Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1)

Just documenting some progress on my dive into mushrooms

@420noob Got some of your JA spores onto agar (thank you again!) and just today spotted some possible progress. The white blob to the left doesn’t quite look fuzzy but is it possible the spores could create mycelium in just a couple days?

An oyster mushroom that I bought from the farmer’s market to test out cloning. Looking good to me so far.

Took my first spore print from the same oyster mushroom from above. Going to let it dry for a week or so and then test it out on agar.

GT and B+ colonized very nicely and probably were ready quite some time ago. Need to buy a new tub for a fruiting chamber. The Shiitake are moving along but much slower.

Anyone grown reishi? I’ve heard it is such a fast colonizer but mine is barely moving along. It was showing some decent white fuzz around the outside and then I shook it up vigorously about 2 weeks ago and not much more progress. Not seeing any contam yet.

Maybe I needed more LC to begin with or maybe it grows better at a diff temp? Everything is at room temp which is about 76F.

10 Likes

Just curious if anyone here has created their own laminar flow hood. I came across this very simple one and was thinking of giving it a try as I just keep thinking the SAB will be a pain in the ass to work in.

6 Likes

Ya it’s common to get some growth. I try to make my plates up at least a week before needing them that way if any contams will show while still sealed before adding spores. Even if contam there is a way to save it by cleaning up a culture to make a clean one. If interested let me know I’ll find some links. Also think @seamonkey84 has grown rieshe or whatever.lol
@deeez99
Laminar flowhoods are great dyi isn’t hard. Important to get quality filter and proper blower motor. They make lot of mycology easier. No s.a.b. can work in open space and have room to move your hands. If made right should be more effective then a still air box s.a.b. but I’m cheap and don’t mind sterilizing sab to do my work.
Flow hoods are better for people doing large numbers of cultures and inoculations.

4 Likes

But honestly, you can get same results in a simple still air box. The same sterile techniques and details still apply working in front of a flow hood, just a slightly more wiggle room or forgiving for some errors.

4 Likes

Great idea thanks, hadn’t thought of that.

Right on, thanks for the reply and link. It does seem like most use a SAB.

1 Like

I built a verticals flow hood. but since I don’t keep it set up, I don’t feel like doing mycology stuff most of the time. Setting up the “mobile lab” was cool and fun the first 3-5 times…

1 Like

finally got some Nats on grain going - THANKS AGAIN @420noob - a few more days then I shall put them CVG - been trying to get a clean batch of mushies for a while

and some nice looking agar plates at different stages - there are TYC, Acadian and Gulf Coast as well as Cambodians - and a couple of Reishi

The Reishi that si growing have just been cut and the second bag which

I left has started growing through the airpatch

11 Likes

:flushed:

9 Likes

You need to harvest them mushies cause you got mycelium ready to throw more fruits in that tub! What strain is that? Looking good. If you carefully twist and pull when harvest you’ll not pull so much substrate up when harvest. That will help keep your surface level and help subsequent flushes be fuller. Sometimes they are rooted really good though.lol

8 Likes

that mycelium looks nice and healthy

4 Likes

Yeah, that central pinset could be an insane flush!

3 Likes

Yet another fruit from a block I’ve completely ignored and forgotten about lol.

13 Likes

Wow that looks amazing and massive! What size are those bags for reference?

So I know better than do summer runs cause of extreme heat yet here I am.lol got 5 jars running some are bacterial but should still get a couple ok flushes per jar. Hopefully this will keep me sitting on my hands until the temps drop.

11 Likes

Those arent bad. Might end up with some splotchy fruits but they’ll be fine for tea’s. I assume you spawn to bulk, make sure your coir is on the drier side. I’d go less than field capacity. You probably know though
When I’ve had jars like that sometimes I let them overcolonize for a few extra weeks…the bad grains just stick in the jar after shaking and no noticeable effects.
Extra dry grains before pc’ing may help in the future for summertime(trich/yeast/bacterial season). If its a strong culture it’ll eat it up.

2 Likes

Thanks man ya was a great culture to lc 6 months ago lol. Put to agar still clean but the 90° inside just destroy my jars even pf Tek. This was a throw together use old lc before dead and use year old bag of whole oats. 5 shoeboxes of a couple flushes will be cool with me. This heat can be managed with the low rh but like right now at 75% outside so close to 50% inside. This will turn the fruits into a good if not isolate or super strong culture. Shoeboxes are ideal and I can have some success but it’s a recipe for loss.lol. That’s why I like shoeboxes 5 separate little grows throwing 1-2 out no biggy but a 54 qt or bigger tub I don’t think I could handle the stress of trashing that big of a grow.lol. These were colonized for about 5 days like to make sure the wet grains against glass are surrounded by thick white mycelium. I know that’s not normally what you want but with contam imo to encapsulate the nasty ones. Not sure if makes difference by science but Ive noticed better and faster flushes. Thanks for the 411 love to see knowledgeable growers that can share little tips and tricks.

5 Likes

I been reading and learning :wink:

5 Likes

No idea what these are! But my wife took these today, so I’ll share. Let me know if you recognize anything!

8 Likes

Nope but those are cool looking for sure. The little red and orange looking ones are familiar but can’t place not magical.lol I miss living somewhere there is woods and real plant life.
@I.am.human that’s how I learned lots of reading and lots of experiments and failures. Hell some of my failures I rode out just to see what happens or affects and what not. I experiment constantly will probably run 3-4 normal shoeboxes and 1-2 I’ll try something “new” or different I guess just to see side by side or just what happens. Read read and read some more then trial, trial trial. Got me at least growing confident enough that I’m pretty good at telling if a jar is worth it or not. Thankfully coir isn’t expensive and Ive basically stopped using verm unless running PE.

5 Likes

If you increase your grain to sub ratio you can have better success, but shoeboxes are usually easier to deal with. I’ve gone 1:1 on some.
90F inside? jeez man that’s steep. I don’t have any experience there. I bet your colonization times are faster than speedy gonzales!
Old grains don’t really matter for viablility, but you can get pests. If you have freezer space you can freeze grains, some grain mills are always infested from my experience you know in a week or 2 after bringing, up to a few months

1 Like

I’ve played with 1:1-1:4 with a extra quart top layer and everything in-between. I’m usually going about 1:2 in winter a little heavier. Shoeboxes are my go to had such success that’s the one variable I haven’t changed unless doing pf for culture hunting. The colonizing times with good culture are pretty fast if I used rye probably faster. I just want to use up this bag of oats if come to like wbs so much better so figured funk it. Ya desert heat and old house don’t like cool homes.

3 Likes