Lophophora's spare bathroom

If that is fermented without sterilization, be careful of methanol production. It’s hard to poison yourself, but not impossible.

1 Like

I added a bit of anti-freeze for just the right kick, but I’m having second thoughts now…

That’s interesting, I was not aware that this was even a possibility. I was more or less trying to follow the bulk of the documentation on KNF scattered across the internet except where most resources guide you through production by the gallon, I tried to scale the recipe down to ~50mL.

My next course of action will be reading about fermentation with sterilization. :pray:

1 Like

lol to make human consumable alcohol… which is also a class 1 carcinogen, you heat sterilize the material first then add yeast. Any pectin left in there can convert to methanol. Yeast itself is incapable of generating significant methanol traces, but other micro organisms can. You’re safe as long as you don’t drink your KNF :wink:

1 Like

Yes its typically high pectin content mashes that will produce more methanol in the fermentation, though your not gonna get to any levels that would truly harm you and you’ll be poisoning yourself with the ethanol first. Though there is a reason why Wines will give worse hangovers as they do contain a higher methanol content than say beer or a distilled spirit.

Methanol is more dangerous in Distilled spirits if doing it yourself, though tossing the first bit that comes out of your still takes care of that as methanol turns to vapor before ethanol does and doing so in the end you will have a “cleaner” product methanol wise compared to say any wine or beer.

Also alot of things are fermented with natural yeasts that are present on say whatever fruit or in your air your using so sterilizing isn’t actually necessary depending, but thats a rabbit hole.

4 Likes

What a wuss. “My poison needs a sweetener” :roll_eyes:

1 Like

A Man Divided

For those just getting acquainted I am presently at the half-way point of flowering some Black Snow as crossed and provided by @anonymous4289.

Although these activities are taking place almost entirely in the spare bathroom after which this thread gets its namesake, I have been trying to keep most of my related posting in the official Black Snow Grow Show thread.

I don’t have enough bawdy limericks to keep everybody entertained for much longer so what is one to do in the interim? More specifically what am I to do? I’m not going to be able to get by on my looks or charms.

So as to keep the Black Snow thread on topic I will answer the spare bathroom related questions here.

One of my biggest challenges aside from the actual gardening part is making effective use of my space. Right next to that is the challenge of acquiring materials. Alas all you see is all pretty much all I have to work with.

My first instinct was to tear the fan apart and noodle with the circuitry. The electronic controls on the fan are less than ideal as the unit will not power on automatically after a power loss, but maybe you can see an easy solution if I show you what I’m working with.

As I am open to suggestion and this idea carries less risk of fire or electrical shock, I present you…

The grand tour!

On the right is the combination bathroom vanity and workbench, and on the left is my gardening chair with luxury bidet. The wire shelf across the sink makes a well-lit work area for admiring, pruning, potting, and trimming while the gardening chair is a great place to sit while I water the plants. Finally the dehumidifier sits next to the tub because the hot air helps keep the space warm, and also because the drain hose is really short.

You may have also noticed the dual shower rails across the ceiling. The shower and panda poly curtains are there to keep the space bright, cozy, and warm while potentially increasing the effectiveness of my extraction fan. The black shower curtain is there to block all light from entering or escaping, and hopefully to serve as a makeshift lung room to help keep my environmental conditions more stable.

100% Effective!

All of this helps me keep that bathroom a balmy 18° C through the colder months, but maybe the effectiveness of this setup is really dependent on the season.

Do you think the poly lined shower curtains are really doing me any favours, or would the shower be best left open with the fan external to the space? Perhaps none of the above?

That pretty much concludes the tour. It’s like looking into another world. My own family have never even laid eyes upon the spare bathroom, so I hope you had a fun time.

Another world?

Another world you say? Well I suppose we have time.

I know of a secret place away from prying eyes, hidden from the world, unnoticed in a lonely basement. This square metre is where the magic happens.

I hope you’re curious because I’m plenty excited.

Alright at first glance it’s kind of dirty and dank, but still magical. And dank.

After an easy start things have really gone into overdrive. Have look at these comparison photos taken 18 days apart.

This girl has since more than doubled in size even after I supercropped her on March 24th, now rivaled in height only by the celery stalk growing in the back of the pot. If she smokes as good as she smells I’ll truly be blessed.

I have to give the celery more credit as well, it was looking kind of depressed in the before picture.

The clover tastes like cucumber, but it’s not my first choice. The seed sprouts are supposed to be very nutritious but I have yet to attempt to prepare or eat any.

