Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1)

I did a substrate calculator and for my 7qts on a 2:1 sub to spawn it told me to use 2qts of spawn. Is this overkill for a small container, I was thinking 1 would be enough, I will have 5qts total of spawn if I get no contam

1 Like

I was hoping for 5x 7qt tubs with 1qt each

1 Like

I wouldn’t put more than 1qt per 7qt shoebox. Any more will probably be wasted tub will contam before can use up all the spawn. Probably 2qts of substrate to be mixed with spawn. Spawn is in the jars substrate is what you mix with spawn.

2 Likes

Ok cool, I didn’t think 2 was a good idea, especially for my first time. How much coir should I add then? Or should I just go for a certain substrate depth, 3in?

2 Likes

That’s where the 2:1 comes in 2 parts substrate in your case coir and 1 part spawn colonized grains for total 3 parts

4 Likes

If you get tired of mixing that shit up and trying to get the right moisture. I have used these guys with much success. Ready to go.

4 Likes

I may consider this, thanks for the idea!

2 Likes

Blue meanies in the brf and golden mammoth in the grain

9 Likes

That grain looks rather bacterial, I’d break it up into several shoeboxes 1:1 or just burry the whole block in some coir. Should still get a good flush or two before it molds or starts falling apart.

2 Likes

Just noticed this on Amazon. Anyone looked into, or tried these?

3 Likes

Those are pretty cool. I made my own 32QT with filter discs less than 15 bucks.

12 Likes

I should have never looked at this thread! :roll_eyes: Now I gots to set up shop

9 Likes

I got my lid filters stickers and self healing injection ports yesterday, I’m ready to get these jars going! I got my APE LC on Monday, they gave me a couple freebie swabs of Hillbilly Pumpkin, anyone ran that species?

3 Likes

Gonna do 10x Long Grain Brown Rice 1pint jars with 1cc each of APE, 5x 7qt shoeboxes with 100% Eco Earth Coir 1qt of Spawn each when jars are colonized. 1:2 ratio spawn to substrate with a 1/4 inch casing of coir at spawn. Shoeboxes will be Unmodified.

3 Likes

It looks like I didn’t get my mini fridge set up soon enough, and my cordyceps went through too much heat stress. Only 2 of the 4 cultures are fruiting, and the fruits aren’t growing right. Going to start up another batch of LC soon and try again. I hope the pupas didn’t get too messed up, but not looking great

11 Likes

Any thoughts from the group?

Looks like I have some contamination as I try to work on a second flush…Does anyone have any idea what
kind of mold this is? It’s pretty bluish/green…

I tried to dump some peroxide on it but nothing seemed to happen…Is it worth muddling through to try to
Squeeze out a few more mushies…or should I turf the tub, Re-sterilize and get
going on a new batch?

Cheers

5 Likes

It’s toast, :joy::raised_hands:
time to clean up and start on your next batch. Once you see contamination it is time to get rid of the substrate… as soon as possible. Peroxide only kills spores, it isn’t effective against all living colonies; some species, psilocybin are one, create peroxidases which are enzymes help them break down peroxides so they don’t get damaged. Your contamination looks like blue green trichoderma to me, the fluffy darker spots would be sporulating patches… spreading spores throughout your grow room. :v:

4 Likes

Hey HT…

Thanks for the feedback…

I guess I’m feeling like Homer was on that episode of the Simpson’s where he tries to eat that Submarine Sandwich that’s so big, it takes days to eat…

(Trying to take advantage of every last bit)

As the sandwich deteriorates, Homer is seen clutching the sandwich…repeating “It’s still good! It’s still good” as he progressively become more nauseous trying to choke down those last bites…

Chuckle

6 Likes

Feedback please
Legit? John Allen swab to plate

6 Likes

For sure! :joy: I always want to achieve multiple pounds of yield despite only eating a quarter oz at a time :sweat_smile: It only takes a few fruits for a good dose, I bet you have more than enough to fulfill any immediate desires to experience communion :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
LoveFestCA_mayan_shaman_walking_trough_a_nebulae_in_the_space_s_0aa34f99-ad7f-4ea4-b78b-c4cdcdd4e049~2

3 Likes