Micro Grow Off Ideas!

@99PerCent you ordered a heat gun yet? Lol

Day 6 on the mini, have to find some new wick material as the current ones are starting to rot slightly.

1 Like

Why not the same felt you use for your pots?

it doesnā€™t wick , it can pass water easily, just doesnā€™t facilitate in transporting it, i need to look into and try some polyethylene or Kevlar options,

1 Like

Try using fiberglass tiki torch wicks, get them at most hardware stores and they work great!!! And they are cheap

1 Like

So I was playing around today, and I did a little math with the SolStrips. They will fit almost perfectly in the cab vertically. I have a 70-90 volt, 580-630 mA driver from my old blurple LEDs. So if my math is correct, I can run the three strips I have in series for a total of 72 volts at 630 mA thatā€™s about 45 watts. @Baudelaire, you see anything wrong with using them this way?

In theory, it would give me a bigger canopy (1.5x1 vs 1x1). It would also have more points of light, and are probably way more efficient than the Vero 13s. But the baking sheet is slightly too big, so some type of modification will be necessary.

Option B is the Vero 13s hung horizontally. This one seems like it will have better air flow. I gain an extra 6 inches of vertical space, but loose some canopy area. The fixture fits the space nicely. The light isnā€™t as evenly spread as the SolStrips either.

Decisions, decisions. Iā€™m kind of leaning toward the SolStrips just to check them out. I know what I can do with the Veros. :thinking: I havenā€™t done much more work on the cab except sanding. I think Iā€™m going to paint it instead of staining it. Mostly because of humidity issues, and partially because I donā€™t have any stain laying around (though I can probably get some for free). Thoughts?

4 Likes

is it possible to hang the veros horizontally on the other side? iā€™d probably opt for both underdriven but i tend to like overkill

I wouldnt open blast bad for the enviroment an unsafe there sir

So update on my cab.

• I got the door clamps installed.
  • Caulked the interior of the cab.
  • Light and itā€™s cooling fan is installed.
  • Got the exhaust portion of the ventilation taken care of. (Light and Exhaust fans will be wired together so I only have to run one 12v power supply)

Things left to do

• Wire Management
  • Decide on a growing method. (I might do a Micro-PPK setup)
  • Instal Passive Intakes
1 Like

Go verticalā€¦ Oh yeah :+1:

1 Like

i really should get some materials to do a little build, seems like a fun little project. i have some plywood i think actually maybe i should see what i have and what i can do. i also have a little cupboard thing i could repurpose. iā€™ll go take a picture.

Iā€™ll be starting my build out soon. The box may not look pretty, but my lady will :wink:

hereā€™s what iā€™m thinking of using - itā€™s 19.5" deep, 26.5" wide and 22" tall (not including the drawer, removing it would add 6 inches of height) iā€™d like to use this maybe for propagation and small autoflowers or possible early veg.

iā€™m sure you guys would have some excellent suggestions, what do you think i could do with this?

3 Likes

The bucket is getting there, just need to build the watering system which iā€™ll make as a standalone this time, a carbon filter and light proof the lid and its good to go.

Just cause im using two relays one for 12vdc side light and one for the 120vac lid lights it gave me an idea that first and last 10-15mins of the day iā€™ll just trigger the side lights to be on as a gentler transition from dark.

And its running at 57w around 2 of that being fan and controls and such, so 55w of overkill for 0.55 sqft :sunglasses:.

Need to start grow journal on here but have a question for those here.

Would you rather see separate threads for each space/grow with just dedicated content to each, or on all encompassing one for 2018 that would get more updates and cover all the spaces ?

Iā€™ve been contemplating the later for simplicity and to condense it.

5 Likes

Iā€™m personally of the opinion that one large thread would be easier to keep up with. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Head over to your local HomeDepot and pick up 3 boxes of these, unless just propagating you will only probably need about half the amount.

Id probably go 2 boxes soft whites and 1 of the day lights

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.60w-daylight-5000k-a19-led-light-bulb-4-pack.1000858667.html

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.60w-soft-white-2700k-a19-led-light-bulb-4-pack.1000858665.html

and 12 of these

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.keyless-lamp-holder-white.1000107105.html

Some wire, a couple pc fans or a fan of choice and your set, apart from light proofing and ventilation work.

About 75 for 100w of lights plus for a timer and paint/foil and whatever else, and just pop the domes off the bulbs and you will be good, youā€™ll have to notch the keyless sockets for the wire to go sideways out of the base but thats easy to do.

Simplicity is sometimes best, its what id do if i was running a bigger space, and have used those keyless sockets in the past with cflā€™s.

i have some of these lights, iā€™m not sure if i can take the plastic off or where the diode is located in it, i think maybe in the very center? but it only lights up around the outside perimeter

Yeah those ones you canā€™t remove in the same fashion, those have the leds on the outer perimeter like you mentioned, you could still use those but they will be less efficient as the light going sideways, where as those other bulbs will just be pointing down

yeah i just had a couple of these kicking around the house so iā€™m using one in my new micro grow space i made for my two males.

3 Likes

well thats cheap and easy wats the light ?