Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1)

Yes that was the second flush of the mazatat. I just picked another flush off the hill billy too, but I didn’t take any pics. I had to do it quick since I had to put the drying rack on top of my bloom lights, and the light had just turned off.
Speaking of lights and cordyceps, I introduced the jars to light to start the long fruiting process (4-6 weeks). The bugs still need more time to incubate hehe
Some aquarium lights I had sitting around, a fluorescent on top, some LEDs from the back. I just got a inkbird temp controller and LED light bars to hook up to a mini fridge.

8 Likes

Holy smokes! Those are absolutely gorgeous

2 Likes

Super stoaked to see some cordyceps in the thread. When I start growing they are high on my list because of the immune support they offer.

4 Likes

I stuck some still fruiting substrate outside last year and now getting similar looking shrooms popping up all over the garden like never before. Likely to be from spores anyone reckon? Should I try some of them? Don’t want to be ill but don’t wanna waste either.

6 Likes

Take some good clear pics of the stem, and make a spore print for more positive ID.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply. What would an up close pic of stems and a spore sprint tell us?

And also how likely is that I het ill from brewing these in a tea?

2 Likes

There’s a whole list of things to check to positively ID a mushroom. But if you’re just trying to ID if it’s a specific type, like a cubensis, there’s tell tale signs usually right off the bat. NEVER consume one you’re not completely sure of.
Especially generic little brown mushrooms (LBM) many are toxic and need a microscope to tell one from another even if they’re not actually closely related.
If they’re popping up all over the place, then likely not cubes that you planted. But if was just a patch where you put them, then likely. Unless you have livestock in your yard, it’s not likely that spores start growing all over your lawn.
I don’t remember all the things to check if it’s a cube, but it it has a ring left on the stem from where the veil attached, and the spores are purple, then its at least going in the right direction.

8 Likes

cut one off and see if the stem turns blue where ya cut it

7 Likes

Not always a guaranteed method. Is that exactly where you put your substrate or is it just close?
Also prints show gill arrangement and spore color which helps identify. Also apps and other forums that with GOOD pic can identify or at least tell you what it’s not.

7 Likes

Oh, more importantly, what region do you live? If you had an actual winter with the ground freezing, then cubensis wouldn’t have survived!

3 Likes

Psilocybe cubensis fruits will have all four of the following traits:
1: Dark purple spore print
2. Bruises blue
3. Partial Veil
4. Semi-gelatinous separable pellicle

If they have all four of those traits, and what you buried was cubensis, and they look similar to what you buried, and they only appear very near where you buried the sub, then it’s a reasonably good assumption that they’re what you’re looking for.

Otherwise, it’s probably best to skip them.

The advice from other posters above to seek help with visual identification is good advice, and well recommended.

The danger of eating unidentified or misidentified mushrooms isn’t just that you’ll get sick, it’s that you’ll likely permanently damage your kidneys, possibly fatally so.

10 Likes

Thanks fam

2 Likes

Lions mane block fruiting in bag on its own without extra air exchange.

15 Likes

Alright, alright, alright.

13 jars inoculated on 4/27/2023 are all officially finished as of today. So I just finished cooking up some coir and once cooled (tomorrow) I will be making up 2 to 3 shoeboxes.

Should be tripping on some McKennaii by mid to late June!

7 Likes

Nice! Once they’ve colonized the substrate it’s smoooooth sailin’!
Started tracking this thread because boomers were my livelihood for quite a few years, now I’m thinking about how much easier it would be, (and fun!), to just do personal size runs, instead of a Martha with 14 fruiting trays! :grin:

3 Likes

You know it’s a slippery slope! Shoebox size is as big as I’ve gone, annd provided more than we can use. So I’ve moved onto gourmets and medicinals.

3 Likes

I have access to a cattle pasture. Any thoughts on how I might go about inoculating it successfully?

4 Likes

What climate are you in? It prob won’t work if cubes don’t already naturally grow in your area. Otherwise, you bury some colonized grain or substrate in an areas that remains moist and maybe gets some dung. They don’t need the dung to fruit from, it’s colonized the ground but dung makes a nice microclimate area and has nutrients so the mushrooms grow from the ground through the dung.

4 Likes

Southeast US

3 Likes

Quick question, with 13 pint jars and using 6 qt. shoeboxes, would it be better to split the jars between 2 shoeboxes or 3? Does it even really matter?

2 Likes