Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc šŸ„ (Part 1)

@Zaaboot look up ā€œphilly golden teacherā€ on youtube. He has videos on a ton of mycology related stuff. Heā€™s real easy to follow/understand and a great channel to learn different processes like agar, spore syringes, and a bunch more. Shroomery.org is a great place for info as well,
Making a still air box is one of the most helpful tools Iā€™ve made, as most stuff requires clean still air or youā€™ll pick up nasties floating in the air. And we are constantly surrounded by them. Gloves, 70%isopropyl alcohol, and lysol(or equivalent) are used for most processes.

Agar is a seaweed that is usually bought in powder or solid form, thatā€™s mixed with water, light malt extract, karo syrup, potato flakes. Pretty much all kinds of different ingredients and ratios depending on how u want to go. Mix, heat, and sterilize.

Essentially itā€™s a nutrient/food mix to start spores on [or pieces of a mushroom (clone)]
Since spores are naturally dirty because theyā€™re exposed to air, you cant be sure that there isnā€™t something bad in thereā€¦ so we germinate spores on agar, then once there is growthā€¦ even if there are contaminants as well, you can cut out a ā€˜goodā€™ piece and put on a new agar cup/plate. Keep transferring til you get a clean culture ā€¦ then the possibilities are endless. That way you are less likely to lose a grain bag or jars to the bad stuff. Iā€™m fairly new as well but have learned a TON of info so far.

Feel free to message me if you ever need to. I dont mind helping anybody. Mush Love :mushroom:

6 Likes

That was explained really well @Illicitmango. :+1:

4 Likes

Sorry to ā€˜interruptā€™, again, but Iā€™ve been looking to learn about ā€œdosagesā€ for mushrooms a little bit over the last week or so (microdosing concept intrigued me), and Iā€™m a little confused. I didnā€™t find a thread here discussing it. Can someone recommend anā€¦article, or forum, or something with accurate, factual information on this, please?

I watched a video that is conflicting, at least Iā€™m confused, with some psilocybin products information. I think the source of confusion for me is that some sources are describing grams of mushrooms, and some sources/products are talking about grams or milligrams of actual psilocybin.

Imagine, someone recommends you try or start with a 0.5 gram joint of cannabis, and what you actually end up purchasing or trying is 0.5 gram of thc. Unless Iā€™m wrong on the math, the former would be 100mg of thc (if the bud was 20% thc, for example), and the latter would be 500mg of thc.
If that were mushrooms/psilocybin, that would be even more terrible of a mistakeā€¦

Iā€™m hearing that ā€œheroic doseā€ term defined as 30mg to 40mg, and also as (anywhere from) 3.5g to 5g - usually I hear itā€™s ā€œ5 gramsā€ (or more).
Is the mg number psilocybin weight, and the g number mushroom weight? Seems to make sense, butā€¦if so I still have a concern about some ā€œmicrodose edibles candiesā€ I was shown, and their dose per candy.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll try to find links for ya after I eat dinner @Nitt but usually they go by grams for the mushroom weight itself. And mg usually refers to the psilocybin and psilocin[and other alkaloids] in the mushrooms. But each individual mushroom varies in potency, even the same type from the same flush. They vary. I usually start at about .2-.3g if itā€™s a cubensis mushroom for a microdose. Starting low and slow is smart, because you can always take more if needed. But the golden teachers I use, are fairly average in potency for a cube[psilocybe cubensis mushroom] and .2 to .3 for me, is enough to just notice I took somethingā€¦ but not nearly enough to feel messed up at all. Very very mild.

Having a scale handy helps tremendously for weighing out a dose.

5 Likes

Thanks.
So check out this product, guys. gummies ā€“ Microdelik.

Now that I double, no, triple check, it says right in the description: ā€œā€¦Our gummis contain 100 mg (0.1 g) of psilocybin in each gummi with 20 gummis in a reusable tin box. ā€¦.ā€ Thatā€™s an excerpt. Read the other couple paragraphs at the link, if you care to.

ā€œ30mg to 40mgā€ is ā€œheroic doseā€ according to Terence McKenna, says this man in the video (link starts video at the quote): Youtube LINK.

Soā€¦if 30 to 40mg is a heroic (large!) dose, well beyond even a ā€œrecreationalā€ dose, how is a gummi with ā€œ100mg of psilocybinā€ a microdose?

The information on the package is also a big confusing, to me at least. Check out the image of the package; it says ā€œ20 (2g) squares / carreā€. Which could be taken as "Oh, ok, so thereā€™s 20 x 2g squares (ie: 40g total). Even though it ā€¦ ā€œclarifiesā€ to the right and says each square is 100mg / 0.1g. I just seems weird, maybe itā€™s me?

ā€œcarreā€ is french, for square (I canā€™t put the accent over the ā€˜eā€™).

EDIT: I didnā€™t have the time stamp link. I fixed itā€¦
Oh, and aparantly, that mg number is ā€œwrongā€, as per microdelik. But then they checked the video, and the professor did indeed say ā€œ30 to 40mgā€ and says thatā€™s according to Terence McKenna. Iā€™ll have to do some more looking around. Manā€¦what? Haha.

