Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1)

Think I’m going to get back at the mush farming. It been a couple years. I do have some spores I believe should be good. Going through the old supplies now looks like I have it all beside a air box and a tub or three lol. Ghost, blue ape and ape

6 Likes

Pretty good harvest! I’m going to run this side for a few more days and let some of the small ones i left on develop before I try to propagate the other side.

14 Likes

Those are beautiful. What strain is that.

5 Likes

Pink oysters. I got a 3 pack on amazon for 35 a few weeks ago. Usually they are about 20 a piece. The first one I ran from that pack molded out and only gave me 3 individual mushrooms.

8 Likes

They are beautiful. :100:

6 Likes

Those are gorgeous!
How do you use those?

7 Likes

Yea those are really nice/beautiful looking.

4 Likes

11hours later

13 Likes

I just give them to my wife and she cooks them up into almost everything she eats. Legit she will put mushrooms in everything she can. I’m a chef but I leave mushrooms to her. I like them enough but she loves them.

6 Likes

Looking good! I’m not sure if it’s just my phone but your substrate looks dry. Just what I can see not sure what you see in real life

4 Likes

The one on the right is perfect to take a spore print from. I know you may not want to cut the top off, it was hard for me my first couple, but that one print could fill 15 syringes. Look nice

6 Likes

Thanks @420noob Yea I have that one on foil :wink:

4 Likes

Nice! I always take 10-15 prints per grow just so I have and can share the love. Mushrooms aren’t dieocus( I know that’s wrong) so each makes many of its own male and female spores. No special anything has to be done but collect them.
Some varities don’t drop spores like pe, penis envy, but still have spores in the gills so you swab them. A few made crosses are live tissue only so dried colonized grain or lc is the only way to produce more of those fruits. :+1::thinking::wink:
I don’t know why I just went off on that little spore lessen just rambling and stoned I guess

10 Likes

Ultimately I’d like to have a ton of different varieties all going. I think that would be neat. I love how they grow and they’re really fun to watch

6 Likes

It is most I’ve had was 2 shoeboxes each of 4 varities all going at once. I got 11 at jars I’m gonna noc up with at least 2 maybe 3 different varities using lc. It is fun and pretty cool. Plus you get a side by side comparison for speed canopy health of fruit clustering( this is a good trait for mushies) so educational as well.

7 Likes

Ok so Mini#2 is coming along nicely

And… I took the plunge… made/poured my first attempt at agar.

17 Likes

I hope the agar works for you, never tried it myself.

4 Likes

Looking good! Gonna want to make sure your cups are on a flat surface when you pour. That way you always have a nice level surface. Makes for better uniform formation of mycelium. Soon those little guys will be a couple inches tall towering over fields of pins.

Also let cool before you move so it is set.lol

8 Likes

I did it in my SAB, but the lid (floor) wasn’t perfectly flat.
They are good now though, I made sure they were flat b4 they ‘set’.
Hopefully they turn out ok, because I really want to get the prints started!

Now for storage until I use them, are the agar cups ok to leave at room temp? Or should they be kept in the fridge?

4 Likes

Room temp is fine. Also agar isn’t like gelatin as you can reliquify it and it will reset.

4 Likes