Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc šŸ„ (Part 1)

Lol I made a stop there too, I know what ya mean. I almost got Liberty caps but they all say itā€™s impossible and only one person did it indoors

2 Likes

Well, posted this in my grow report, but belongs here!

ā€¦Finally, down at the elephant shit pileā€¦you donā€™t always get what you want! But if you try sometimesā€¦you still find beauty! (Itā€™s early yet, rains are a comminā€™)!

Iā€™m down there before the Sun hits the horizon and still 80% of the mushrooms have ā€˜meltedā€™. No signs of the cubes yet, but loads of others. Thatā€™s where all that fussin around inside comes out way ahead of ā€˜Naturalā€™ grows - you get what you want the first (or second!) time! :crazy_face:

10 Likes

My current tub is side pin city. Iā€™ll get pics later, but when I was getting it out of the closet to put it into fruiting conditions I put my hand underneath, it pushed up and broke the cake and I think that might have shocked the mycelium network so itā€™s pushing pins away from the trauma. About to break it all up into four sections and stand them on their sides so I donā€™t have clumps of fucked up shrooms.

5 Likes

Day by day, more and more poppinā€™ on the poop piles!

Had 2 big rice sacks of rice hulls that I donā€™t trust to be ā€˜mite-freeā€™ for my mix so, into the compost pile they goā€¦wondering how & what the fungi will do?

14 Likes

I know almost nothing about mushrooms but this one looks a lot like Panaeolus cyanescens.

I found this why where am I going to buy my CL from p. cubencis albino has this variety and on the website it says that it only works in manure or earthworm humus.

2 Likes

Hi @Shanti-ri Iā€™m used to finding a fair amount of Copelandia cyanescens around this area, but usually on horse or cow dungā€¦thereā€™s plenty of both in the compost lasagna under the elephant shit, but those appear to be coming directly out of the elephant dung. I have to see if the ā€œPanaeolus/Copelandiaā€ thing is just a nomenclature ā€˜thingā€™ or if there are two different Genusā€¦and if so - which I have! Doing a bunch of early morning seed checking so havenā€™t been down to see whatā€™s popped this morning. Iā€™m also watching for P. samuiensis, the publication type-location of which is about a kilometer down the road from here. Composting is such fun! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

My order arrived yesterdayā€¦just opened her up.
Mini-kit will be prepped tomorrow. The 1 pound live mycelium looks really good!!

Process so farā€¦
-rinsed rye grains
-let sit in water for about 14 hours
-put into pot and boiled like Satanā€™s teapot for just under 10 mins
-strained and dumped onto large Bach towel so I could kind of flip the grains back and forth for towel to absorb while still steaming
-waited 30 mins to cool
-filled 750ml jars about 2/3 full
-polyfil lids (RIP Mr. Froggy, thanks for your stuffing)
-tinfoil on top
-into pressure cooker for 160 mins (electric tfalā€¦hope it works :crossed_fingers:)

Thatā€™s where weā€™re at now.

Mini-kit

1 pound live mycelium closeup

Penis envyā€¦yussssss

Editā€¦
Just turned on my cloning mat and put everything on a cookie rackā€¦should stay warm, but not too warm.

10 Likes

A second flush giant phobos

A couple more tubs of mutants

15 Likes

If you want the absolute best spores you go to Philly golden teachers. His playing cards come with syringe whatever photo of n the card. By FAR the most packed full syringes Iā€™ve ever seen trust me you want to go through Philly golden teacher.

3 Likes

Pgtmycology.com he also has a reddit phill golden teacher

1 Like

Love the wavy tops

2 Likes

Those mutant tubs look crazy!!

3 Likes

This one is growing completely upside down, itā€™s attached to the substrate by the cap :rofl:

Others remind me of oyster mushrooms

Oh, Iā€™m loving these that grow properly, also theyā€™re either sporeless or just clear spores (true albinos) so even if I let them mature and open fully, thereā€™s not a mess to be seen :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I cloned this one, but I did it half assed :crazy_face:. I tore it open in open air, took a needle biopsy and squirted it onto no pour agar through a injection port

10 Likes

Wow my mini kit did not look like that. I got fucked

1 Like

Are you in Canada? I donā€™t have enough clout on shroomery or myco stuff to trade with. Canadian mushroom vendors seem pretty good, once I get a colle tion going, would be interested in trading some stuff?

Do you think I could take all the spawn I recieved and mix it 1:1 with coir and do the ā€œbodā€™s easy as eff shoebox tekā€? Rather than dicking around with casing and all this. Bod puts his grain spawn mixed with coir straight into growing conditionsā€¦thoughts on this?

Are you in Canada? If not, the grain bag may not have been fully colonize yet. But Iā€™m no expertā€¦just wondering.

4 Likes

Iā€™m in US. Yea, do the shoebox, mix 1:1 pack it down and level, then do about 2-3cm of just substrate to cover that mix. Everything Iā€™ve read says PE should get a thick casing layer to prevent blobs. Iā€™ve been putting them straight to fruiting/growing conditions, unless I have too many boxes then Iā€™ll stagger them so I donā€™t have too much to harvest and dry at once.

4 Likes

PE cultures can be fruited without a casing layer but they have a tendency to blob and seem to do better with a thick casing layer
Next time round try out Melmac(original homestead PE)
Zero blobs and no casing required

3 Likes

Yup Iā€™m in Canada it was supposed to be fully colonized when it arrived.
Iā€™m not overly concerned about the kit, I have tidal wave 2 in a grain bag now and I made a couple more orders from myco and sporeslab to get some genetic variety.

3 Likes

Would a 100w Mars light be too much for a couple shoeboxes? About 3 feet away?

2 Likes

Sure that would work, but I donā€™t even light mine, just ambient light is enough. Iā€™ve seen them grow more towards the air flow than the light that spills over from my veg tent.

3 Likes