4 Likes

Well while 5 grams is definitely a good time, 7-10 would be heroic! Well extremely spiritual to say the least. Lol.
Seriously though, Iā€™m sure you know; what works for others might not work for you. Or it might work to well. To attempt micro dosing I would use like .2 or so grams and go from there. I would also take into account that will likely change per species. Everyoneā€™s body is different.
Wait at least 48 hours, try again with maybe twice the amount and note the effects of the higher dose. If youā€™re not sure, wait 48 and retest the same dose. This is a simple reaction test(a variation)and can work well if done correctly.
Lmk what else you find.
:v::slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

diamond! thank you

2 Likes

@Illicitmango that is very helpful - thanks muchly!
I tried that Shroomery place as it seems to be the place to go, I find a lot of the stuff on there confusing as it is all some sort of TEK, not sure how a box became box tek but it threw me off thinking everything needed a PHd in mycology :rofl:

I have to say, 30 years in a suit has turned my brain to mush, anything not on the laptop seems like hokery pokery to me

Ultimately, I need a still air box then get ready for step two - that in itself is a massive time saver as I would have tried and tried without one I am sure. In the meantime, off to youtube to find this Philly Golden Teacher

4 Likes

.2 grams of psilocybin? So 200mg of psilocybin? According to everything Iā€™m reading, and hearing (so far), that amount of psilocybin would be over four times a ā€œheroic doseā€ of 40mg. Soā€¦ a Legendary dose? Legendary with All Skulls enabled, and not allowed to fire any rounds, even?

Crazy. Haha.

Sorry guys. I wonā€™t keep posting here about this.
Carry on. Thanks.

4 Likes

.2 grams of ground mushrooms!

No one here is having lab tests on their funguy to be scrutinized by someoneā€¦

Think of it like cannabis. Ok, this breeders pack says 22-27% THC. You grew it out. Youā€™re not gonna have lab testing done on it(most arenā€™t anyways). So are you gonna say u got 25% THC weed? 22, 24ā€¦20? Point is, you are gonna smoke it to see what it does for ya. Just do that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

@Nitt Yea the numbers do certainly sound odd,
Hereā€™s a dosage calculator based on dry mushrooms

As for your gummies, it is pretty confusing as they say 1 piece, is .1g or 1/10th of a gram. But they also say its 100mg of psilocybin, but I have a hard time believing that.
From the research I was just doing lol, it says the average psilocybin content is .5% to 2% of the dry weight of the mushroom as per psillow.com
Meaning 1g of dried mushrooms could have anywhere from 5mg-20mg of psilocybin. Thatā€™s certainly way lower than the 100mg per .1g from the microdelik gummies. For whatever reason, I think theyā€™re just calling the entire weight [100mg is .1g] of the gummy pure psilocybin, but the ingredients show they have INGREDIENTS: SUGARS (SUGAR, GLUCOSE SYRUP, DEXTROSE) ā— GELATIN ā— FRUIT JUICES FROM CONCENTRATE ā— CITRIC ACID ā— WATER ā— FRUIT AND PLANT CONCENTRATES ā— ARTIFICIAL FLAVOURS ā— BEESWAX ā— CARNAUBA WAXā€¦
I think itā€™s just a marketing ploy. Id just take 1, and see how it goes. Because 100mg of pure psilocybin would be way beyond a heroic dose lol.

@Zaaboot they use the term Tek as in technique.
Everybody has a specific way they do things, so depending on what exact steps/processes they took, they label the whole step by step as a Tek.

Example, if I decide to make my next agar batch with x cups of water, x amount of this, and Y amount of that, I could call it Mangos TEK or whatever I choose to name it. Hopefully that helps kinda clarify lol.

I need to smoke now lol

5 Likes

Thatā€™s the amount of dried fruit. The amount of psilocybin contained in fruit would be considerably smaller.
@Illicitmango way to break it down. Sometimes I forgot the real basics because Iā€™ve done a few grows. That break down will make searching a lot easier.
@Zaaboot glad to help also after 90 days as a member you can enter the marketplace on shroomery. Same idea as hear free spores, trade spores, as for spores, biggest difference is almost every mushroom makes spores so no extra work to collect as you grow. I have made it a rule for every variety I grow I make 10-15 prints some for me mostly to share with others.

5 Likes

wow @Illicitmango - That Phily Golden Teacher is spot on, I feel like I know so much more now after just a few videos.

Currently growing the cambodian which I will put in to fruiting tomorrow, I will for sure try to make some spore prints of that to get on to Agar and try to start a grow from my own agarā€¦woop woopā€¦plans are coming together

4 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome @Zaaboot glad that helped ya!
I like his content because he makes things real easy to follow n has just a bit of everything on there.

4 Likes

https://m.youtube.com/@MushroomsRR
This will show you a lot. One thing to point out if doing brf Tek donā€™t make the shotgun fruiting chamber it dries fast and there is more updated Tek. Other than that this is the basics for most mushrooms.

2 Likes

thank you @420noob - looking forward to these cambodians to fruit as I want to play and make things now as well

1 Like

Hey guys Iā€™d really love to give mushrooms a go at both growing them and also micro dosing as it could be a really beneficial therapy for me for my ptsd after my brain injury.
Where do all you guys get your mushroom spores from?
Is there a reputable online vendor youā€™d recommend?

6 Likes

Depends where you are, all the places in Canada that I have seen on line that sell them donā€™t ship outside Canada. The reason they donā€™t ship outside Canada is that you pay by email electronic money transfer, and you canā€™t do international money transfers.

I just bought 2 Oz from these guys, they were the cheapest prices I found as they had a sale on. Their products so far are great I got Daddy Longlegs and Blue Meanies.

Edit sorry still half asleep didnā€™t see the spores bit :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

@Cranio sporeworks, premiumspores, mushroommanmycology, thereā€™s a bunch. After you have your first flush/ harvest, youā€™ll be able to collect your own spores from the fruits. Itā€™s a really fun hobby, and ā€œdifferentā€ compared to plants.
Have you looked into the process of growing them?

4 Likes

Hey @Cranio . Iā€™d check some of the popular mushroom growing forums. There should be several members from down there, that could tune you up. If not, Iā€™ve sent spore prints from Canada to the States before. I could send a couple your way but starting from a print can be tricky. Do you have any experience in mycology?
:grin::canada::v:

4 Likes