Light deprivation, an organic tale in mid Michigan 2020

That’s really interesting, thanks. The concept of intentionally making a plant stretch then getting it back into more full light is very clever!

2 Likes

@Growtogrow
Very interesting thread brother …pulling up a chair

2 Likes

Good to see the light dep! I am experimenting with that this summer. Been pulling tarp for close to a month. Good thing for Covid or I would be missing travel… Maybe in the Fall… Or winter… Or maybe I need a rotisserie grill to pull for me!

2 Likes

@livingthedream
Welcome
Good to have you a long for the ride

2 Likes

Good to see another light depth grow person… married to their grow LoL
Where in the world are you?
I’ve been tarping this first crop now for 11 days. The most of the girls are
showing good bud sign now. Some are showing large colon development and structure.

5 Likes

Growing in Oregon. light dep
This is an experiment.
So far I have pulled one MM male and down potted a surprise Sour Pineapple male - CBD Dom (bagseed, Hhhmmm)

2 Likes

I’ve a good friend who live in there. He has been doing light depth for a good while now. He is all organic making many different type of home brewed teas. And has a small to mid size green house w that he work’s out of and also he runs led lights go help with overcast skies.

2 Likes

Cool! In the old days I would have suggested sitting down over a bowl. These days I prefer to bring my own.

Last year I struggled to keep my girls up in the face of September-October bud rot. Hope to finish them much earlier this year. At least the ones in the covered bed.

3 Likes

The dreaded Bud Rot…Man that stuff is relentless and so is the Powdery Mildew. But You can fight those. You got to really pay attention to your plant in order to catch the BR before it can get away from you.
Bud rot will leave tall tale signs when it’s in your bud. It’s not hard to spot and usually starts with a little tiny bit of a yellow spot or yellow leaf that in the bud. You can grab that bud and get it out of there and spay the plant with hydrogen peroxide and water mix h202. Were you take a regular quart size bottle of hydrogen peroxide that you can get at any drugstore or Pharmacy or grocery store of 3% hydrogen peroxide and mix that to 3 quarts of water. I do this every harvest inside or outside…rather thay have Bud rot or not mildew or anything else I always wash my entire crop before I harvest it all. You can spray it on as a foliar spray and or you can take and use 5 gallon buckets and just simply wash your buds before you put them into the drying stage.

So these are pics of washed or washing buds … (do not be afraid of washing your bud). Don’t worry about washing any of the thc off. The trikes don’t wash off. But what h202 does wash off is bug poop bird poop dust dirt grime all that stuff washes off the plant and you are left with awesome tasting bud when you finish the whole drying and curing process. I do my trimming after I washed a branch with buds on it…it’s so much easier because the hydrogen peroxide adds the extra oxygen molecules. that lifts the grime off the plant leaving nothing but plant flesh. You don’t have to worry about your scissors so much getting gummed up with resin cuz it slides right off your scissors and sticks to the plant it doesn’t stick to your hands… I’ve been using this practice for about five years now…My average harvests are very large and I have friends of mine working with me and we get a lot done in a short time using this method. After the trimming is done and manicuring. Then I lay the buds on screens to let them dry or I’ll hang them with the branch and hang them on a hanger to dry some but not to cure just to dry. And not dry crispy but dry to the point where 3 or 5 days like that. Then we go from there to the jar curing and or vacuum bagging and freezing for long-term storage and in the future I go from the freezer To the jar cure process. I also been doing a lot of sun drying. I and my homies like that a lot…these methods I’ve found to be the very best way of keeping my AAA bud fresh every time you grab a bud and smoke it. I also use Bovada 62% humidity pack’s in my jars to keep my weed the way I like it and the freshness it can be all the time. for up to two years if my jars ever lasted that long LOL.
there’s a lot of different people out there doing a lot of different curing processes but I found these ones to be the very best for the very best flavor freshness storage and usage.

oh yeah I almost forgot I used to 34% hydrogen peroxide because I use such large quantities it’s cheaper for me to buy this way and dilute it down to 3%.

14 Likes

@AllOra… I know right love to smoke weed in groups. it’s my favorite thing to do actually I don’t mind having my own bowl or joint that doesn’t bother me so much but it’s the comradery of your friends. ! I’d like to introduce Skully.

