Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc šŸ„ (Part 1)

Thanks for all the info, Iā€™m going to start going through that today.
Iā€™ll probably take your advice and start with something EZ and just go from there.
Thanks again!

2 Likes

You really donā€™t need a perpetual, trust me.

Your first good flush will set you up for so many microdoses that youā€™ll realize that perpetual will serve you better for refining your methods rather than being necessary, and youā€™ll probably have an overabundance of medicine :rofl:

In any case, I would suggest looking for the simplest and quickest path towards that first good flush, and worry about the rest later.

8 Likes

Sounds like a plan man thanks!
I am definitely good with starting simple.
I also have no idea how well this will work, so itā€™s best maybe if I donā€™t go full on 100% right out of the gate as Iā€™m often tempted to do :smile:

4 Likes

I have not flipped a block, but Iā€™ve seen posts from those who have. If healthy and hydrated, it will just take a little bit longer for it to pin since thereā€™s usually not the pre conditioned mycelium there. Itā€™ll fruit from where ever there is favorable surface conditions. Someone put them on a wire rack in a fruiting chamber, got mushies on all sides.

@MumenRyder even doing a single spore syringe to a few BRF cakes (PF tek) will provide you with more than you need for micro doses. Carefully done and with luck, you can try Ben tek with 90sec microwave brown rice (plan for roughly 50% fail, but will prob be better than that), spore syringes are inherently contaminated, so if it that bag molds, toss it. Do like 4-6 bags at a time to play the numbers, and if youā€™re spores weā€™re half way clean, youā€™ll end up with something to harvest. Two bags of rice (one pound or one qt of grain spawn), even if itā€™s bacteria infected spawn, I expect close to an oz of dried fruits when mixed with some coir and put in a shoebox/Tupperware to fruit. Key with spores, less is better. Donā€™t think shooting more spore solution will make things better or faster, it just increases risk of infection. If doing the Ben tek, I would put no more than 1ml into each bag, .5-.75ml would prob be better if you can control it.
Pay close attention to the last video on this play list
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSbJjSukZXqTvn3GLExvvIr17ayJ09t7o

Spores to grains is not recommended by anyone who is really into the mycology part of the hobby, but if all you want is to grow some fruits, then Ben tek is fine. Just stay here and donā€™t bother joining shroomery, trust me.

2 Likes

Just because I feel more comfortable asking here than over on shroomery. Does anyone have any Pan bisporus spores or cultures they could share?

1 Like

Hey guys, thanks so much for the info so far.
@Seamonkey84 I am actually thinking about trying Ben Tek with maybe 4-5 bags since I am a beginner.
I watched some videos and it looks about the least resource intensive. How many syringes do you think I need for multiple bags like that?

Few questions for everyone though:

• Any specific strain you recommend for beginners?
  • Any specific strain for micro dosing?

Based on what Iā€™ve read I donā€™t really think it matters much.

I never really noticed too much of a difference on any of the strains when I was doing big heroic doses either honestlyā€¦ but I did only ever try maybe a few different ones.

3 Likes

One syringe can easily do 10 bags. You really should only put .5-1ml in each bag, you have to be careful cause the needle sometimes gets clogged by the rice, do not try to force it out my squirting into the bag! Spore works is reputable to have clean syringes. Oh cube culture usa actually has liquid culture which instead of spores, so think of it as getting clones (in the sense that itā€™s already alive and growing) instead of starting from seeds. I would personally still test it on agar, but would be the ā€œcleanerā€ rout to take instead of spores. I havenā€™t ordered from them yet, but I think Iā€™m going to try the Pan culture they have.

Oh, get some silicone and glop it on the rice bags, use that as an injection spot and itā€™ll seal itself after the needle is drawn out. Put it on kinda thick so thereā€™s some room to seal.

Late night edit: pulled the 10qts of grain that I ran through the PC last night, then immediately used them all. Three for cubes, all repeats of some favorites to see how they perform without bacteria in their way. The rest went to shiitake, golden oyster, bioluminescent bitter oyster, and then two each of pink oyster and Lions mane.

7 Likes

any outdoor teks for magic mushies in a very humid and hot area? :thinking: possible?

2 Likes

Last night I cleaved my skull in two and let my brain raom free. I am a changed man, I now understand living waters.

