Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1)

Flush 5 tub 2 is popping also.

8 Likes

Dm me I got you growmie. Also let me know how you tried to germinate the spores. I’ll help you get cooking right.

6 Likes

I’ve not gotten into the fun shrooms yet, just oyster mushrooms. I bought an oyster mushroom fruiting block just for fun during Covid, and it was a really fun experience. It was basically a bizarre alien pet, and watching it develop was both disturbing and fascinating.

3 Likes

Did you get a lot of oyster mushrooms out of the block? Been curious about those gourmet blocks and bags

2 Likes

Just popped some John Allen capsules and away we go!

3 Likes

It’s a fun one. Will keep you up. I found it racy.

1 Like

I fall asleep on these more than others. Maybe I’m just getting old.lol. Also I didn’t take tea that tends to make them racy because of how fast it comes on

3 Likes

Thought y’all would appreciate these two organisms cohabitating a 2x2 tent :slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes

Not really, but I am pretty sure that was my fault. I got enough for a couple of recipes, and that was it- though it did produce several little flushes before it crapped out completely lol.

Those spent blocks are great to add to worm bins, btw- along with old potting soil.

3 Likes

15 Likes

Nice! Sounds fun and worth it the. Thanks for the worm bin tip too I probably would have just buried it but that is a great idea and will def hit my worm bins with spent blocks.

Cheers🍻

2 Likes

Oh killer pics! I appreciate you sharing and those do look nice and healthy will def have to check them out. I bet they were tasty and fresh are impossible to get where I am so going to look around for a box or bag to get going. Thanks again for sharing and any recommendations for a good company would be awesome

2 Likes

I didn’t want to blow a bunch of money on it, but I got this kit from Amazon. It turned out pretty good, given how bad I messed it up!

Back to the Roots Organic Oyster Mushroom Grow Kit, Harvest Gourmet Mushrooms In 10 Days

4 Likes

I like it. I like it A Lot :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom:

1 Like

Killer appreciate the link. Will def check those out

3 Likes

That fruiting chamber is the best thing ever. It’s just a Sterlite bin with a bunch of holes in it, and a bag of perlite dumped in there. You just wet the perlite and put your colonized spawn block in there (I put down a sheet of foil just to keep it clean).

Keep a little misting bottle handy and give it a spritz a couple times a day, and it will do its thing.

4 Likes

I like the pic of the mushroom and the plant coexisting :slight_smile: @grow

Nice mushrooms and fruiting chamber @Hippiechik

2 Likes

I did an experiment with my spent fruiting block that you might find interesting. First, I saved up all my coffee grounds (put them directly into the freezer until I had enough) and filled a 2 liter bottle with the top cut off.

I then broke up the old fruiting block and mixed it with the coffee grounds, and filled the bottle. Gave it a spritz of water and then covered it with a coffee filter and put the whole thing in a cabinet for a few weeks.

It worked well, and the spawn quickly took over and ate the coffee- and when the whole thing started running out of food, it began fruiting. It actually grew right out of the top of the bottle, wherever it encountered oxygen.

15 Likes

That is too cool! Wish i could double like. How cool you took the spent block and got more out of it using coffee grounds and a bottle. Love it!! Always cool to recycle everything and get more out of your original purchase. I have sprinkled in coffee grounds with a mushroom mix before but never would have thought of using it as basically the only food source…so cool and thank you for sharing as I will put that great info to use for sure

5 Likes

That’s pretty awesome @Hippiechik I think I may try that with my current cake, I think its spent anyway so might as well experiment, for science!

3 Likes