Skully’s has evolved over the last couple of years he started out as a hookah pipe and now is something else20190203_220817|281x500 I’m kind of a bong officiato. As I love to smoke out of bongs and pipes that’s my primary way of getting my medicine. And I’m known for creating most anything LOL into a bong or a pipe. From sticks and twigs two rocks anything in between natural or unnatural LOL old Scully got his head crack though and I have to fix him or by another skull. ! (upload://30MDSPazC4ftuP3jNUstKFEkWOL.jpeg)

4 Likes

Your a skully man, me too. I used a skull vodka bottle for a pipe as well. I collect and paint skully stuff.

1 Like

That’s some nice soil :ok_hand:

1 Like

I have the Alien vodka head too.
My next creation will be an alien theme. Complete with a glowing UFO that I found on Amazon a few weeks ago.

2 Likes

Thanks… It’s base is fox farm’s and happy frog. The whole entire 14x20 grow cage is 18 inches deep and all amended vermiculite perlite clay pellets and rocks bat guano alpaca poop you name it it’s in there Peruvian seabird guano diy soil. I’ve been composting it 4 5 6 years. And then covered with paper then wood chips.

Making a fungal wood chip Garden with awesome soil underneath it

5 Likes

Well all the the 1st crop is now showing flowering signs.
Sage n sour, Blueberry cookies, Somango, Mango hp, Silver haze2, Triple threat silver haze, Dragon blood hp, and 2 unknown plants are all showing buds. 2 plants OG Fire and Hawaii Maui Waui are just now showing pre flowering and in the next day or so will be buding.

6 Likes

So do mix a quart of 34% h2o2 with 3 quarts of water or do you make 3% quarts out of the 34% and mix that?

Interesting and def gonna give it a try.
Bud rot is the worst.

August Dunning had some research into UV blue lights at late flower.
(And he worked for NASA. These guys probably know each other.)
Kill box that line, He worked for JPL and The Naval Air Warfare Center, NAWC.
Doh! Something every spaceman should know.

3 Likes

Hey man… No I dilute the 34% hydrogen peroxide… 34% diluted down to 3%…So 1 1/4 cup of 34% to 3 qts of water. …
I focus on the infrared side not the UVB side. I have 10K lights that I use for the UV side that sufficient. I’m looking for stretch. The UVB side keeps the plants squatty but it doesn’t give you much vegetation growth. The 730 to 780 nm Side will give you more veg growth and stretch. Thats what I want in my grow.
I get my short and squatty by pulling the plant over and training techniques like LST / EST super cropping tying the ground. I get a can a much bigger crop than adding more UVB.
Study far red The Forgotten photon Apogee Industries Dr Bruce Bugbee Utah State University. It is the latest technical information in lighting and cannabis.

4 Likes

Thinning and trimming the girls.

I’ve neglected my trimming and manicuring duties this last week. Monday I had three wisdom teeth pulled out and I really haven’t felt like doing a whole lot anything and still really don’t but it has to be done.
The one wisdom tooth took a full 30 minutes to get out. As it was wrapped around my jaw bone and to be cut away… Ugh…

Now 2 weeks into flowering. I started trimming and re manipulating the plant as some of them have pulled up they’re tie downs and are no longer held down tightly. Sometimes I underestimate the strength of these plants and their willingness to pull themselves towards the Sun.

I started with the sage and sour before I took pictures early in the morning.

Sage n sour.

the sage n sour is now opened up underneath the canopy now allowing good airflow. This will help stop with any type of fungus that may try to take hold.

The rest of the crop before trimming and remanipulating at 2 week’s into flowering.

5 Likes

Not much room left over after thinning and trimming also some
re-manipulating of the girls.

Its now 2 day’s after trimming and 2 weeks n 3 day’s into flowering. The Dragon blood hp is almost to the roof of the cage. The og fire has grown-up bigger than I had thought she would.

The daily tea was slowed down to a stop do to all the rain we’ve had here. One storm filled all 460 gallons of rain water collection system… then there was 2 more stroms after that. Plenty of water.

Pics after trimming and
re-manipulating.

organic tea foliar spraying starts up again first thing in the morning as I’m brewing a batch of Boogie Brew enhanced with C90 rare trace minerals and extra worm castings tea

5 Likes

The flowering is in full swing. All plants responding to the light depth. The blueberry cookies the dragon blood HP silver haze and Triple Threat Silver Haze are all showing large amounts of bud sign.
All the plants are showing good bud sign sage and sour two unknowns mango HP OG fire White Widow Hawaiian Maui waui and Chem Barry D. I expect to harvest the first crop within the next 6 weeks.

thanks for stopping by

5 Likes