5 Likes

Thereā€™s an outdoor growing thread on the shroomery that is worth a look through. Otherwise, as long as the temps right, you can burry colonized grain or block in a shaded sheltered area and mulch it to keep humidity/microclimate. You can mix in some manure or compost into the area to give it a bit more nutrients, but the colony wonā€™t survive a freezing winter so you have to reseed each year.

5 Likes

our winters arenā€™t freezing anymoreā€¦ Thanks m8, I know the tek, the guy does it in shaded woods with tarps and stuff, if thats wat ur talking bout
I just want a foolproof grow-inyour-backyard tek , but I know that means lazy F ā€¦
One q : do I reallly need those substrates outdoors?
LE: if you catch a contam indoor while starting, does it perpetuate oudside ??

3 Likes

Speaking only for cubes, you donā€™t need to use anything besides colonized grain and some soil or mulch to keep the moisture on the colony. the colonized grains are all the nutrients it needs for many flushes. Tarps, prepared beds and and stuff definitely make it more of a proper cultivation effort, but you could just burry some in a suitable spot and put a box/tote over it to make the micro climate. Many people just burry their spent/contaminated grains/fruiting blocks outside or even in a flower pot. Just needs to be sheltered from drying out. The mulch/tarp is to make a the microclimate for the pins to form readily without drying out, then the swelling comes from moisture in the substrate.

4 Likes

Naw man. Is the shroomery getting sketchy?

2 Likes

No, I just fell more at home asking for something here since Iā€™m more of a lurker there. People are generally generous with spores and swabs, but the overall attitude there kinda puts me off. Itā€™s not like you see people on a gardening forum blasting someone for two pages just because they got a ā€œpatio tomatoā€, keep it in that medium pot, do nothing but some miracle grow and producing some tomatoes.
Mention youā€™re a noob, that you put spores to grains, doing Ben tek, buying prepared grain bags, ect and youā€™ll get a page of flaming before you get to respond.
My advice to noobs, use shroomery as an info base, though theyā€™re jerks about it, they are preaching the more efficient and proper way to do mycology. But if you just want to produce some fruits, some simpler though ā€œriskierā€ methods will work for that. All depends on how much you want to get into it.
I saw this on another thread and though it was perfect for how feel in regards to their attitude

12 Likes

Ya just curious I was on shroomery for over a year straight learning and asking questions but like you said kinda got tired of the your way isnā€™t right but great info forum or quick question. I havenā€™t been on in a while I just jump over and search for specific things. I have a good idea on my process been doing couple years so donā€™t need the constant support. I spend more time on here anyways. Thatā€™s makes sense though I get it!

9 Likes

I think this is one of my first batch of grain spawn that isnā€™t bacterial. Iā€™ve used spawn bags made by commercial producers, Ben tek, and Broke boi tek. The first PC run of milket wasnā€™t done long enough, only did 90mins with the unmodified presto weight. Then this batch was ran for 2hrs at 16-17psi. Though, Iā€™m not sure if the oats were on the dry side, or just the cultures I had in the syringe was getting stressed from sitting out instead of being refrigerated. The jars with cubes took forever to colonize this oat compared to the jars from the previous batch of dirty millet, the APE jar is still not finished (slow but healthy growth). All the gourmet species had no problem with going right through the Oat, they have already colonized hardwood pellets and the bags just got cuts made to start fruiting. No tent setup and donā€™t have the totes on hand to make a fruiting chamber, so just sitting on the shelf getting extra FAE until I see aborts or get something put together. No pics of them currently.

albino hillbilly- second attempt. First without bacterial stress (I hope lol)

The latest PC run was blending the oats and millet together, simmered to hydrate before loading vs the No prep I did with the straight oats or millets. For the cubes, I drew LC direct from the jars that have been in the kitchen cabinet for months. Letā€™s see if I need to make fresh LC :sweat_smile:. I need to expand and preserve the gourmets I have, so far I only have them in LC and nothing saved on agar. Need to get more slants made too so I can get everything saved for long term.

9 Likes

Been 6 days since birthing the jars to my shoeboxes. Things are nice and humid/moist, and the mycelium is starting to poke through the casing layer. Good signs and just sitting back patiently to watch them grow.

5 Likes

Just started some of theseā€¦

12 Likes

Coolā€¦ :sunglasses: :metal: I tried twice to grow them. :mushroom: :mushroom:

3 Likes

We shall seeā€¦
Hereā€™s hoping! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes