Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc šŸ„ (Part 1)

Intrigued by blue lightā€¦Check out the Paul Stamets patent (US20180021326A1 - Compositions and methods for enhancing neuroregeneration and cognition by combining mushroom extracts containing active ingredients psilocin or psilocybin with erinacines or hericenones enhanced with niacin - Google Patents), starting at section 0020ā€¦Using blue light stimulation in the 280-400 nm wavelength range, precursor molecules to psilocybin and psilocin production can be elicited from the mycelium, primordia or fruitbodies of psilocybian or their close non-psilocybian relatives, to induce the formation of neurogenic compounds, including those that are not illegal, and therefore would not violate statutes in the United States or other countriesā€¦

Iā€™m running a 465 nm blue led array in conjunction with a 395-405 nm UVA black light.

9 Likes

Let me know your process I might be able to help you find whatā€™s ruining your tubs. Have you tried pf Tek? Brf cakes are great to learn on.

3 Likes

I did the BRF tek and got a few. This time I did the Uncle Benā€™s tek following Mushroomscouts tek, Reddit - Dive into anything
I got a new clear tub, cut no holes for FAE after looking at what everyone else is doing on the thread. My temperature and humidity in the tub is 68 and 99%.

5 Likes

Shroomery.org is IMHO a more reliable info source. Just my thoughts. Also look into a water tub itā€™s similar to a humidity chamber you can use for cakes or shoeboxes or your foil pan you have in your tub

4 Likes

Do you just plan on leaving the lid cracked and misting the tub?
You can use a 2 inch circular bit and drill some front and back holes and tape a filter disc over each hole. Put a 2x4 against the inside and start the drill slowly. If you donā€™t you will blow out a panel. How big is the tub? How many Quarts? I love those little LED lights. Both of mine been working like a champ 2 years now.
I looked at this guy and copied him.

My 32QT tub. I have 4-2 inch holes front and back 3 inches from the bottom and sides near the top. One filter disc per hole taped to the tub. I have 1-1 inch hole for my fogger hose. This tub really doesnā€™t need a fogger.

7 Likes

The tub is 70 quarts. The plan is once itā€™s ready to fruit, if that happens, to flip the lid over and leave it cracked. I did get those led lights you are using. Iā€™ll watch the video.

3 Likes

The water tub is used to keep the humidity up?

2 Likes

Ya basically put inch of water in a clear tub. Then a raised great to hold cakes or blks and leave little air space at lid. Works great in the desert where I live. Also shroomery.org. Got to bodhisatta something like that but unmodified tub on shroomery. It is pretty much spawn to substrate fill tub keep closed until starts to colonize once fully colonized open handle on tub for fae and watch them grow. Itā€™s a set up and leave til harvest. Also shaperdreams has a small form factor sff that works as a set and forget but has it set up for perpetual grow/ harvest if you follow all the steps but works for just a few tubs.

5 Likes

Iā€™ll take a look. Once I successfully complete one run, Iā€™ll be golden, got to get past the obstaclesā€¦ā€¦me! :grin:

2 Likes

Exactly that is exactly what you need. Do you have a pressure cooker/canner. Also can move brfcakes to bulk as well. I donā€™t know uncle Benā€™s but Iā€™ll read into it. Agar work or just spores from a syringe? Sorry for all the questions itā€™s just what I need to know so I can give best advice.

3 Likes

I do have a pressure cooker and have successfully made spore prints, syringes of the prints, inoculated brown rice, barley and uncle Benā€™s instant rice. And that is as far as I get. I will be more active in this thread and pick everyoneā€™s mind. I have got some great strains, but donā€™t want to risk messing up, so Iā€™ll work with the GT until I get it right.

3 Likes

Cole how long to you run your light during the day?

2 Likes

I run it 8am to 8pm. The spare is charged while the others working. Itā€™s a 12/12 just like blooming. Your tubs twice as big. I would use both on the lid at 1/3 intensity. Both should work all 12 hours. Then charge them for lights on. Maybe grab another set.

2 Likes

Is there a way to change the intensity of the lights?
Edit: Disregard, long touch changes light intensity.

3 Likes

Look it working with agar. It might be a bit intimidating but itā€™s easy and will up your game big time. @Illicitmango @bobgrows @Seamonkey84 care to chime in on agar?

Also maybe using a hulled grain would help and they are a little easier to work with. Whole oats, Milo, millet, wild bird seed blend(no nuts or fruit)

5 Likes

Agar is fun and pretty easy to make. Itā€™s easy to see if you get contamination with agar.
Made my own spore prints and added to agar.
Iā€™ve added them to grains such as popcorn, rye, birdseed.

5 Likes

Agar is great stuff!, it allows you to clean up and test cultures before jumping to grain, reducing contams even further. Cloning, creating more spawn, and once you have clean mycelium on a plate, you no longer have to rely on spores [to a point] lol

3 Likes

With spores, definitely go to agar or BRF cake. If your cake looks very healthy, you can break it up (Iā€™ve read some people took a veggie greater to them :joy:) and mix with bulk. If youā€™re putting spores directly to grains, be it Ben tek or whole grains, Iā€™d still test the syringe on agar first to see if itā€™s dirty. Ben tek and Grains are best for known clean cultures, like pieces of the clean colonized agar. liquid culture should be made from clean agar and then tested in agar again.
That all said, bacterial spawn will usually still produce 1-3 flushes. Some would say fruit directly from the block of grains, instead of mixing it with bulk, but Iā€™ve usually just mixed with coco and ran with them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sorry, not sure if I actually answered any questions you had lol.
Oh, broke boi tek or prepping spawn jars with brown rice is fine, but you need to prep the rice properly to not have it be all sticky.

5 Likes

Rehydrated creeper tubs 36 hours ago. Going for flush 5.

5 Likes

Ya you nailed it! Agar helps a lot. Iā€™ve done cheese grater on cakes spawn to bulk. Also have 3 1mycoquart shoeboxes with pe x AA+ that are bacterial I spawn 3 days ago. Ya rice, rye, uncle bens are tough yo work with if not just right. Hard shelled grains are easier to prep with less contam in general.

1 Like