Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1)

Fan filter units have caught on as a cheaper flow hood for hobby and smaller labs. Just need a chamber for the pressure to build up and go through the filter evenly and a blower that you can adjust the speed of to push out air at the right speed. To find the minimum cfm for your filter, calculate the physical volume of your filter (LxWxH in feet) then multiply by 100 for CFM. Then go with a blower that’s at more than that and turn it down as needed, as the resistance of the filter will require the blower to push out more than that to build up the pressure.

4 Likes

Update on my John Allens.
Tub 1 flush 4 is still pushing out large cubes.
Tub 2 flush 4 has got a bunch cubes moving along

Lowering the intensity to the lowest setting on my LED has proven beneficial to more pinning.
:mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom:

8 Likes

Must’ve buried some Energizer batteries in with the spawn @ColeLennon . They keep going n going n going…looking great!
I just made up 12 more jar lids, prob make up the BRF mix tomorrow and PC sterilize.
I gotta get an order in somewhere for more prints/syringes. I’m just undecided on what variety to go with. Id like to find a fast colonizer/grower

3 Likes

John Allen’s very fast

2 Likes

the two tubs have mushrooms - happy with this set up - very easy so far

7 Likes

Looking good!

3 Likes

thanks Illicitmango chuffed to bits - after the first two failed attempts. When i open the bag next I will take better pics

3 Likes

Got some serious pins there. Great Job!!! :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom:

3 Likes

Bad news here. Went to go put away my jars of dry shrooms and decided to replace the desiccant packs in them all before doing so. When I opened them all (three in total), the mushrooms were no longer dry and were moist and soggy. All of them had to go in the compost. :rage:

So 50-ish grams of shrooms gone. Really disappointing. My only guess as to how this happened was that some of the bigger fruits weren’t fully dried when I put them in the jars and the moisture migrated to all the others.

I might invest in a dehydrator for my next round, just so I can be sure that everything is fully dried.

4 Likes

I bought one of these. I just use the layers to lay the shrooms on. Never had to plug it in.

I probably should actually use it tho lol

5 Likes

I usually just let the fan from my tent blow on the fruit (placed on a baking tray) overnight. I guess for the bigger, meatier fruit it’s not the best method.

3 Likes

Sorry Bro, that does suck. Back to the drawing board. I’ve screwed up so many times my screen name should be “again”

4 Likes

Yep, lesson learned for sure!

4 Likes

Tub 2 flush 4 - John Allens is popping hard

5 Likes

All of the back issues of Field Mycology from 2002-2021 are now available to download, for anyone into that sort of thing. I just thought it was interesting because my interest in mycology in general has grown since I started growing shrooms :laughing:

9 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the info @Howard.Crane
Im fairly new to the mycology stuff, but I’m totally fascinated by it and loving everything I have learned/tried so far.

That’s a bummer @Randar
I’ve been drying mine with my toaster oven, its more like a mini convection oven though. I just turn the heat all the way down and have the internal fan on, but I leave the door open/cracked.
I plan on getting a dehydrator, but the toaster oven has been working great although it takes 4-6 hours. I get them cracker dry, then bag them with a dessicant pouch in there, but I dont let the dessicant ever come in contact with the shrooms. I also heard you can slice the bigger meatier shrooms right down the middle into 2 pieces to help dry faster. That is a bummer though having to toss your harvest. Im wishing ya all the best of luck next run.

4 Likes

Dang @Randar, sorry to hear. I put mine in a screen on a box fan that can tilt, and put the fan on low for a day or 2. Then I put it in a ‘drying chamber’. It is a tubberware with 4 dollar store basement dessicant tubs and some cardboard to place the shrooms on. After 2 days they are cracker dry and then go in the jars with dessicant packs.

3 Likes

Mushy tribute… lol

10 Likes

Did you paint that?! @Bobgrows That’s an awesome picture

3 Likes

I have prints I can send if you are interested

3 Likes