Mr. President, Moscow is calling

Hey folk, an old generation (86 years) Russian from the city of Moscow that emigrated to the US about 8 years ago has been making inquires and wants to give 'er a try. She’s never had anything when growing up. Doesn’t speak a lick of English and we pretty much just sign to each other.

Thinking about making some edibles from trim/bud that typically ranges around the 20 to 24% mark for total cannabinoids. I’ve haven’t really made edibles myself and don’t want to overwhelm her right off the bat. I am seeking some recipes that would be on the lighter side of the potency scale. Brownies / cake / soft / et al.

Advice / recipes? Thanks.

16 Likes

Tincture may be the way to go. It’s easy to titrate small doses and usually has an effect and duration closer to that of smoking.

16 Likes

I have recipes handy for cookies & banana bread; they use RSO to form a tincture with the cooking oil because I extract RSO rather than bubble hash like most around here, but they should work regardless. The cookies recipe makes ~55-60 cookies, spooned out with a tablespoon, and the banana bread is for one loaf (anywhere from 10-40 servings depending on how you cut the pieces). Not sure if you’re looking to make that much, but I’ll cut and paste 'em and you can see what you can make of them.

cookies:
4.5 cups flour
1/2 cup cinnamon
1.5 cups brown sugar
1.5 cups white sugar
1 tbsp baking soda
1 tbsp corn starch
2 tsp salt
1.5 cups oil
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp almond extract
RSO to desired potency
4 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup milk
6 eggs
2 cups chocolate/butterscotch chips
mix w/ 2 tbsp lecithin, let cool in fridge for 30 min, bake 15min@350 or 75@350 for loaf

eggless banana bread:
mashed bananas (450g)
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp oil/melted butter
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp buttermilk (milk + 1tsp vinegar)
1 tbsp vanilla extract + 1/2 tbsp orange extract
RSO to desired potency
1.5 cups brown sugar
mix
1/4 cup cinnamon
1 tbsp baking soda
1 tbsp corn starch
3 cups flour
gently fold batter w/ 1 tbsp lecithin, bake 75min@350 in greased pan

5 Likes

Ok, thanks. This makes sense, seems a tincture, first, is a good way to go. And, it has flexibility in use and dosing.

Oh yeah. Banana bread, this is starting to get interesting. My wife might be into that, too. Thanks for sharing the recipes.

Follow-on question. How much of a creeper is consumption typically? Half hour / hour to peak?

7 Likes

I make simple sugar cookies. About 8g per half cup of butter. I decarb sous vide. Start with a half a cookie.

Could be as long as an hour and a half

3 Likes

Yes about 20-30 minutes for tincture depending on how long it’s held in the mouth.

4 Likes

Echoing a bit here, but my experience is about an hour to an hour and a half as well. 30 minutes is short, for edibles at least. The edibles creep a bit, some people can in fact start to feel it after a half hour but for me it’s usually closer to an hour, an hour and a half if on a full stomach.

4 Likes

Was thinking about that, just happen to have a sous vide set-up. Might try that as modification on Reiko’s method, if that’s sensible, to build a tincture. Seems less likely that I’ll blow something up. Have to look at the charts.

Good to know, thanks. Will be hand holding this. 86 years old!

3 Likes

Everyone is different, especially in the edible world!
Whatever the choice is…go low and slow!!!
Biggest turn off for new people to edibles is getting way too high (especially if they are not used to being high). Its better for them not to feel a damn thing there first time in my opinion. Then they can try again at a higher dose. They might feel discouraged at first but better then making them uncomfortable.

9 Likes

But edibles are very effective in many medicinal ways! Especially when you get the doses right.

4 Likes

Sous Vide, googling found this chart from CW Analytical:

A+Deep+Dive+into+Decarb-+Edibles+Underwater.pdf (336.2 KB)

9 Likes

I concur with above. Like good BBQ, low and slow is the key. I have seen folks eat too much and it can be problematic.

5 Likes

My Grandfather was taking RSO direct out of the syringe and he was 94! War vet, diagnosed with skin cancer, he had a hell of a great year fighting it “au natural”! :rofl:

6 Likes

Awesome. Good man!

Sorry about the cancer.

2 Likes

I do 212 and usually stop about 40 mins

3 Likes

I just wanted to say this is so very wholesome.

2 Likes

Digging through the stock. Perfect, this should do:

Following Reiko’s technique above, into the freezer she goes.

2 Likes

Concentrates are way easier to dose correctly. I like to use dry ice hash.

Some charts to guide your decarb:

Two different ways of looking at it, but they’re similar. 250F for a half hour is usually what I do.

I assume dry ice hash is about 1/3rd THC by mass. 3 grams * 0.33 grams THC / gram = 1 gram THC. Put this into 100 edibles for 10mg edibles, or into 50 for 20mg.

Very rough numbers of course, but it comes pretty close. You won’t green out on it.

6 Likes

I used to do some CBD in oil under the tongue and I could feel it working in a manner of minutes. Also having some CBD with the THC would probably be a good thing for her.

5 Likes

Indeed. I would suggest adding CBD into whatever you give/make her if possible.

5 Likes