I wish all of my plants would double in size so readily. If only I could take credit for this phenomenal growth. It might have been that 2mL of fermented plant juice I watered into the soil last month, or possibly the couple tablespoons of malted barley powder. Maybe even that discarded half of an avocado.

It could be that the plant has fully come to the realization that it’s knee-deep in the dead, struggling to escape from a pot of rotting tissue while worms nibble at it’s toes.

I figure it’s the kitchen scraps.

Now that I think about it, I haven’t seen any fungus gnats in here for a while. It’s a lot tougher to keep them at bay in the bathroom where I think they can breed in the drain.

The malted barley powder always brings out the fuzz. Not sure what it is exactly but the plants seem to like it.

These ones might not look like they like it, but they were sad looking when I put them into the pots. I’ll see how they look next week.

It’s hard to take a good picture of fuzz

This is probably nothing new if you’ve taken the time to visit @Rouge’s Stacked pots of joy topic. While I admire his work and philosophy, I’m not about to let him take all the glory for negligent gardening.

13 Likes

feel free to post in the grow show if you’d like. whichever you prefer. :+1:

3 Likes

Hard at work in the lab

Whipping up a fresh batch of LABS this week and it’s coming along nicely, I think… Won’t get any better looking from here but with any luck I’ll be rich with bacteria by next week.

It’s about time to mix up with a bit of milk at any rate.

My first attempt at making labs just turned to mold on me. It looks as though I was too thorough in rinsing the rice but I’ll never truly know. Although these pictures were taken five days apart the mold started by the second day, I just didn’t get around to dumping and cleaning the jar until the time that I took the second picture.

My first successful attempt and second batch of LABS was a complete success. I forget why exactly I decided I needed to make LABS, but I ended up using it like crazy for a week straight for every gardening and household need imaginable.

Ultimately I did not want to field such questions as “What is this?” or “What is this doing in the fridge?” so it’s final job was cleaning all of the drains. For being made with curdled milk it’s surprising what little smell LABS has. The fact that it can defeat other smells seems like a super power.

I was neither daring nor curious enough to eat the curd. It’s supposed to be very good for you, but so is not smoking. Soft cheese has never been my thing either but it worked great on the drains.

At 1:1000 dilution even a little jar will go a long way. Provided this batch turns out properly it’s my intention to mix it with some sugar and store for a longer term in the fridge… Right after I kick-start all of my soils, clean all of the drains, and feed that curd to the worms in my compost bin.

Speaking of worms…

Along with this afternoon’s rain came some worms from the yard. There’s nothing quite like prowling through the yard with a spoon to abduct some worms. Now it really feels like Spring has arrived.

I snapped a couple of photos in the dark while I was resettling the newest worm-napping victims. The Trizzler F2 is really coming along. While original projection on the calendar had this girl finishing up by the 26th April, I’m not so sure this will be the reality but what do I know? A lot can change in three weeks, I’m just enjoying the ride.

That would be sweet though, because I can’t wait to get a taste of these buds.

Final friday follow-up

These cuttings are starting to look less forgotten about. Not any better, but less forgotten. Judging by these pictures I might have to refill the reservoirs this evening as well.

That’s it for now, have a good evening!

15 Likes

Today is the day

Even marked it on the calendar, see?

Screenshot_20220426-111247_Calendar_1

Sadly writing arbitrary dates in the calendar doesn’t make the world bend to my whims.

At the 13 week mark the Trizzler F2 is looking like she needs a little more time. As much as I’m excited to taste this delicious smelling reefer, I don’t want to rush perfection.

Also I have no idea how long celery takes to grow, but I’m hoping some of those stalks protruding in the back will be ready to eat soon. Some home made celery would be perfect with home made soup. I just hope it doesn’t taste a bit cellar-y having been grown in a basement.

Still got time but the heir to the pot is being baptized right now. Hoping to keep the living soil momentum going the next seedling is going to grow up with a rich bed of trizzler mulch.

ezgif.com-gif-maker

Thank you to @Oldtimerunderground for the baptism gif

What of the titular bathroom?

The Black Snow have been joined by a pair of Skynet that are just thrilled to meet the bathroom lights.

The toughest part of this grow is just accepting that the plants for the most part don’t need me, and the best thing I can do is leave them alone.

Not to be anti-climactic but there should be some great bud photos a month from now.

15 Likes

Booooooo!

Yes. Mine just tell when they need to be fed.

Looking good.

2 Likes

@lophophora.ca Awesome brother!! Beautiful plants and buds!!!

