Looking for advice/recommendations for breeding a 25 year old cut of DJ’sFlo

Hello breeders I have had this Flo cut going since 97 and have only made seeds twice with her. Once was crossed with Jack the Ripper which turned out decent but nothing special. Only made a handful of seeds and none left. Recently made a handful crossed with White widow. These crosses I do like. I popped two this past winter and both wound up girls. One has the red stem the other doesn’t but they both smell of sour grapes. One has a slight more bite to it. Currently have all three growing outdoors and copies inside. I currently have a bunch of pollen from a skunk Hawaiian strain from one of OG’s sponsers AMS that I will be using shortly. I recently picked up some of @JohnnyPotseed blue cookie crosses and @anon58740919 grew out some purple badlands (temple Flo x Stardawg. I have been growing since the 90’s but really haven’t done much breeding. Been a clone only sort of grower. Help a brother out with some thoughts. Peace OG the world

38 Likes

Flo

29 Likes

Flo A

24 Likes

Flo B

25 Likes

JBC has DJ’s Temple Flo in stock right now, limited to 101 packs… but their like $200 a pack, you might find a male in there though. I think they have Flo f5 as well, like $160 a pack.

4 Likes

Thanks I will check into it

1 Like

Self A to B too see what traits pop up between the two Girls.

Pz

11 Likes

A buddy tried his new berry last year and was very disappointed. I also read on here many people have complained about his recent gear. 200 is a bit to spend and hard to believe he kept that male alive all these years.

7 Likes

I do have about 20 more seeds left. Excuse my ignorance but what would be the benefit of selfing vs hunting for a good male from same batch of seeds.

3 Likes

I agree 100% with you on all points…. I ran the Blueberry a little bit ago and it was ok….but not great or anything, I found better from other breeders.

5 Likes

That Flo is almost a landrace as far as todays standards go. I will keep her forever most likely. Definitely leaning on bringing in new genes to her. If someone grew out the temple Flo and was impressed I would go for it. But by the time that happens probably be sold out. She is worth spending the money on though. Thanks for engaging

2 Likes

You got 2 females you like and combining them will bring out underlaying traits. So you can see the genetic make up of the two Girls! Ive done it with all my favorite plants i kept for years. Helped me to find new recombination that was exciting :blush:

Pz :v:t2:

13 Likes

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

2 Likes

Purple badlands is absolutely :fire: I would highly recommend to anyone :100: I got a load of seed in a trade for a light a while ago. (Off a guy I met on a forum that turned out lived like 4 miles away. If I could grow any out of those again. It would be purple badlands or hibernate by GPS. And an original goji OG.

Hit that Flo with something chemmy and send me the progeny to test for you brother

8 Likes

I always thought flo would be a great match with more wild landrace sativas - it would probably help tame them while still maintaining a sativa dominant high. Since its got a short flower time and such, but still sat dominant high!

5 Likes

I’d take her to something that also has old dj blueberry work in it. Should give you beans with more blueberry/flo traits if thats what youre going for. Like take it to sunshine Daydream, or that temple Flo. Blue Magoo Bx2 or 3. Something else like that ^^

8 Likes

My experience with DJ seeds is you usually need to buy a couple packs to find something special, like pretty much every breeder out there. I didn’t notice much difference in quality between the seeds I bought in the early 2000’s vs cuts that have been shared with me after the mid 2000’s when he supposedly lost his parent stock, seems more like an internet exaggeration about how good his stock use to be vs what it is now.

If you’re goal is to preserve the genetics in your Flo cuts I’d look at back crossing them and selfing them to make seeds. Introducing new genetics may create something interesting but will inevitably move it away from the genepool that created those plants. Taking males from the white widow cross and using a mix of their pollen to hit the females will increase the percent of Flo genes over the generations while selecting out the WW contributions. That would be my first route to try and preverse those plants in seed form, between creating a BX and selfed lines of each and then intercrossing them you can mitigate inbreeding depression while increasing the expression of the Flo genes specifically.

9 Likes

I have a few chemdog seeds that were crossed with the same white widow male as the FloA and B and a bunch of chemdog x chocolate mimosa beans. That purple badlands sounds sweet though. Decisions decisions. Thank you

4 Likes

Yeah mine finishes in about 50 days without c02. I have grown some land races way back but most have such long flowering times. I personally like things that finish in less than 60 days. But I think your on to something. With the Flo it’s all about that smell and high. Thanks for the brain food.

3 Likes

That temple Flo has my gears spinning

3 Likes