Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc šŸ„ (Part 1)

Heā€™s gonna be working agar can he sterilize agar with steam? Thanks for the pic are they pp5 also?

1 Like

Yea, LC and Agar can be steam sterilized, but I went full 2hr not 90min

PF tek/BRF jars with open holes canā€™t be used For this, gotta modify them if they donā€™t have silicone and filter disk/micropore tape

If you donā€™t like the 90sec mycology guy, thereā€™s also PGT lol

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZkN1XUUEvapiQocq9Fs8XYsLmGrajZeX

9 Likes

Not working with agar. Or at least no plans to anytime in the near future.

I stick with Bodā€™s Easy AF Tek (no pressure cooker). Was just wondering if there was something else I could fill the jars with that would work as well. But thatā€™s no longer necessary now that Iā€™ve discovered I can make my own BRF so easily.

Onward and upward!

7 Likes

Well then you are solid! Grinding your own rice is way cheaper isnā€™t it! Also if grinding it yourself you can leave little chunks I mean little so you donā€™t have to sift it cause they work like little nutes packets for the mycelium.

7 Likes

hey all - just an update, I have been busy since starting out wanting to grow one tub of GT to get a couple of hundred microdoses.
Anyway - here are the contents of the dark room - sits at 23degrees, I think it was a bit cold before so things took time, but since setting the heat things have moved forwards. Even had a go at putting together some LC jars - oe with Lions Mane and the other with Red Reishi.
In teh box, there are my first, second and third runs with Agar, plenty are filling out their cups now and I certainly threw away a few to random growths, but not as many as expected.
There are a couple of Cambodians bags and jars which I inoculated with my own home made spore syringes.

Last night, the decision was to scrape a few spores from the Natalensis and Texas Yellow cap and drop them on to agar. As it takes time I am going to go to Portugal and hang around my treehouse and do a couple of nice doses in the sun - hopefully when I am back things will have moved forwards and on to grains :raised_hands:

12 Likes

Florida white f+ first flush is underway. I used midwest organics 1 - 2.2 lb grain bag and 2 lbs of their coco substrate.

12 Likes

thought you guys might like to see the diy jar incubator the newest add-on to the room

this time of the year my house temp goes up and down so much and it seem to be messing with the growth in my jars so i set this up the big outside tub holds water around the smaller tub and i got a 25$ fish tank heater to heat the water has bin going for 3 days now and the temp inside only moves 2 degrees 78-80 the only problem so far is when i leave the black lid on small inside tote snapped down it gets water droplets on the inside so i just bin leaving the lid un latched sence yesterday and no droplets

10 Likes

That is on the warm side. Incubating at those temps help any bacteria present outgrow the mycelium. 65-75 is fine, spores may take a bit longer to germinate but that outweighs bacteria taking over. Just keep an eye on them.

6 Likes

I second what he said :point_up_2:. Like the idea but definitely keep an eye on it.

1 Like

14 Likes

First mature picks of Florida white f+. They are short/stout and thick.

11 Likes

First fruit to open on a very sparse mazatat box. Iā€™ll take pic of the rest of the box later, I only picked this chunky one so far since it started to opened last night.

Iā€™m getting my cordyceps LC going tonight, I have more cultures than I originally planned since AP gold sent some freebies after a shipping delay.
Iā€™ll be growing them on a rice and broth base, as well as in live hornworm pupas

6 Likes

thatā€™s really cool - I have looked at Cordyceps a few times but have yet to go for it - looking forwards to seeing those grow out

3 Likes

Now that is composting! Nice

3 Likes

Public service announcementā€¦ Found some ovoids this morning so they are out there for any VA peeps

2 Likes

Iā€™ve thought about corydecps. Growing red reishi and turkey tail at the moment.
But growing in hornworm pupaā€¦Bravo! I couldnā€™t do itā€¦ nope, nada, no way. But , please post about it. Iā€™d love to watch.

5 Likes

I tried the hornworms last year, but it got too warm before they finished fruiting. It needs to stay 72 or below.

Hope I get better results this year, and itā€™ll be cool to see what the different cultures look like when grown from these vs the rice recipe. Iā€™ll have 5 different genetics, one of which is a peach colored mutation. The strainaholic/collector in me really wants the albino culture, but Iā€™m not going to spend close to $100 for it.

I have a bag of turkey tail colonizing on wood right now. Iā€™m still need to prep bags of pasteurized wood pellets to spawn out some reishi, gold + pink oysters, and two different cultures of lions mane

11 Likes

First mature picks

14 Likes

So here my John allens spawned to substrate 4-27

13 Likes

I love me some John Allenā€™s :100:

3 Likes