.

1 Like

@420noob I ordered a couple bags of pre made. When I get home from work. I plan on testing out my LCs and see if that’s where my contam is coming from. If it works then it’s my grain prep that’s the issue. If not then I will try the pf tek with spore and start over.

2 Likes

Solid plan trial and error. Getting into agar is super helpful to find contam. Ive tested grains in colonized jars to make sure grew out clean on agar. You’ll get it going again no doubt.

2 Likes

I have all the stuff for agar but for some reason I can’t get my plates to fully colonize. It always grows and stops or just never starts. I have stacks of plates but I think I will try a no pour and see if that helps.
I don’t have a flow hood and I’m starting to get pretty skeptical with my SAB lol I need to cut back on places the contam can get in.

1 Like

I just inoculated 6 lbs of grain, 2 of tidal wave 4, 2 of tidal wave blob, and 2 of golden emperor. Let’s see if my LC is no good or not. Hopefully it is, it would be disappointing to loose.

4 Likes

Are those 1 lb bags?

1 Like

@420noob Those are 2lbs

1 Like

Whole oats?

1 Like

Rye. I haven’t tried oats before

1 Like

Ok lol all the mushies I’ve grown I’ve never actually seen rye berries.lol. They look like coffee beans to me not whole oats that’s why I was asking. I never realized I had no idea what rye looked like anyways it’s the go to grain right now glad you are having success. They should sell rye at any farm and feed or tractor supply or any store of that type right?

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s at brew stores, feed stores, Amazon, and I found these pre made bags on Etsy there are a few mushroom farms on there.

2 Likes

Does it come sterilized?

1 Like

Yup. Hydrated and sterilized. I think $11 for a 2lbs bag. They have 1-6lb bags

1 Like