Landraces of India

Use the search engine up top, it is a symbol that looks like this:

IMG_0475

You can find a lot of information on this site using this search engine. As far as Sheelavathi, I just sent a bunch of this seed to @Tracker. He is a great guy and I am sure would send some your way…… or hit me up as I do have a few left.

5 Likes

@globalhead

@Oldjoints gave me plenty of seeds of Sheelavathi to share around freely. I received the source seeds from a contact in Tamil Nadu.

If you want some, please send me a DM.

You can see info on @Oldjoints journal HERE

5 Likes

Very interesting what you say about the mango according to what I know the east coast and the north east of India are two different stories and have no connection. The seven sister states have more connection with the Myanmar, laos and China and the genepool moved along these lines. Anyway we could never know for sure and as long as smoke is good we shouldn’t care. Shela does show herface now and again in Pune and I have asked my friend to collect when she does. I have limited space as I grow in my flat with a diy setup so long flowering sativa’s growing is an injustice. I am waiting on some cultivars like Columbian mango biche, Congolese x mango biche, Panama x Congolese, Punto Rojo ect and will try to grow in flat 4" plastic trays. I’ve seen the Thai guys doing it like that and i’m impressed with what they are doing in Thailand…India is years behind. I feel the love from OG and going to enjoy the ride while learning. If you would like to try the Andhra gold pls let me know. Thankyou kindly.

5 Likes

Thanks for the offer and if I need any I will definitely ask. I will be getting a landrace from Bangladesh it’s what the Bauls (wandering minstrels) smoke they go around villages singing praises of the divine infuse the people with divine energy and moving on. Will let you know when I have it.
@Tracker did you grow them and if so could ypu share spme pics?

2 Likes
2 Likes

I grew them out and made seed for many folks here on the site. You can see a lot of info and pictures in this thread;

Click green lettering below:

4 Likes

I did not grow them. I received the starter seeds from a contact in Tamil Nadu. @Oldjoints grew them for a seed co-op run. @BigMike55 attempted to flower out a clone of one of @Oldjoints plants sinsemilla, but it got spider mites during flower and did not finish.

It is tall and lanky with a very long flower time. See @Oldjoints journal referenced above.

If anyone wants some for their collection, send me a DM.

5 Likes

Thank you @Tracker for preserving this great Indian landrace @Oldjoints for your dedication and hard work and @Upstate for this tread and your interest in Indian landraces.

3 Likes

Yes, I would love some and will dm you my deets after the new year rush …thanks again and happy holidays.

1 Like

Here’s my Odisha from @Budderton at about 6 weeks of flower

25 Likes

Super, I wonder if it is Malkangiri which is an odhisa strain. Weed and opium are legal in Odhisa Puri one can buy and posses 50 grams for personal use.

1 Like

Police pressure in the 80’s/90’s pushed West coast growers East, and then again more recently in the East there is police pressure once again, forcing some farmers to flee North, this time to Meghalaya. Here’s some info from my buddy @ShivamGrover

Follow the Mango😁
Though not mentioned, Karnataka, just north of Kerala, experienced the same police pressure. This police pressure is also responsible for the shortened Kerala flowering times, birthing the Sheelawathi strain, which flowers 14-16 weeks instead of 16- 18+ weeks

8 Likes

Shoot on site orders for growers? It’s wild to think they still face trouble with how long and naturally the plant has been growing there.

2 Likes

Wow! Beautiful plant

3 Likes

It’s nice, man! Still curing but tasting richer and smoking smoother all the time, I have it every two or three days and have been sampling the Pasture organic vs the Garage salts grown and they’re interesting, the line is pretty inbred and I think the differences in the final buds came down to feed and sunlight overall but weirdly not a clear victory for one or the other. I’ll write more about them later today with some pictures of the nuggage, for now here’s a little jar of dry sift that I made from scrappy little lowers, just a cup or two of crushed plant material:

15 Likes

Hey nice job reproducing Sheelawathi @Oldjoints …do you have any more seeds ,care to share ,thank you very much ,Happy Holidays @Tracker .
OverGrow The World. Justanotheroldfsrthippie.
Peace.

4 Likes

@Upstate, here up and north still means central India and has nothing to do with the north east of India where people don’t consider themselves to be Indian and fighting for autonomy. The farmers don’t make seedless because it will decrease the weight and are always paranoid and chopping before the crop matures. Many farmers don’t know what they are growing and only go by how much they can get. The same strain will get localised names every 50kms usually the name of the place where it was grown. India is diverse and big and difficult to understand even for Indians. Not trying to rock the boat here as I have no commercial interest…just a getting old hippie and Goa head who loves nature.

9 Likes

Send addy and I will fire off a pack to you.

6 Likes

Being new to OG and growing in general I have a question. Is it possible to run the Indian landrace sativa genetics in a tent? My tent is not tall and outdoor growing isn’t out of the question though I worry they may not finish before frost and or snow ruin them.

I’m a massive fan of sativa Dom strains and really want to grow something that is as original as possible. If that isn’t just me being ignorant.

6 Likes

It’s totally possible although I wouldn’t normally recommend it as a first grow as there’s lots to consider. But I also would never discourage anyone from trying it even as a new grower because even if it’s a failure you will learn a lot and turn that into a success the next go around.

How tall is your tent? Do you have a greenhouse? You could always start a grow in the spring and then take a cutting and start flowering that indoors around June/July and then move it back outside in August/September to hopefully finish in time. What’s your latitude?

It sounds like you’ll probably need to keep these under control and there’s a great thread with lots of information to help do just that:

4 Likes