2 Likes

Awesome update Loph!! :star_struck:

That Trizzler is looking fantastic :ok_hand:

How are the trichs lookin? Seems like she’ll be ready any day now.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the spare bathroom this packed with awesomeness!!

I can’t wait to see them :grinning: hopefully you throw in some nice close ups with the microscope too :grin:

I want to say more but gotta run and throw my kids on the bus lol.

2 Likes

:thinking: To me, that’s the easiest part. The hardest part is getting in there and watering them, especially when they start chuggin like a camel fresh out the Sahara. If I had mine in the spare bathroom I would’ve been using that showerhead every time :laughing:
200w

4 Likes

What do you think I’ve been doing? I don’t have any of these fancy gardening supplies like watering cans. I just reach in and turn on the cold.

The driver is IP68 rated and connects right to a GFCI. I get about a 10mA jolt before the whole thing trips and the lights turn off. 10-15 minutes later I hit the reset on the socket and we are back in business.

:skull_and_crossbones: WARNING: Not being sincere :skull_and_crossbones:

Who likes short shorts?

Big thank you to @Oldtimerunderground for upgrading my digital imaging capabilities. Without further ado, let’s get some closeup trizzler shots!

Edit- Grid view not working with my images this morning…

vlcsnap-2022-04-29-07h11m53s034

vlcsnap-2022-04-29-07h13m49s806

vlcsnap-2022-04-29-07h16m37s594

vlcsnap-2022-04-29-07h17m16s269

vlcsnap-2022-04-29-07h19m02s922

vlcsnap-2022-04-29-07h21m09s752

What irony I was unable to get any of my shots in focus this morning…

I meant to take some meaningful microscope shots sooner but instead I got baked and spend the night looking at my hands.

17 Likes

Phenomenal use of a spare bathroom mate, and huge props for the light build! :clap: that’s sensational :ok_hand: I wish I could understand and do stuff like that, I’m always blown away by what you guys can do. Peace brother

3 Likes

Your bathroom has much more going on than my bathroom. I tried installing strobe lights to jazz the place up but then I dance so much I forget to go, which would be ok but I just repeat that process all day long. The dr says my digestive track could be in a medical journal!

5 Likes

They still need 2 weeks.

Pics look great.

3 Likes

I spent the night looking at my hands too
ezgif.com-gif-maker
Damn carpal tunnel lol, I hate moving. My hands and body are feelin too weak, I think to recover I’m gonna need 2 weeks :joy:

5 Likes

It’s trizzler time!

I want to preface this post with a big thank you to @Mr.Sparkle.

Do these buds ever smell delicious. It’s not the biggest haul but it sure smells that way. As I was washing the buds in the sink my wife walked into the kitchen, had one look and said “That explains the odour”. Didn’t say another word for the rest of the night. Win win!

Drying after washing always comes with reservations. Given the steady flux in environmental conditions I figure a good fan dry will prevent any plant material from succumbing to molds or mildews. I found that the summer and winter harvests have been my best for environmentals as either the furnace or AC are cranked all season reducing the RH% to nosebleed levels eight months of the year.

Now what?

Check out this big worm. Seems like any time I chop something or poke around at the upper layer of the pot the worms come out to investigate.

I also just noticed the clover sprouts popping up through an old avocado rind. I have read many accounts of avocados being used to promote worm reproduction but I have no idea if you’re supposed to give them the rind as well.

Anything new?

Ever seen one of these? I haven’t. Alright well actually it’s been in my basement a month but I finally took a minute to really examine.

I’m not sure if or how much bud one would need to process to make something like this worth while. The reviews I have read of trim bowls have been polarized and none of the reviews seem to answer at what point is such a contraption worth while.

For beating up an ounce or two it seems like more effort than value. If I were growing 50lbs of outdoor buds in grand fashion perhaps the value in such a device would become apparent.

Which way to the bathroom?

First door on the left but I’ve got to warn you, it’s a little crowded.

As it turns out the Skynet are insatiable beasts. I’ve had to bend a dozen branches already and by the look of it a dozen more yet.

I took a picture this moment, its twice as overgrown as yesterday. What a mess.

By the time I pull the Black Snow from the shower, the skynets will have taken over completely.

Those are the Black Snow lurking in the shadows still going strong- So strong they killed my carbon filter. Like trying to open a bag of chips in a crowded movie theatre, there’s no hiding it now.

Screenshot_20220509-223154_Calendar_1

Yeah, yeah… Two more weeks.

18 Likes

savage!

have you given any thought to adding side-lighting? very underrated IME

9 Likes