Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1)

There’s a local lab that sells the dishes with agar, but which agar is best for isolating healthy mycelium?
10x 100mm agar dishes

2 Likes

I have APE, Jedi mind fuck, tidal wave 2 and tidal wave enigma. Blue meanie, cream lex Luther and blue avians will be showing up this week.
I’m new to this so as long as I don’t mess anything up there should be lots to pass back and forth :grin:

4 Likes

Use your money wisely.
If you going to do this hobby properly - find&invest in a proper new//second hand sterilizer //pressure cooker that can cook to at least 15psi (unless you already own one)
Armed with that and a little knowledge you can do everything in this hobby easily by youself & at a very low cost.
Also half of the fun is DIY

5 Likes

Gonna order some lizard king and another

Mycodotca has a $50 giveaway too…
https://www.instagram.com/p/CiYCXZZLpAp/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

2 Likes

If your buying agar plates, stick with 90-100mm with MEA (malt extract) or PDA (potato dextros). MEA is going to be clear while PDA is usually cloudy or opaque. Peptone or yeast added to the nutrients will make growth much faster, both for contamination and mycelium, avoid it when starting spores.

Otherwise, no pour agar is easy to make but hard to see through clearly. If you have a SAB or hood set up, learn pour your own!

Adding on:
I wanted to try a novelty grow, or just something cute. I put the spawn mix into the mini terra-cotta pot and stuck it on a bed of coir as a moisture reserve. Well, a random seedling sprouted from the pot, but died before the mushies popped up in the “wrong” place.

10 Likes

Still harvesting box after box of phobos, all while the next grain bag is way past due to be spawned to bulk, and they’re fruiting in the sealed bag :sweat_smile: (didn’t take pic of that though). I really love the way this variety looks. The way the substrate is coming up in clumps as I picked these, makes me think these are just about done producing.

Prob the last couple Koh Samui from the single pint I spawned, these felt hollow and a bit soft.

10 Likes

Yobro! Beauties!!! Too funny, after seeing how many people do such a good job with spores here, just this morning I had to do a total house search as I knew I made a batch of spore prints of Koh Samui Copelandia cyanescens and put them ‘away’ somewhere around here! Took a few hours but I finally found them!

Next time I’ll try to remember where I put them! These look like ancient artifacts! :rofl:
Guess I’ll dust 'em over the compost pile and see if anything develops. Monsoon season is approaching!

6 Likes

@Shanti-ri (And anybody else that’s interested!) You’re correct! Catching up on some reading here, I find that what I’ve always called Copelandia cyanescens is now listed as a synonym of Panaeolus cyanescens! There’s a wikipedia page on it with pretty good pictures. This is a species that I did micro-dosing (chopped up in honey) of across a few different 6-month periods. I always thought I liked it for it’s gentleness…now I read this;

" Laussmann & Sigrid Meier-Giebing (2010) reported the presence of psilocybin at 2.5% and psilocin at 1.194% average from 25 samples seized by German customs that were shipments from commercial growers (making modern commercially cultivated strains of this species the most potent hallucinogenic mushrooms ever described in reputable published research). Other researchers have documented a significant presence of serotonin and urea in this species as well as the presence of baeocystin which may also be psychoactive."

Hmmm! No wonder I’ve always liked it! Gonna have to look into that baeocystin!
(Note:" Baeocystin is a zwitterionic alkaloid and analog of psilocybin.")

Zwitterionic” huh? Sounds like a new strain of ganja from LA :rofl:
Better yet, hoping somebody will name their new strain; “ZwitterIronic”!
:call_me_hand:

6 Likes

Don’t buy the pre made agar plates. I ordered 10. 4 of them are no good out of the bag

7 Likes

Well that’s a bummer
I hope you gonna ask for a refund

That’s why…DIY

3 Likes

I ordered some from north spore (local to me) and they were good. Be careful though, they don’t come individually wrapped, just the sealed bag. Once you open the bag, I’d wrap them.

3 Likes

Hello everyone,I’ve seen a lot of pictures here, they all look so beautiful, true masters. Happy growing. :v:

1 Like

So then, this is my first ever batch of home grow - when I was a lad I used to pick liberty caps in the fields but that was over 30 years ago now. This is purely for severe depression, I have had a good result from growing lotrs of my own CBD and making oils as well as smoking it, so I intend on once ready to put in to capsules at a dosage of .3g per cap and will take it 3 times per week.

Anyway, here are my little pins starting to come through

Hopefully I will be back in a couple of days with some shrooms
Z

9 Likes

Hello everyone,I’ve seen a lot of pictures here, they all look so beautiful, true masters. I have a question about magic mushrooms, I want to try growing them for myself, I want to ask if someone would like to send me spores to Europe, I’ve seen some strains that wud be nice to grow, but if someone has a better suggestion, I’ll be happy to accept it, #1 Golden Teacher, #2 PE regular or albino, and almost eny albino thet have a simular structure like PE,… Blue Meanie,… , I know something about magic mushrooms, but I haven’t tried growing them, i tried shiitake, so if someone wants to share a spore print, I would be grateful.
Happy growing to everyone. :v:

1 Like

There are many vendors in EU, some that sell blocks ready to fruit. The shroomery has a list of their sponsors that have been “trusted vendors” of the community for years

2 Likes

Problem is, that the ones I looked at, are sent from countries from which I would not like to receive, and the other problem is that I would like to receive a spore-print, because it can be sent in an ordinary letter, greeting card, or something similar, and if I order cubes, kit or syringes, I reduce the chances of it passing. That’s why I asked here, because maybe there is someone, who would like to send to me. I would really like to have an albino, I have seen some here, that are not albino, but they look beautiful, and a golden teacher, one of these two, or some other as long as it is not very difficult to cultivate, or slow, hole , half, 1/4, 1/8 or even smaller. if anyone would like to share a print with me, I would be very grateful.
Happy growing :v:.

2 Likes

You might try a shroom specific site, probably better luck there. I think shroomery has a forum you might try.

3 Likes

Still picking phobos

The next grain bag got kinda set aside too long :laughing:

10 Likes

I should get my Lions mane and turkey tail going, and need to get some cordyceps started up again. The last batches of cordyceps, including the ones I grew in pupas, ended up getting too warm before they were ready and started to grow mutated/stressed white “tumors”

3 Likes

24 BRF jars have been freshly steamed and are now cooling on my countertop. This evening, I plan to inoculate 8 with Mazatapec, 8 with Costa Rican, and 8 with B+ spores.

11 Likes