Lactic acid bacteria serum! Aka LABS

Thanks for backing that up mate especially with your knowledge, I don’t have the skills or smarts to explain it as well as you did.

I live in a developing country also and in a very rural area so people in my area although always have rice they can’t always afford milk but I still encourage them to just use the rice wash on it’s own to collect bacteria.

Next is trying to convince them not to burn their leaves, they don’t like hearing that though… to them I’m just a crazy white boy who they see carting wheelbarrows of cow shit up the road and picking magic mushrooms in the rain haha

8 Likes

I made some. So easy! Got any tips for using it to make Bokashi? I mean, do I just dilute it and pour it on some wheat bran and let it sit for a week or two then dry it out? Is that really all there is to it?!

1 Like

I’ve used the unconventional farmer website quite a lot regarding LAB and fortunately it is still readable on the wayback machine:

4 Likes

That’s a lot of good info. I started adding a little LAB to my morning glass of water. Read it may help people with celiacs or a gluten intolerance. Gonna send this info to a friend that has gluten problems. Also been feeding my dog the cheese off the top of the ferment and he loves it. I tried it also and it’s a strong flavor!

5 Likes

Little miss Muffet she sat on her tuffet, eating her curds and whey
Along came a spider who sat down beside her
And frightened miss Muffet away
Lol

I make bokashi using this technique

First make some ‘EM’ by adding 500ml of LAB, 500ml of black strap molasses and 19 litres of water to a 20litre bucket seal with a lid and let sit for 1 month in a cool dark spot.

Bokashi recipe (1 pound of wheat bran)
5ml EM
5ml LAB
1 pound of bran
Water (just enough to moisten not wet)

I mix all ingredients then put it in a garbage bag and seal then put back in the bucket with the lid on back in the cool dark spot again for another 2 to 3 weeks. Once done if not used immediately you will have to dry it properly before storing it.

I hope your wife likes the smell more than mine haha

7 Likes

It can actually even stop all symptoms of crohn’s disease if sipped with every meal, amazing stuff :muscle:t4:

5 Likes

Would that be similar to growkashi? I read in a thread about sips that they like to use growkashi to put fungus in their grow box. They get hyphae to grow thick under the mulch layer with it.

4 Likes

I’ll have to read up on growkashi mate, I remember hearing about it last year in a podcast but can’t remember the specifics. I think growkashi was the company name if I recall.

My belief in having it in my soil mix is it’s adding beneficial bacteria and helping the worms break down organic matter becoming plant available faster.

2 Likes

Yep, this reminds me. I need to make some more.

I know this is an old thread, but since it exists, I don’t think I need to start a new one
Anyone have a theory/experience regarding decreasing the ratio of milk utilized to culture LABS?

I ask because I made a 1000mL batch of grain wash, which would equate to 10L of milk (2.5 gallons); it seems that since the intention of the milk is to attract lactobacillus, that I could just use the 1000mL grain wash with 1 gallon of milk, and it may even culture faster as a result of having additional bacteria quantities from the initial fermentation.

Or I could just throw out the rest into the compost which would also be NBD.

1 Like

@HeadyBearAdventures I’ve made labs with less milk before, came out fine.

4 Likes

Much appreciated @Oldtimerunderground , it made sense in theory, but there’s no substitute for experience!
Thanks for the reply.

2 Likes

Stuck in late night like jail :heart: lol. But you’re most welcome :grin: I typically use 1L wash to 3L milk and it comes out great.

1 Like

im sure itll be fine

1 Like

Yeah, even as I was typing it, I was like “Heady Bear, you know you’re gonna try this anyway, why are you asking?” :crazy_face::joy::bear:
It’s just nice to have some confirmation sometimes

1 Like

I had never even heard of LAB until this site. I’ve gotta try this!

1 Like

I think I’ve been missing out here! Got a lot of catching up to do…

2 Likes

HA! Thats exactly how I felt when I stumbled on this.

3 Likes

Just brewed a batch, 1/4 cup organic oatmeal topping added at start of ferment.

6 Likes